2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Perhaps think they didn't initially plan to change the chassis and front suspension for next year. As they decided to move to pull rod, new chassis is needed so more areas can also be improved as well. Moving the cockpit and CoG back is good, as it will allow them to load the rear a lot more than they can now without introducing understeer. It's not huge, but it can be considered almost "free" downforce when looking at aero balance requirements

Nugnes is again repeating that new gearbox will also be made, to move the engine to the rear as well. That would be a big and expensive change, but it's not completely impossible and it would certainly be helpful with CoG migration
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

KimiRai
KimiRai

Pretty big changes for what will be the last year of regulations. It is a possibility that Ferrari could fight for the championship in 2025. I would wait a bit before criticising Lewis for his choice :wink:

dialtone
dialtone

Regulations are different but budget cap isn’t. Have to build highly reusable parts or you won’t be able to make it.

Furthermore next regs will be about engines at the start.

organic

Motorsport.com says a new front wing for COTA and new floor parts for Mexico?

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Oct 2024, 18:43
As they decided to move to pull rod,...
Is there any info on this or it's a prediction?

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 13:17
At the moment, I think it's now a public secret basically. Not official, but every Italian outlet repeats the same thing :) Komatsu smiled and said he can't comment when formu1a.uno asked him about it months ago

#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 13:40
FDD wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 13:17
At the moment, I think it's now a public secret basically. Not official, but every Italian outlet repeats the same thing :) Komatsu smiled and said he can't comment when formu1a.uno asked him about it months ago
:D :D :D
Was asking because I did not see any info about that, so I was wandering if I missed something.
AFAIK they'll go in that direction if they find out that aero gains are appreciable with pull rod layout and if I understand well the front part of the car is dictating the whole aero flow design approach all along the rest parts and in that case we can expect other changes also. Maybe with pull rod switch they can make over bite sidepods inlets more effective, I'm guessing and you'll give, (I expect) :) your opinion on that.

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 14:01
:D :D :D
Was asking because I did not see any info about that, so I was wandering if I missed something.
AFAIK they'll go in that direction if they find out that aero gains are appreciable with pull rod layout and if I understand well the front part of the car is dictating the whole aero flow design approach all along the rest parts and in that case we can expect other changes also. Maybe with pull rod switch they can make over bite sidepods inlets more effective, I'm guessing and you'll give, (I expect) :) your opinion on that.
There are also some packaging differences other than aero. In an interview this year, Newey said that they chose pull-rod because a push-rod would be almost horizontal with their design approach so they went with pull-rod. While this might be true, angled pull rod generates slight outwash and angled push-rod generates inwash, so I doubt Newey didn't take this into account. But misdirection is still crucial in F1 and critical details must be kept secret :mrgreen:

In my view, if it tuns out to be true, the biggest and most important change for next year will be moving the cockpit to the rear. Nugnes might be right when he says another new gearbox will be made to also allow PU to move to the rear and I guess fuel tank and batteries would move as well. All of this will allow a more loaded rear end and these cars suffer from a weak front by design (very high front wing per rules and you need to keep it unloaded as much as possible to allow the floor to work at optimal point) so it's a lot easier to add rear downforce than front.

#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 14:21

While this might be true, angled pull rod generates slight outwash and angled push-rod generates inwash, so I doubt Newey didn't take this into account. But misdirection is still crucial in F1 and critical details must be kept secret :mrgreen:
Thank you for that inwash/outwash info, in that case my opinion is that the crucial decision is the aero philosophy that they'll choose for that particular part of the car and for the whole car.
Pretty ungrateful subject for discussion since "misdirection is still crucial in F1 and critical details must be kept secret" as you said.

ScuderiaLeo

organic wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 12:54
“New” front wing or simply an adjusted version of the previous one?

deadhead

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Oct 2024, 18:43
Perhaps think they didn't initially plan to change the chassis and front suspension for next year. As they decided to move to pull rod, new chassis is needed so more areas can also be improved as well. Moving the cockpit and CoG back is good, as it will allow them to load the rear a lot more than they can now without introducing understeer. It's not huge, but it can be considered almost "free" downforce when looking at aero balance requirements

Nugnes is again repeating that new gearbox will also be made, to move the engine to the rear as well. That would be a big and expensive change, but it's not completely impossible and it would certainly be helpful with CoG migration
I think it's not a secret that HAM likes the seat a far back as possible as well so that could be another benefit.

Changing so many things could also backfire, but I doubt they will make any colossal mistakes :D

yooogurt

organic wrote:
But Gazzetta says there's a new floor in Austin, hmm:

Which the technicians have been working on for about six weeks, after Leclerc's triumph at Monza, confident that they have finally solved the pesky problem of high speed shocks ( porpoise ) and added more performance to the SF-24.
ps. Serra will not only focus on the 2026 car, but will immediately contribute to the development of the 2025 car, which is in the final stages of definition. It is known by the acronym 677 or as the “Lewis car”.

https://www.gazzetta.it/motori/ferrari/ ... n-f1.shtml
FORZA FERRARI!

scuderiabrandon

yooogurt wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 17:23
organic wrote:
But Gazzetta says there's a new floor in Austin, hmm:

Which the technicians have been working on for about six weeks, after Leclerc's triumph at Monza, confident that they have finally solved the pesky problem of high speed shocks ( porpoise ) and added more performance to the SF-24.
ps. Serra will not only focus on the 2026 car, but will immediately contribute to the development of the 2025 car, which is in the final stages of definition. It is known by the acronym 677 or as the “Lewis car”.

Too much guess work atm. Corriere also says all new parts in Austin. I'll personally be waiting Formula uno to say something.

Nugnes and another source whom both agree that the upgrade will be split, use speculative language such as “could” & “seem” so automatically I think they don't really know what is going on, just rushing to get stuff out. They could be right but I take their stuff with massive grains of salt.

The mixed reports, and the lack of reports from the more reliable sources tells me perhaps the team is not sharing as much information as they have previously.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

yooogurt wrote:
It is known by the acronym 677 or as the “Lewis car”.

:lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

Chuckjr

yooogurt wrote:
It is known by the acronym 677 or as the “Lewis car”.

The alienation of CL has already begun.
smh.
Watching F1 since 1986.