2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScuderiaLeo

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Serra spotted today in Maranello, there are many pictures online. I hope in a few years we can look back on this day as the start of something wonderful.

The Race did an interview with Leclerc and while many of the answers are repetitive, it also had some interesting tidbits about his and the team's performance this year.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Without a doubt, one of the most "attentive" topics by the Italian team concerns the mechanics of the single-seater. Suspension schemes that will be revised in geometry to find the perfect interaction with the car's aerodynamics. The bellies will also undergo a clear reshaping. On this point a clarification must be made. The Red Bull-style "shark inlets" did not convince the technicians. The advantages of this solution with inverted bellies were supposed to provide an important qualitative step in the management of flows, but the benefit obtained did not respect the values estimated in the design phase.

For this reason, Ferrari has studied a new configuration, starting from the more conventional base of the McLaren, where, however, according to what our editorial staff has learned, an aggressive development has been completed that will go hand in hand with the changes in the upper area of the bellies. Clearly, there are still several months to go before the presentation of the F1 car that will participate in the 2025 racing campaign. For this reason, taking some solutions for granted is never wise. However, the "technical furrow" has been traced and will be carried forward with confidence.
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... -2026.html
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 13:30
The bellies will also undergo a clear reshaping. On this point a clarification must be made. The Red Bull-style "shark inlets" did not convince the technicians. The advantages of this solution with inverted bellies were supposed to provide an important qualitative step in the management of flows, but the benefit obtained did not respect the values estimated in the design phase.
I think it was said by formu1a.uno Newey disagreed with the shark inlets which however was pushed by Wache and Co regardless. If what is being said is correct, it seems Ferrari's engineers have ultimately agreed with Newey.

yooogurt

KimiRai wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 13:44
I think it was said by formu1a.uno Newey disagreed with the shark inlets which however was pushed by Wache and Co regardless. If what is being said is correct, it seems Ferrari's engineers have ultimately agreed with Newey.
As I remember they said he hated the bazookas on the engine cover, and it was formulapassion not formu1a uno
FORZA FERRARI!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Based on performance, the entire car was hated...
A lion must kill its prey.

f1316
f1316

yooogurt wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 14:32
KimiRai wrote:
04 Oct 2024, 13:44
As I remember they said he hated the bazookas on the engine cover, and it was formulapassion not formu1a uno
Not that I know what I’m talking about, but when everyone was saying how incredible it was that RB had changed the game again (based on zero data), I did also question if it could be a backwards step (with my CFD eyes :lol: ). In fairness, according to Max - which I believe - it’s really not to do with the visual aspects of the car anyway, so we were all speculating, but it goes to show how you can’t jump to conclusions, even when the initial results seem to indicate success (and especially when it’s based on these “oh well it’s Red Bull, they must be right” tropes).

Xyz22
Xyz22

Jock Clear on Ferrari and Leclerc

ScuderiaLeo

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Oct 2024, 16:45
Jock Clear on Ferrari and Leclerc
Great interview. Thank you for sharing. Here are the interesting parts I noted while listening:
  • Leclerc had the qualities of a championship-level driver in 2022, but Ferrari as a team fell short. The team simply wasn't ready for a championship battle that year, and their lack of preparation showed in their race execution.
  • There were staff who believed that all the driver had to do was drive the car, and when they lost, it was because he didn't meet expectations. However, there is so much more that goes into winning in F1 than just the driver. Many of the times the driver "failed," the issue was not his performance alone.
  • Historically, tire management was not a priority for Ferrari or Leclerc. The mindset seemed to be that if they excelled on Saturday, the best possible result would follow on Sunday. This approach was short-sighted. This year's success in races has come from a shift in mindset to a more balanced focus between Saturday qualifying and Sunday race execution.
  • Leclerc's tire management has always been solid, with Austria 2022 being a prime example. Of course, Leclerc is still and always improving in that area, but his race management, including how he handles the overall race strategy and keeps pace, has been the area of greatest growth recently.
  • On that note, losing to Sainz in Singapore was a tough moment for Leclerc. Going into the weekend, he might have been the favourite to win, but his teammate took the victory instead. The theoretical loss was painful for him and really pushed him to improve himself, looking at his weaknesses and where he can improve.
  • Leclerc might be the best qualifier of this era; his ability to extract performance from the car during qualifying is exceptional. Though comparing him to previous greats like Schumacher and Hakkinen is difficult, due to the differing eras.
  • Ferrari has built a cohesive support team around Leclerc, including his race engineer and performance engineer, to make sure they cover all aspects of his performance. Not only Clear, but the whole team contributes to ensuring Leclerc is comfortable, confident, and has faith in the team's decisions, ultimately allowing him to perform at his best.
  • Leclerc is ready to win a world championship, but Ferrari needs to consistently provide a car capable of competing at the front. And even then, Clear emphasized that winning a title requires more than just having a fast car; it demands alignment and excellence across the whole team, similar to what Mercedes and Red Bull have managed in recent years. When Ferrari reaches that level, Clear fully believes Leclerc will bring them the title.
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 07 Oct 2024, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
07 Oct 2024, 18:23
There were staff who believed that all the driver had to do was drive the car, and when they lost, it was because he didn't meet expectations. However, there is so much more that goes into winning in F1 than just the driver. Many of the times the driver "failed," the issue was not his performance alone.
PTSD trigger, like reading Binotto's statements all over again...

