2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 09:14
RedNEO wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 07:10
He’s definitely extending. Lawrence sees him as his son and Newey loves him! The prodigal son extends!
Stroll is a business man, they will target VER for 2027. And if thats happening, ALO is out. No doubt.

And if there is a chance to get VER already for 2026, they will take it.

STR will be in the 2nd seat, as long as his father is the majority shareholder.
Keep telling yourself that :lol:

RedNEO

Haters gonna be mad when Alonso extends. Gonna be glorious!

djones
djones

If they have a fast car why would they want a fast driver to partner Lance?

The intention is for Lance to become WDC.

-wkst-
-wkst-

RedNEO wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 10:19
-wkst- wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

He’s definitely extending. Lawrence sees him as his son and Newey loves him! The prodigal son extends!
Stroll is a business man, they will target VER for 2027. And if thats happening, ALO is out. No doubt.

I would rather say you should stop thinking like a little schoolboy.

It is not like I prefer this scenario, as once ALO is out of F1, my interest in F1 will decrease a lot again, like 19-20.

But I am not naive, if VER is available and wants to join AMR, he will take the place. And Stroll will not sacrifice his son for ALO.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 13:17
RedNEO wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

It is not like I prefer this scenario, as once ALO is out of F1, my interest in F1 will decrease a lot again, like 19-20.

But I am not naive, if VER is available and wants to join AMR, he will take the place. And Stroll will not sacrifice his son for ALO.
That is probably the goal. Driving in F1 isn't like business where you can hire someone to get you over the top. You can hire someone but you still have to drive the car yourself!

You already see Lance not wanting to do Interviews. If he keeps getting beaten by his team mate driver, eventually he'll just retire from driving.

dren

Fred better bring back the unibrow when he starts his next championship run.
Honda!

peewon

djones wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 10:58

Yes, the ultimate dream is make Lance win. The idea, first and foremost is to win. You wont know where you stand with Lance as your lead driver. Both Lawrence and even Lance probably know that. Unless they reach a level like 2014 Mercedes, Lance would probably struggle to win WDC. So until they get to the front of the grid, its not a question. Till then you need a guy like Alonso. Apart from Lance being the WDC, Stroll would more realistically also settle for having a race winning car and maybe a constructors or drivers championship with anyone.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 10:21
Haters gonna be mad when Alonso extends. Gonna be glorious!

Doesn't that look like Kimi in the back looking in on someone taking a picture of Newey and Alonso ? :)

I know it's not him but though it was funny. Like he wants in on at Aston :)

zoroastar

-wkst- wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

maybe, maybe not. kinda hard to assign definites where people are involved. i imagine alonso brings a huge fanbase. when you compare him to stroll jr especially. if alonso is in the title hunt in 26 its going to be ugly to a lot of fans and shareholders to push him out for a midfield performing stroll. i could see stroll jr going to wec or something. he already catches so much heat from the media. i guess well just have to wait and see. after a while, how many top drivers are you going to allow to destroy your kids confidence on the track before you realize that hes not going to win a championship? on the other hand maybe newey can build a car that lance can compete with

Big Gun
Big Gun

TyreSlip wrote:
09 Oct 2024, 21:03
Felipe Drugovich announced to run Alonso's car for FP1 in Mexico.
Thats a disadvantage for Alonso on a sprint weekend no? isnt sunday race qually after P1?

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

-wkst- wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

if car is not that much great in 2026 will Max still Join in 2027? Nope. It is all dependent on how the car perform.

If car perform well... why Alonso need to retire... He will try to accumulate as much as WDC in his pocket.

So I don't see Max in AM in 2027 and beyond. He will go to Mercedes where he belongs...

I think Norris(if we win this year WDC) is good fit for AM.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Newey criticizes both 2026 engine and chassis regs

“They’re a huge change,” he told Autocar following the announcement of his switch to Aston Martin.

“I mean, I can’t remember – it probably has happened at some time in the distant past – but I can’t remember the last time we had completely new power unit and chassis regulations at the same time.

“In reality, the power unit regulations because there’s a much longer lead time associated with power unit research than there is with the chassis side.

“Then the power unit regulations were fixed quite a few years ago without, in truth, properly, considering what chassis regulations were then needed to suit those PU regs. That’s something that the FIA, with support from teams, has been battling with since. How it will work out is, in truth, still not clear.”

With the confirmation of the F1 2026 power unit rules convincing Audi to sign up for F1 as an engine supplier and team owner, as well as attracting Ford to partner with Red Bull Powertrains and Honda’s full-time return as a supplier for Aston Martin, Newey said there’s no doubting the rules have worked to keep the manufacturers happy.

