2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bluechris

Re: 2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Oct 2024, 07:46
Ground effet tunnels on a bike? What are you talking about?
Oh yeah... they are there some years now and when they appeared was the time i stopped watching MotoGP.
This ruined everything imo and i don't like it at all mostly the huge ugly wings in the fairing

See this video that explains almost everything...

Farnborough
Farnborough

The Italian manufacturers were there years ago

https://www.mcnews.com.au/1972-mv-agust ... s-not-new/

:D

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

B Sport or Buchan motorsport has a youtube thing 'MotoGP aero problems explained'
it's the best
sorry I can't get a link to work

Farnborough
Farnborough

Is it this one ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

A lion must kill its prey.

Andres125sx

Good video!

Like they say, very interesting from a technical point of view, but it makes racing worse

Chuckjr

Incredibly disappointed in Acosta throwing it away both races from pole and in the sprint while leading no less, but as a rookie maybe this is to be expected? I’ve not watched Moto GP enough years yet to know if it’s common. But no matter, I really like PA’s attitude and whole approach, so hopefully this won’t be an omen for his career.

I continue to be impressed with MM. The guy is so incredibly talented. Next year when he’s on a factory Ducati, it will be epic. He should wipe the floor with Bagnaia (lol), who seems to only shine when he’s out front leading, but has also cost himself a lot of points crashing while leading….so….I think MM’s aggression and mental toughness will finish Bagnaia next year. Maybe they should offer Acosta, Bagnaia’s seat in 2026 :)

I’ve noticed every weekend it seems there’s a different guy who somehow blows away the competition and carries good speed the whole weekend. It’s fascinating to watch as you never know who’s going to be the dude that steps up each race. Lots of teams can deliver a race winning bike in this formula, so it’s not always the same team. Though there are trends, most any of the top 5-6 guys can win most any weekend, which is a refreshing change as an F1 fan. Moto GP really allows for passing and is much more about rider prowess than bike dominance. If a racer has pace they can pass their way to the front even if they start way way back without need for pit stops or trick strategies. It’s much more about the rider which is awesome. It’s really enjoyable to watch as basically the top 5-6 guys most every race have a genuine chance to win.

Im hoping Martin takes the title this year as I think he’s a better and more mentally tough rider than Bagnaia, and so deserves it. Sad he didn’t get a Ducati factory ride next year. He will have moments of glory on the KTM, but I don’t think it will be enough to seriously challenge for the title, but it will be fun to watch nevertheless.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Farnborough
Farnborough

I agree, some very good racing currently.

I dont know where other statement of "making racing worse" have their origin, its a particularly competitive and close year for the championship with each of the protagonists right at their limit of skill, as it should be.

PA came with reputation, a view supported by MM, and shows exactly why that's so. A little rough & ready, but spectacular and highly skilled too. Even crashed and entered the gravel with some considerable style :D

The racing with MM and EB throughout was v-close and thrilling in itself, so tight and with each running right at ability of tyres etc.

The launches of both MM & JM were spectacular from back in the grid, the onboards showing just how close everything was into first few corners.

They are certainly learning to push these bikes so hard, all of the devices I don’t have a passion for but it definitely doesn't stop some spectacular races developing.

JM will be on Aprillia bike next season, probably a skill set they really need to crystallise their own performance. MV currently riding is just too flaky in application to fully achieve a season length competitive output.

I'm looking forward to this championship going down to the wire, they're always good when it comes to that in the last race.

Andres125sx

Chuckjr wrote:
08 Oct 2024, 03:39
Incredibly disappointed in Acosta throwing it away both races from pole and in the sprint while leading no less, but as a rookie maybe this is to be expected?
Indeed. But actually this season...

Bagnaia crashed while leading
Martin crashed while leading
Marquez crashed while leading
Acosta crashed while leading

IMHO tires are even more unpredictable than we think, there must be some other factor apart from dirty air affecting pressure and grip, it cannot be a coincidence than every top rider in MotoGP has crashed while leading

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Oct 2024, 08:34

IMHO tires are even more unpredictable than we think, there must be some other factor apart from dirty air affecting pressure and grip, it cannot be a coincidence than every top rider in MotoGP has crashed while leading
This is not unusual. Riding a MotoGP bike is hard. You are punished more readily for mistakes. It's not like F1 where the cars have become much easier to drive.
A lion must kill its prey.

