2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
03 Oct 2024, 20:34
I don't know how much Lawrence is paying Alonso in brown envelopes, but this is why it's hard to see Verstappen on the team, helping Lance.

Jacques Villeneuve as a credible source? Alonso is not there to make Lance a champion.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Oct 2024, 21:01
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
03 Oct 2024, 20:34
I don't know how much Lawrence is paying Alonso in brown envelopes, but this is why it's hard to see Verstappen on the team, helping Lance.

Jacques Villeneuve as a credible source? Alonso is not there to make Lance a champion.

Jacques Villeneuve as quoted by Marca ! How could that be wrong ? :)

Although it sounds about right. There is something there unspoken between Alonso and Lawrence that He needs to use kid gloves with Lance. Like destroy on track but not in public. Always have his back in public.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Villeneuve is as close to the team as we are . He just makes statements to be in the media. Irrelevant.

The only thing I want to add is that with every % of shares Stroll sen. sells, the more STR jun. will be under threat to perfom, because other shareholders want to see just perfomance. From the car and the drivers.

He sold some shares to Arctos in 2023, now 20-25% to HPS. It's not like Stroll can do what he wants anymore, although he still has the majority.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
03 Oct 2024, 22:12
Villeneuve is as close to the team as we are . He just makes statements to be in the media. Irrelevant.

The only thing I want to add is that with every % of shares Stroll sen. sells, the more STR jun. will be under threat to perfom, because other shareholders want to see just perfomance. From the car and the drivers.

He sold some shares to Arctos in 2023, now 20-25% to HPS. It's not like Stroll can do what he wants anymore, although he still has the majority.
They bought the team for 117M, are selling 20-25% for 350-500M. Not to shabby. They made back all the money they invested, got back double what they invested and still own 70% of the team. They're playing with house money and you think they'll question Lawrence's decisions?
Last edited by diffuser on 05 Oct 2024, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

zoroastar

its a strange situation. obviously fernando is supporting stroll jr more than he has any other teammate, ever. as long as it doesnt spill over onto the track, i dont think it really matters. alonso seems fine with it. and since newey has been confirmed hes going to make sure that there is a clear difference between the 2 in performance. i think stroll sr probably expected alonso to drop off of a cliff eventually and make his kid look like a great driver. but i dont think its going to work out like that. time will tell how stroll sr will react when 45 yo alonso is still leaving his kid in the dust.

edit: dropping the better driver for some family favoritism is the type of thing that i dont see newey supportiing at all. hes quit teams for driver choices that he didnt agree with.

-wkst-
-wkst-

and you think they'll question Lawrence decisions?
[/quote]

It's business, they would be foolish if they don't. Especially if you are a private equity firm like Arctos or HPS, who just want to squeeze out the most money for their investors as possible.

As soon as Stroll sen. doesn't has the majority anymore, the best possible (and available) driver will be in the 2nd seat, logically.

And to be honest with 1 thing:
That the team is valued now at such a price has less to do with Stroll and his investments (which are great!!!), but much more with the increased value of F1 itself. Every team in F1 is worth much more than five years ago. Stroll had a great timing to buy the team, but very much for the reason that his son needed a team at that moment.

peewon

I think Stroll Sr. and Alonso like each other but F1 relationships are week to week. I think the understanding is that unless AM is out and out the best team on the grid, there isnt really much benefit in holding Alonso back. It'll be more interesting if they're actually competing for wins. We've already seen Stroll get the first preference on strategy even when he's outqualified by Alonso. I think the compromise will be Alonso getting his swan song with a win and then pushing Lance. The F1 media will obviously try to fuel the flames in the meantime. Just like after not really hearing much about Lance when he was paired with Vettel. as soon as Alonso started getting regular podiums, a flurry of "Lance is not fit for formula 1" articles started coming out because it couldnt just be that Alonso is good.