But the legendary car designer said he has doubts over the spectacle of Formula 1, remaining unconvinced that the new F1 2026 regulations won’t detract from the show.

“The original idea that the FIA wanted was 400 kilowatts from the PU and 400 kilowatts from the hybrid side – the electric machine,” he said.

“They then started to realise that 400 from the electric was too much to be sustainable, in terms of sustainable from lap to lap, so they’ve reduced that to 350 but even now there is still a lot of concern that, actually, the cars will be going significantly slower at the end of straight than at the start of the straight because they just run out of battery.

“It was a regulation that was brought in really, I think, primarily to keep the existing OEMs, the manufacturers in, and hopefully attract new ones.

“In that sense, you can argue it’s been successful. Audi is coming in. Honda has reversed their decision to exit and are staying in but what the show and the spectacle will be, I think it’s a concern.

“But Formula 1, somehow, seems to have a habit of being all right on the night!”

While Newey could have opted to stay away from F1 for a few years following confirmation of his pending split from Red Bull after almost two decades, the British engineer has put pen to paper to embrace the technical challenge for 2026.

But, asked what he would have done if he had a part to play in the rule-making process, Newey said he would have done the opposite and outlined the chassis regulations first and foremost.

“I think, first of all, the most important thing for Formula 1 is the individuality of the cars,” he said.

“So if the chassis regulations, which in particular and of course, means the aerodynamic regulations, become overly restrictive, then all the cars look and look the same.

“If you look at other categories who have kind of gone one make – IndyCar, perhaps being the worst example…or best example – then they went from a very successful series with many manufacturers in it through to the mid-’90s, to then going the one-manufacturer route with Dallara.

“Then everybody runs the same car, and public interest waned. You could argue, to an extent, that’s also happened in sports cars, at times.

“I’m not saying necessarily that prescribed aerodynamic performance is the route, but I would have done the opposite.

“This is the big question of does Formula 1 need manufacturers, OEMs, in the sport or not?

“Because, to me, the value is in the teams, not the manufacturers. Manufacturers come and go – they change CEOs, who decide suddenly that, actually, they’d much rather sponsor a tennis tournament than Formula 1, and they go off in a different direction. And that happens regularly. We’ve seen it.

“The teams themselves, that’s their sole livelihood. So, unless they get themselves into deep financial trouble, they’re not going to go away.

“From a spectator point of view, I’m not sure they’re that worried about whether it’s more fuel efficient or so on and so forth.

“I also feel, frankly, that the prescribed electric route, which most European governments have gone down, is not the right route.

“They’ve done the typical governmental thing of rather than saying, ‘This is a problem’, which I totally agree with, we need to do something to help save the planet, to improve ecology, etc, rather than say, ‘Right, this is the target, you OEMs go away and come up with some proposals’.

“They’ve said, ‘This is what we want, and this is what you will do. You will now go fully electric’.

“Don’t get me wrong, I think electric has definitely has its applications. It’s a great technology. It’s clearly developing fast.

“But to say that’s the prescribed technology and that’s all you can have, without allowing the manufacturers to go away and do the research to come up with alternatives, I don’t agree with that.

“It is very anti-engineer, and it’s by no means guaranteed that it’s going to produce the right solution in all cases, it won’t.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/adrian-ne ... d-outlined

jofs89
jofs89

djones wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 10:58

The whole exercise would be completely hollow and meaningless. Aston Martin would need to have a huge car advantage and then hire a slow F1 driver in order for Lance to win. I don't understand it. This is the pinnacle of Motor sport. What sort of value would the achievement even have in this scenario?

diffuser

Big Gun wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 18:38
TyreSlip wrote:
09 Oct 2024, 21:03
Felipe Drugovich announced to run Alonso's car for FP1 in Mexico.
Thats a disadvantage for Alonso on a sprint weekend no? isnt sunday race qually after P1?
It's a disadvantage any weekend but would be impossible on a Sprint weekend as FP2 is replaced with Sprint qualifying. The sprint race replaces FP3. You only have FP1 to setup the car.
No Mexico Sprint

-wkst-
-wkst-

selvam_e2002 wrote:
11 Oct 2024, 20:03
-wkst- wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

if car is not that much great in 2026 will Max still Join in 2027? Nope. It is all dependent on how the car perform.
Well, isn’t that true for any car/team…

It’s no coincidence that both Mercedes and AMR want him, because both think they have aces, why VER could join. Mercedes and their guys tell everywhere that there 2026 engine will be best of class once again. AMR buys half of the paddock engineers, including Newey, with a state of the art factory and also a works partnership.