Andres125sx

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Oct 2024, 21:56
Andres125sx wrote:
08 Oct 2024, 08:34

This is not unusual. Riding a MotoGP bike is hard. You are punished more readily for mistakes. It's not like F1 where the cars have become much easier to drive.
No idea when did you start watching MotoGP, but for someone like me who watch MotoGP (500cc) since Doohan days, that is VERY unusual. Some crash while leading is normal, but so many, at very same season, with so many different riders, actually is very unusual and there must be some reason. Not sure if tires, aero, or a combination of both, but I have no doubt there´s some reason

Maybe aero? At F1, drivers complain about wind. Some gust can reduce grip. At F1 that is a problem since they can´t brake equally hard and will go long. But at MotoGP if grip is temporaly reduce due to a wind gust, that might mean a crash, and riders will never be able to predict or avoid that kind of crash. Just speculation on my side but I think it makes sense

MotoGP is also much easier to ride btw. 4 stroke engines, traction control, anti-wheelie... compare that to a 500cc 2 stroke engine, with no electronic aids, and nowadays MotoGP is much, much easier. It´s also less demanding physically than Moto2, said by riders who start riding MotoGP after some seasons at Moto2. Electronic aids reduce physical effort needed to keep the beast under control

Chuckjr

Man you guys are not kidding the bikes are harder to drive than the F1 cars! Holy smokes. That’s one of the characteristics of MotoGP that I REALLY have been shocked about—how incredibly hard the bikes are to ride. Even dominant guys will still crash with a big lead, and we’ve seen that a lot this year. You never know if the rider will make the corner. It really makes for excitement every single lap. Just fantastic. And yes, mistakes are MUCH more heavily penalized with bikes as it almost always ends in a crash. I like that—make a mistake and you’re done. Racing should be that way. Perfection matters. I think F1 racing would greatly improve if making a mistake was as costly as it is in MotoGP.

Ah! My bad. Yes JM will indeed be on the Aprillia next year. Thank you for that correction. I’m really hoping he lights it up next year. He will REALLY want to beat MM since he basically took his seat. Ducati must have really wanted MM because JM has a good chance to win the championship and could have carried the number 1 to them. Now it may go to Aprillia—which would be awesome. =D>

I like it that this thread is not as popular as the F1 team threads. I come back from not being on the F1Tech site for 2-3 days and some of the F1 team pages (Macca for example) will have gained 10 - 15 pages of comments in just 48 hours. :wtf: It’s impossible to keep up and still have a life. :lol: I appreciate that this thread never gets that kinda traffic—which is hard to believe considering the amazing racing MotoGP offers.
Watching F1 since 1986.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I love it @chuck - that you are so enthused with the motoGP. This is what the racing ought to be - and less platforming and flag/banner/scarf waving partisanship which does sell merch and gets eyeballs on TVs...but it is not appreciating the art and challenge of the activity. F1 has lost it's way, for me, in ways that the Motogp has not. Saying that, as Liberty are now looking to buy it, we might be seeing the peak of motogp now!

If you have a chance, would honestly recommend getting your eyes onto the Moto3 races too - they are only 10 secs (ish) slower on 60hp bikes and the levels of outright insanity and balls from these guys is another level. I would say that there are more heart in mouth moments and crazy results in it.

The current motogp bikes are insane things. I like to think I could give one a good go - but I know my levels and I would still be 15s a lap off the pace even on one of these! I would love to try to get the stupendous levels of acceleration into a 'normal' feeling level..but no..the intimidation would be intense.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Farnborough
Farnborough

I feel the chance to have MM in the factory team is of significant importance and would be to any factory in all honesty.

There's obviously finite time to do this with his career, competitiveness and desire understandably being more limited now than a much younger rider just entering this class. It's an opportunity I agree they, Ducati, shouldn't have missed, even with the outcome it has forced with their other riders.

The mix up I feel will make for a determined and hyper competitive field next year with many now wanting to prove their worth to even greater degree. With EB on KTM and second year for PA there too, then JM influence in Aprillia, there's some good racing to come.

Obserervers often reference older times as being better, for whatever reason. I've seen enough of the good times in Moto-GP & 500 class before it, to know that I'm right in the middle of watching a very good period of the class, machines and riders right now.

More suspicious of the next rule change disturbing this level in reality for me.

Chuckjr

CMSMJ1 wrote:
10 Oct 2024, 09:51
I love it @chuck - that you are so enthused with the motoGP. This is what the racing ought to be - and less platforming and flag/banner/scarf waving partisanship which does sell merch and gets eyeballs on TVs...but it is not appreciating the art and challenge of the activity. F1 has lost it's way, for me, in ways that the Motogp has not. Saying that, as Liberty are now looking to buy it, we might be seeing the peak of motogp now!

If you have a chance, would honestly recommend getting your eyes onto the Moto3 races too - they are only 10 secs (ish) slower on 60hp bikes and the levels of outright insanity and balls from these guys is another level. I would say that there are more heart in mouth moments and crazy results in it.

The current motogp bikes are insane things. I like to think I could give one a good go - but I know my levels and I would still be 15s a lap off the pace even on one of these! I would love to try to get the stupendous levels of acceleration into a 'normal' feeling level..but no..the intimidation would be intense.
Cheers mate!

Yes those bikes would scare the piss outa me.

It would be tragic if Liberty bought MotoGP. I really hope that does not happen. They have absolutely ruined F1. I never thought I would see the day I missed Bernie Ecclestone, but by golly I have lived to see that day. SMH. #-o
Watching F1 since 1986.