Bib parc fermé ride height trick

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
organic

Re: Bib parc fermé ride height trick

Sevach wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 14:24
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... y-was-not/

Seems like the clearest explanation on this "trick".
Paywall removed

https://archive.is/2024.10.18-215631/ht ... y-was-not/

Vanja #66

Michael wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 14:03
Which means by definition that some part of the upper surface of the plank does not lie at Z = 0. If you bend the front of the front bib down compared to the rest of the car/floor, and the bottom of it becomes the lowest point of the car, then the upper surface of the front of the plank will be at Z=0, but the rear of the plank won't be. so the car will not meet the rules.
The bib is suspended by a damper and is allowed to move a bit when it hits a bump or kerb. I am not sure if teams are allowed to change this alignment intentionally, which is what you are asking. Various other damper setup can be made though
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

thestig84
thestig84

Watto wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 23:05
Venturiation wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 22:50
Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 22:37
Looks like many members will find this video quite revealing. Parc Ferme details at 7:22

in those 2 hours they can change the height by pretending to work on the driver seat or the pedals
if those cameras work during those 2 hours they should watch all the old footage
I am sure they will now.

I did find the demo showed - and unless that demo is a bit of a ruse to throw the FIA off - as too obvious to do in front of a scrutineer too often before they felt something was off - why is this mechanic always putting this 50cm tool in the footwell of the car. Its not like it was a small screw driver in the palm of their hand that could be well hidden.

Impossible no, just I think if the FIA miss that the any team is going to get away with an awful lot.
You are aware of extension bars for sockets? They can make a job easier, sometimes it's better without them and reaching closer to the attachment is easier. Sometimes it's personal preference. It wasn't a 50cm tool for this purpose. To me it was a bit of pantomime to make it looks as obvious as possible.

For note I am rebuilding an F1 chassis. Granted it's older but there is not much you can't access with your arm and a 1/4drive socket from the upper access nose panel. Sure you can slap on 80cm extension bars if you want, most definitely not required and would make things very unwieldy/challenging!!

Watto
Watto

thestig84 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 15:01
Watto wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 22:50

in those 2 hours they can change the height by pretending to work on the driver seat or the pedals
if those cameras work during those 2 hours they should watch all the old footage
I am sure they will now.

I did find the demo showed - and unless that demo is a bit of a ruse to throw the FIA off - as too obvious to do in front of a scrutineer too often before they felt something was off - why is this mechanic always putting this 50cm tool in the footwell of the car. Its not like it was a small screw driver in the palm of their hand that could be well hidden.

Impossible no, just I think if the FIA miss that the any team is going to get away with an awful lot.
You are aware of extension bars for sockets? They can make a job easier, sometimes it's better without them and reaching closer to the attachment is easier. Sometimes it's personal preference. It wasn't a 50cm tool for this purpose. To me it was a bit of pantomime to make it looks as obvious as possible.

For note I am rebuilding an F1 chassis. Granted it's older but there is not much you can't access with your arm and a 1/4drive socket from the upper access nose panel. Sure you can slap on 80cm extension bars if you want, most definitely not required and would make things very unwieldy/challenging!!
I am aware, just pointing out what was displayed wasn’t really a stealthy tool. And I did point out in a previous post unless it was an all for show if they ever got caught setup.

I don’t think it is but see it as entirely possible.

The above article by Hugh’s makes sense in why it’s there and how it’s useful

Feel like it’s Zac/McLaren playing mind games now that they are genuine contenders.

Just like Horner throwing back the McLaren have had to change their rear wing for this weekend. Even after the mini drs stuff was first discovered they threw out a time benefit think was certainly hugely exaggerated if not made up to made up seem far more beneficial than it really was.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Watto wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 15:30
thestig84 wrote:
Watto wrote:

I am sure they will now.

I am aware, just pointing out what was displayed wasn’t really a stealthy tool. And I did point out in a previous post unless it was an all for show if they ever got caught setup.

