2024 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

I think it shows a lack of ambition on Renault's part. But I get why they are going this route, if they are inching towards selling the team then switching to a customer
PU will make it more valuable. Especially if Mercedes have the best PU in 2026. But you can't bank on that.

Renault should probably just pull out of F1 entirely, there is no point in them being in the sport if they aren't building engines.

Jambier

Not a surprise but so sad.

Anyway even the Alpine cars brand will probably disappear again in a few years ( being just a fully EV brand with modified Renault EV)

bauc

Epic failure by Renault, don't get me wrong, its not a first time a manufacturer to retreat from the sport, but to make your own team from factory to customer is a brain fart at best .... what a sad ending for Renault and Alpine to that matter, I'm sure the team will go for a sale next year, I don't see them competing as Alpine in 2026.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

yinlad

bauc wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 08:43
Epic failure by Renault, don't get me wrong, its not a first time a manufacturer to retreat from the sport, but to make your own team from factory to customer is a brain fart at best .... what a sad ending for Renault and Alpine to that matter, I'm sure the team will go for a sale next year, I don't see them competing as Alpine in 2026.
No point wasting money on a PU project that isn't working and no one else is buying. It does speak really poorly for the PU operation but on the contrary this surely makes running the F1 operation as a whole more affordable for Renault now so why leave. Particularly if a better engine allows them to fight further up the field
MVRC - Panthera

bauc

yinlad wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 09:19
bauc wrote:
No point wasting money on a PU project that isn't working and no one else is buying. It does speak really poorly for the PU operation but on the contrary this surely makes running the F1 operation as a whole more affordable for Renault now so why leave. Particularly if a better engine allows them to fight further up the field
There is huge resistance inside the team, majority of the employees feel this is a betrayal, and I don't think there will be a will to fight & to push beyond 2025, thus in opinion team goes for sale, with Andretti the most likely candidate for the ''seat''
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

yinlad

bauc wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 09:31
yinlad wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 09:19
bauc wrote:
There is huge resistance inside the team, majority of the employees feel this is a betrayal, and I don't think there will be a will to fight & to push beyond 2025, thus in opinion team goes for sale, with Andretti the most likely candidate for the ''seat''
Maybe inside the PU team. No one I know there feels 'betrayed', the PU stuff is so separate from the Enstone operation changing to Mercedes PU will barely impact them

As a team that's already operating at the cost cap with a full staff, Andretti would need to layoff 100s of people from Enstone, or people they've hired in the last 12 months for F1 projects. Discard the facilities they've bought etc. makes no sense to buy Alpine, even if it were for sale
MVRC - Panthera

Mansell89
Mansell89

It’s been a very tough decade for Renault since the hybrid era. When you look at what Honda have done after a very tough start, it has to be said Renault have been so disappointing.

I like to see manufacturers in the sport so this is a sad day.

I guess we do have 5 manufacturers in 2026 in Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda, Red Bull PT and Audi, so we’re not absolutely limited, and Astons switch from Merc to Honda means Merc aren’t (net) adding any additional supply.

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 12:40
It’s been a very tough decade for Renault since the hybrid era. When you look at what Honda have done after a very tough start, it has to be said Renault have been so disappointing.

I like to see manufacturers in the sport so this is a sad day.

I guess we do have 5 manufacturers in 2026 in Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda, Red Bull PT and Audi, so we’re not absolutely limited, and Astons switch from Merc to Honda means Merc aren’t (net) adding any additional supply.
                             PU Manufactures ->      M  F  R  H  A
Like to see a more equitable PUs to teams split than 4, 2, 2, 1, 1. Could be 2,2,2,2,2. Alpine should be not allowed 
to go to Merc or one of the other Merc teams should be force out (make it 3, 2, 2, 2, 1). It gives Merc a competitive 
edge in reliability. Since they haven't started building the Cars it has no cost associated with changing PU teams.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mansell89 wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 12:40
Renault had a great engine in 2019 and 2020. They just didn't have the car to show it. The 2019 Ferrari PU showed that good engine with bad chassis is useless.

Honda's perception benefitted a lot from having Red Bull chassis. Red Bull won races even with poor Renault engines from 2014-2018. The Alpha Tauri was nothing special with the same engine.
A lion must kill its prey.

mzso
mzso

Was there ever an actual manufacturer team that wasn't using said manufacturers engine? (I don't mean marketing nonsense like Alfa Romeo was a few years ago)

FW17

mzso wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 19:22
Was there ever an actual manufacturer team that wasn't using said manufacturers engine? (I don't mean marketing nonsense like Alfa Romeo was a few years ago)
Mclaren, Aston Martin

Sevach
Sevach

FW17 wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 19:25
mzso wrote:
Mclaren, Aston Martin
Aston Martin uses AMG engines in their road cars too.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Sevach wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 19:37
FW17 wrote:
mzso wrote:
Mclaren, Aston Martin
Aston Martin uses AMG engines in their road cars too.
Don't McLaren technically outsource their engines as well??
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Sevach
Sevach

PapayaFan481 wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 20:09

Don't McLaren technically outsource their engines as well??
Their V8 is derived from an old Nissan racing engine, but i think they bought the company that makes them(at least i heard something regarding that).

mzso
mzso

FW17 wrote:
mzso wrote:
Mclaren, Aston Martin
I don't think McLaren qualifies. But I guess AM does.