Bib parc fermé ride height trick

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fourmula1
fourmula1

Re: Bib parc fermé ride height trick

I'm going to say all teams try to cheat. So this isn't a surprise in that sense and I don't hold it against them too much. But if you get found out there should be harsher penalties. :lol: Its ok until you get caught in my book.

Ride height ride height ride height. That has been the talk with this gen car from the beginning. This is a serious tool and we will never know exactly the extent of how/why/when it was used.

lio007

scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 22:06
lio007 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 21:52
scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 21:47

Then why have you wasted your resources on something that didn't need to exist. Come on now.
I don't know, making setup changes quicker during FP...
TBH I'm afraid we will never find out.
My point exactly. Why develop a system that can be done by a mechanic. It's a waste of money, time and probably added weight to the car, if it didn't add performance, performance that only came when changes were made during times when changes are not allowed to occur.

You have a point, but in a scenario set in court, your argument won't last 5 seconds.
It's a design all other teams have access to. Hence why this came up. I can't imagine a team is stupid enough to make changes in Parc ferme. Too many people change teams so it would be revealed anyway.

It's the fun part of F1: the ever paranoid teams, the ever story-hungry media and the very clever engineers responsible for all of that :D

scuderiabrandon

lio007 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 22:19
scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 22:06
lio007 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 21:52

I don't know, making setup changes quicker during FP...
TBH I'm afraid we will never find out.
My point exactly. Why develop a system that can be done by a mechanic. It's a waste of money, time and probably added weight to the car, if it didn't add performance, performance that only came when changes were made during times when changes are not allowed to occur.

You have a point, but in a scenario set in court, your argument won't last 5 seconds.
It's a design all other teams have access to. Hence why this came up. I can't imagine a team is stupid enough to make changes in Parc ferme. Too many people change teams so it would be revealed anyway.

It's the fun part of F1: the ever paranoid teams, the ever story-hungry media and the very clever engineers responsible for all of that :D
"Hence why this came up. I can't imagine a team is stupid enough to make changes in Parc ferme. Too many people change teams so it would be revealed anyway."

It is obviously a tad bit more complex than that, otherwise we wouldn't have this situation to start with. What I have inferred is that it can potentially, if my understanding is correct, be altered from the cockpit, which means no one can see you changing things.

But since that component of the car is an OSC, teams can look at the CAD designs, they've obviously spotted something that ain't quite right. Perhaps they got tipped off by an ex Red Bull employee, who knows :mrgreen:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

pantherxxx wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 21:54
Red Bull maintained their performance level in Singapore, despite the FIA already monitoring and ensuring they didn’t use the device to adjust the bib or floor. This clearly suggests that the device wasn’t a key factor in their performance. It likely had a legitimate purpose for car setup during legal periods, but after rival teams and the FIA raised concerns about its potential for misuse, Red Bull agreed to modify it to avoid any controversy.
Ah yes. Let's use your own words.
pantherxxx wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 16:01
If one of the top teams have used this, the suspicion will fall on McLaren. We've never seen any other team to be so strong in both qualifying and in the race. In Singapore, Norris was 1 sec/lap faster than Verstappen. If Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes had such a tricky solution, why were they so far behind? Moreover, all season long we have seen McLaren pushing the grey zone solutions the hardest, such as the mini DRS. Of course this is all speculation at this point.
Maybe Verstappen was that much slower in race than in qualifying because they couldn't adjust the ride height after qualy?

Quantum

Venturiation wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:36
Lol look how the thread changed after it was discovered Every team said it's redbull doing it

before the posts were that it was mercedes or mclaren and it's onlt thanks to that that they are fast

suddenly since it's redbull it becomes a nothingburger or just it gives no advantage :lol: :lol:
mental gymnastics working overtime
Its been a theme... :lol:

The signs where there I suppose.

It was visible and vocal from Max. And we had some divergence between race and Q. Wasn't pointing fingers but Red Bull were struggling over kerbs and also complaining loads about understeer. As I posted earlier today....
And to get away with that you would need huge amount of front-end (Horizontal) stiffness. How would you do it with a pliable ride when you would get uneven plank wear depending on the track direction? Clockwise you'll be wearing the left side and vice versa.
Tell tale signs of this would be huge understeer and particularly poor over kerbs.

Who has been complaining most about that?
"Interplay of triads"

Venturiation
Venturiation

A Red Bull spokesperson told BBC Sport: "Yes, (the device) exists, although it is inaccessible once the car is fully assembled and ready to run.

Jaeger
Jaeger

"Red Bull has admitted it's the Formula 1 team at the centre of the controversy over a ride-height adjustment device that has prompted FIA action ahead of the United States Grand Prix."

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/red- ... ice-probe/

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:19
"No evidence yet, however - the FIA ​​also states - and Red Bull also strongly denies it."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mwillems

Can anyone explain, is it that everyone has this means to automatically alter suspension through a device, or that an additional device to control it (located in the cockpit) has been found through the code.

My understanding was some additional means from the cockpit that isn't there on other cars, hence my belief around weight.

Because if this is something everyone has, and the only difference was the position of a controller, then why was the coding so different that it raised concerns?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Rikhart
Rikhart

mwillems wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 23:35
Can anyone explain, is it that everyone has this means to automatically alter suspension through a device, or that an additional device to control it (located in the cockpit) has been found through the code.

My understanding was some additional means from the cockpit that isn't there on other cars, hence my belief around weight.

Because if this is something everyone has, and the only difference was the position of a controller, then why was the coding so different that it raised concerns?
Who said anything about "automatically"? No one said that. What has been mentioned is a mechanical device, what did you think, they press a button and car goes down?

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Max on the T-tray 'trick' ban: "We didn't even discuss it in the briefing."

"It's a public, right? Everyone can see it. For us, it was an easy tool when the parts were not on the car. It was easy to adjust the car, but once the whole car was built together, you couldn't touch it.

It doesn't change anything. When I read it, I thought other teams were using it. Then I found out it was about us, we didn't even discuss it in the briefing."

scuderiabrandon

pantherxxx wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 00:23
Max on the T-tray 'trick' ban: "We didn't even discuss it in the briefing."

"It's a public, right? Everyone can see it. For us, it was an easy tool when the parts were not on the car. It was easy to adjust the car, but once the whole car was built together, you couldn't touch it.

It doesn't change anything. When I read it, I thought other teams were using it. Then I found out it was about us, we didn't even discuss it in the briefing."
Seemingly no one wearing an RBR shirt gets that just because you claim it is not very effective does not excuse you from the fact that it could be used to make changes when strictly prohibited not to, which is most likely what it was used for.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 18 Oct 2024, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

Rikhart wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 00:19
mwillems wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 23:35

Who said anything about "automatically"? No one said that. What has been mentioned is a mechanical device, what did you think, they press a button and car goes down?
Yes, it certainly seems like there was a means to operate the height of the floor from a device in the cockpit.

If it isn't that, what is it?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

RacePaceDemon

Venturiation wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:36
Lol look how the thread changed after it was discovered Every team said it's redbull doing it

before the posts were that it was mercedes or mclaren and it's onlt thanks to that that they are fast

suddenly since it's redbull it becomes a nothingburger or just it gives no advantage :lol: :lol:
mental gymnastics working overtime
I wouldn't bother arguing with them
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

Watto
Watto

So Red Bull.

The denial stuff I take with a grain of salt, its the standard approach even if you had been dong something sketchy . Its also not proof said device was being used in the way said either.

It probably puts Stellas comments a while back into context re careful who about throwing stones or what it it was with their rear wing.

Interesting to see how they go this weekend.