Feel like it’s Zac/McLaren playing mind games now that they are genuine contenders.

Just like Horner throwing back the McLaren have had to change their rear wing for this weekend. Even after the mini drs stuff was first discovered they threw out a time benefit think was certainly hugely exaggerated if not made up to made up seem far more beneficial than it really was.
2 devices, 1 job. Teams complain about a coat of paint becasue of the weight. Teams spend millions in weight reduction.

But we all know these tight margins are dropped just for convenience right.

organic

Mosin123 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:26
Watto wrote:
thestig84 wrote:

2 devices, 1 job. Teams complain about a coat of paint becasue of the weight. Teams spend millions in weight reduction.

Read the mark Hughes article

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Weight is right where you want it to be, forward low to the ground. As long as you stay under the weight limit, it's a fine option.

Mosin123
Mosin123

organic wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:29
Mosin123 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:26
Watto wrote:

Read the mark Hughes article
I did, he didnt say nothing, he waffles on a bit ( like always ), says they have two things that do the same job "The Red Bull, unlike the other cars on the grid, has two mechanisms which can change the front floor height.". Then says Redbull havent done any thing wrong, which he cant possibly know, because the FIA are still investigating video footage ( i would guess they have hours and hours to go through thoroughly, so is going to take a good chunk of time to go through 3 seasons worth of Parc ferme footage) according to Brown.

All we do know, is that the FIA have applied a seal to it, and are still examining parc ferme footage.

Mosin123
Mosin123

napoleon1981 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:30
Weight is right where you want it to be, forward low to the ground. As long as you stay under the weight limit, it's a fine option.
But yet they spend millions upon millions looking to save the microgram because they want the car to be as light as possible.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 14:53
Michael wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 14:03
Which means by definition that some part of the upper surface of the plank does not lie at Z = 0. If you bend the front of the front bib down compared to the rest of the car/floor, and the bottom of it becomes the lowest point of the car, then the upper surface of the front of the plank will be at Z=0, but the rear of the plank won't be. so the car will not meet the rules.
The bib is suspended by a damper and is allowed to move a bit when it hits a bump or kerb. I am not sure if teams are allowed to change this alignment intentionally, which is what you are asking. Various other damper setup can be made though
As per the FIA the other day "Any adjustment of the front bib clearance during parc ferme conditions is strictly prohibited by the regulations".

I have read the Mark Hughes article and it's a good one based on the information he has. But until the FIA releases more information, then the allegations of cheating won't go away. The ball is in the FIA's court at this juncture.

motobaleno

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10664487/

According to this the device weighs 2kg!! this is a ominous quantity in F1! I was shocked when I read it and I wait for more robust confim before writing anything else because if it is right this is no more a question that can be easily dismissed.

Rikhart
Rikhart

motobaleno wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:11

According to this the device weighs 2kg!! this is a ominous quantity in F1! I was shocked when I read it and I wait for more robust confim before writing anything else because if it is right this is no more a question that can be easily dismissed.
Do you understand that they need ways to setup the car? Is this so weird to you? They need nuts, bolts, connections, levers, threads, all that weighs something.

Vanja #66

Nugnes is known to make stuff up. Max just won a clean Sprint with a sealed bib adjustment. It was and is a non story, fueled by McLaren in a vendetta for losing their illegal rear wing design
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sieper

It would certainly seem that way.

motobaleno

Rikhart wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:19
motobaleno wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:11

Do you understand that they need ways to setup the car? Is this so weird to you? They need nuts, bolts, connections, levers, threads, all that weighs something.
Do you understand that, in this specific case, they have 2 different ways to do the same setup action? do you know any other example where in F1 car you spend 2 kg to add an alternative setup setting option just for "convenience".
You nothingburgers guys are climbing on mirrors...if the 2kg is an error...and it becomes 200g... ok I could agree with you. Otherwise there is some serious problem. Now I understand also why Vasseur jumped into it...He never entered these kind of controversies in the past.