-wkst-
-wkst-

peewon wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 10:02
It'll be more interesting if they're actually competing for wins. We've already seen Stroll get the first preference on strategy even when he's outqualified by Alonso. I think the compromise will be Alonso getting his swan song with a win and then pushing Lance.
When they are quite equal pace wise - STR will always get the prefence - for obvious reasons.

But how many times ALO was hindered by STR last year to get one of his podiums? Exactly. Zero times.
The air at the top of F1 is thin. As long as ALO is able to up his game whenever he smells a podium or even win, STR won't be in his way - as he is simply too slow. When ALO is not able (to drive at such a level) anymore, it's simply time to retire.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 13:30
Without a doubt, one of the most "attentive" topics by the Italian team concerns the mechanics of the single-seater. Suspension schemes that will be revised in geometry to find the perfect interaction with the car's aerodynamics. The bellies will also undergo a clear reshaping. On this point a clarification must be made. The Red Bull-style "shark inlets" did not convince the technicians. The advantages of this solution with inverted bellies were supposed to provide an important qualitative step in the management of flows, but the benefit obtained did not respect the values estimated in the design phase.

For this reason, Ferrari has studied a new configuration, starting from the more conventional base of the McLaren, where, however, according to what our editorial staff has learned, an aggressive development has been completed that will go hand in hand with the changes in the upper area of the bellies. Clearly, there are still several months to go before the presentation of the F1 car that will participate in the 2025 racing campaign. For this reason, taking some solutions for granted is never wise. However, the "technical furrow" has been traced and will be carried forward with confidence.
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... -2026.html
Imagine if AM arrives in Austin with shark inlets. It would fit this team. :lol:

peewon

-wkst- wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 10:56
peewon wrote:
It'll be more interesting if they're actually competing for wins. We've already seen Stroll get the first preference on strategy even when he's outqualified by Alonso. I think the compromise will be Alonso getting his swan song with a win and then pushing Lance.
When they are quite equal pace wise - STR will always get the prefence - for obvious reasons.

But how many times ALO was hindered by STR last year to get one of his podiums? Exactly. Zero times.
The air at the top of F1 is thin. As long as ALO is able to up his game whenever he smells a podium or even win, STR won't be in his way - as he is simply too slow. When ALO is not able (to drive at such a level) anymore, it's simply time to retire.
There was a few times where they pitted Lance first even when Alonso was ahead. I think Bahrain'23 was one such time but it didn't make a difference in the end. Usually when Alonso was fighting for podiums, Lance wasnt close but when they are both fighting in the 7-10 range and Alonso is ahead, Ive seen Lance get the first pit stop many times. Which is fine. I think Alonso doesnt care too much when he himself isnt fighting for anything significant.

FNTC
FNTC

Alonso knows he is there to try to help make Lance a future champion, but I am pretty certain that if Alonso gets a car that he can fight with, he is going to do his best to get another championship, and then he can help Lance after that.

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 07:34
its a strange situation. obviously fernando is supporting stroll jr more than he has any other teammate, ever. as long as it doesnt spill over onto the track, i dont think it really matters. alonso seems fine with it. and since newey has been confirmed hes going to make sure that there is a clear difference between the 2 in performance. i think stroll sr probably expected alonso to drop off of a cliff eventually and make his kid look like a great driver. but i dont think its going to work out like that. time will tell how stroll sr will react when 45 yo alonso is still leaving his kid in the dust.

edit: dropping the better driver for some family favoritism is the type of thing that i dont see newey supportiing at all. hes quit teams for driver choices that he didnt agree with.
If he wasn't happy with it before ...he's in love now for sure !

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 10:56
peewon wrote:

can't argue with that.

diffuser

FNTC wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 22:42
Alonso knows he is there to try to help make Lance a future champion, but I am pretty certain that if Alonso gets a car that he can fight with, he is going to do his best to get another championship, and then he can help Lance after that.
Nothing has changed about Alonso except his audio toward his team mate. What happens on the track is still 100% all out, NO-HOLDS-BARRED!