Thanks for sharing Xyz and thanks for highlights Leo :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Oct 2024, 19:21
ScuderiaLeo wrote:
07 Oct 2024, 18:23
There were staff who believed that all the driver had to do was drive the car, and when they lost, it was because he didn't meet expectations. However, there is so much more that goes into winning in F1 than just the driver. Many of the times the driver "failed," the issue was not his performance alone.
PTSD trigger, like reading Binotto's statements all over again...

https://media1.tenor.com/m/5RCgimmxnVYAAAAC/the-big.gif

Thanks for sharing Xyz and thanks for highlights Leo :D

Vanja #66

“And his race management, you look at Monza, it’s just exceptional. When everything is lined up, he can deliver. It’s one of those things that I’ve often battled – mentioning no names, but if I give you the words, you’ll know exactly whose mouth they came from – there was a lot of ‘we pay him a lot of money, he just needs to drive the ‘king car’. And you’re like, if you think that’s what it’s all about, you’re missing something, because there’s a whole lot of stuff that needs to go on to get all those ducks lined up.”

Everyone knows... At this point, we can safely disregard Monaco, Silverstone and Hungary 2022 as strategy blunders, it was intentional.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Oct 2024, 09:30
“And his race management, you look at Monza, it’s just exceptional. When everything is lined up, he can deliver. It’s one of those things that I’ve often battled – mentioning no names, but if I give you the words, you’ll know exactly whose mouth they came from – there was a lot of ‘we pay him a lot of money, he just needs to drive the ‘king car’. And you’re like, if you think that’s what it’s all about, you’re missing something, because there’s a whole lot of stuff that needs to go on to get all those ducks lined up.”

Everyone knows... At this point, we can safely disregard Monaco, Silverstone and Hungary 2022 as strategy blunders, it was intentional.
So glad the clown is gone—what a disgrace he was… and still is.
Last edited by ing. on 08 Oct 2024, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Oct 2024, 09:30

The Pharaoh was diabolical.

ScuderiaLeo

What angers me the most is looking at the responses to the interview, where people still think the main reason why Ferrari lost in 2022 was because of Leclerc's crash in France. Never mind how Clear himself says in the video Ferrari weren't ready for a battle, and the team as a whole couldn't compete with Red Bull...

If Ferrari shows up next year with the same tire issues as this season, I think I'll be inconsolable from my disappointment. :lol: Unless Leclerc falls off heavily in the last few races, I believe this will be his best season. Ferrari need to capitalize on the line up they have next year.

f1316
f1316

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
08 Oct 2024, 23:25
What angers me the most is looking at the responses to the interview, where people still think the main reason why Ferrari lost in 2022 was because of Leclerc's crash in France. Never mind how Clear himself says in the video Ferrari weren't ready for a battle, and the team as a whole couldn't compete with Red Bull...

If Ferrari shows up next year with the same tire issues as this season, I think I'll be inconsolable from my disappointment. :lol: Unless Leclerc falls off heavily in the last few races, I believe this will be his best season. Ferrari need to capitalize on the line up they have next year.
I mean, the reason we lost 2022 was primarily because Red Bull had a much faster car in races during the second half of the season - and that, likely but never confirmed, is because of the new TD (which, arguably again, was also Binotto’s fault for not blocking or even using the veto) - but the strategy and reliability issues didn’t help. A couple of errors from Leclerc (Imola and France) were no more than either Max or Lewis made the prior year.