2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

they won't get a penalty as they fessed up in time. The reason they admitted it was because it would have been found later today anyway, and then they may well have got a penalty had they just not said anything

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Shots fired! I like it. Let's not bring a mega update and dominate Austin.

It would be quite a let down if Red Bull managed to claw back their pace and WDC hopes fizzle out.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

geogate wrote: ↑
17 Oct 2024, 23:28
they won't get a penalty as they fessed up in time. The reason they admitted it was because it would have been found later today anyway, and then they may well have got a penalty had they just not said anything
In some reports they say FIA already was notified in Singapore and that they monitored it. So maybe that's why Verstappen was close in qualy but no where in race.

MTudor
MTudor

I bet that Zak will be so loud this weekend :)))
Last edited by MTudor on 18 Oct 2024, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Considering that this is their second offence this year and the third offence in 3 years should we expect some kind of punishment? After all it is a clear rule breach with the only question is for how much time did that happen. Remember that Benneton was punished harshly for Option 13.

MTudor
MTudor

Darth-Piekus wrote: ↑
18 Oct 2024, 00:01
Considering that this is their second offence this year and the third offence in 3 years should we expect some kind of punishment? After all it is a clear rule breach with the only question is for how much time did that happen. Remember that Benneton was punished harshly for Option 13.

It's Redbull let's not kid ourselfs ,but it would be funny 😁😁😁

deargodhelpme
deargodhelpme

FittingMechanics wrote: ↑
17 Oct 2024, 21:37
I wrote about it in Red Bull thread but two things make sense. If Red Bull used it it would explain why McLaren had better pace at end of races. McLaren would end up on their qualy ride height while Red Bull ran a better race ride height (quicker earlier on).

Also teams probably can see when Red Bull brought it to the car, if it is in open source documents. I hope we get that info.

Btw I would be disappointed to win WDC through a penalty but then again, a win is a win.
Finally a decent explanation for this. I had been putting it down to McLaren/Lando just managing the stints differently but this would indeed make sense as well.

ispano6

deargodhelpme wrote: ↑
18 Oct 2024, 01:31
I wrote about it in Red Bull thread but two things make sense. If Red Bull used it it would explain why McLaren had better pace at end of races. McLaren would end up on their qualy ride height while Red Bull ran a better race ride height (quicker earlier on).

Also teams probably can see when Red Bull brought it to the car, if it is in open source documents. I hope we get that info.

Btw I would be disappointed to win WDC through a penalty but then again, a win is a win.
Finally a decent explanation for this. I had been putting it down to McLaren/Lando just managing the stints differently but this would indeed make sense as well.
Car gets lighter as it uses more fuel. How would the car become lower to the quali height?

Dunlay
Dunlay

ispano6 wrote: ↑
18 Oct 2024, 05:35

Car gets lighter as it uses more fuel. How would the car become lower to the quali height?
If there such a device that helps in ride height changes, then Red Bull can run quite low ride height for quali (lower than other cars) and raise as much as needed for race to balance the additional weight of fuel.
Early in the race, it would put the car in quali type ride height and allows the car to escape and build margin.
Later in the race, the car would rise as the fuel goes down and car wouldn't be as fast.
Whereas other cars, always have to go with a balanced ride height to cater to quali and race. Which is a compromise. Because McLaren is inherently faster car, when RB20's ride height goes up later in the race, they become slower than McLaren at the similar ride heights.

SilviuAgo

Dunlay wrote: ↑
18 Oct 2024, 05:55

If there such a device that helps in ride height changes, then Red Bull can run quite low ride height for quali (lower than other cars) and raise as much as needed for race to balance the additional weight of fuel.
Early in the race, it would put the car in quali type ride height and allows the car to escape and build margin.
Later in the race, the car would rise as the fuel goes down and car wouldn't be as fast.
Whereas other cars, always have to go with a balanced ride height to cater to quali and race. Which is a compromise. Because McLaren is inherently faster car, when RB20's ride height goes up later in the race, they become slower than McLaren at the similar ride heights.
=D> =D> excellent!

Ben1980
Ben1980

The issue is, there is not a clear breach of the rules as no one can prove that it was used in the way it could be used.

And still not sure this is their second issue.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Dunlay wrote: ↑
18 Oct 2024, 05:55

I'm not sure they are saying the RB was changing height throughout the race, just potentially, between Qualifying and the race start.

I thought, it waa just about running it lower in qualy then higher fir the race, getting best of both worlds.

Darth-Piekus

The issue is, there is not a clear breach of the rules as no one can prove that it was used in the way it could be used.

And still not sure this is their second issue.
Is it not a breach though? Changing ride height under parc ferme conditions as Oscar said? Reminds me of the Option 13 of Benneton. They also tried to cover it up as a forgotten code and claiming never using it but reality showed otherwise. Why even have a system to change ride height if you arent using it. They said the same BS to cover up Ferrari's engine gate. The FIA needs to get a spine and start punishing harshly because so far this iteration of the FIA are a bunch of spineless cowards that cant enforce rules unless of course they are corrupt.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It is a breach if they changed it. Problem is that no one can prove they changed it in previous races Just like Option 13 or Ferrari engine.

It is a shame but not a much you can do retroactively (maybe if someone testifies). While I agree in principle you can't punish them without proof, FIA should be able to give some sort of punishment (probably financial one) for devices that can clearly be used to cheat. The way it is currently you can cheat but you need to make sure that it is undetectable without new sensors. Once FIA adds the sensors you stop cheating.