2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Gun
Big Gun

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 03:20
KimiRai wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 00:55
Lap is garbage in general.

It could be that there was a setup change before Sprint qualy as @SSJ4 says. Maybe Aston lowered downforce but that made the car uneasy to drive? However I think they should have gone through to SQ3 regardless.

I can see at least 4 mistakes around the SQ2 lap. Turn 1, Turn 13, Turn 15 and Turn 19. Ill use Magnussens lap as comparison. First turn 1

https://i.imgur.com/5aFkNU2.png

Even after missing the apex and losing what looks like a tenth and a half from that, the rest of sector 1 and 2 is decent and arrives at the end of sector 2 completely equal to Mag. But here comes the Turn 13 & Turn 15 mistakes

https://i.imgur.com/dKDFGSw.png

Which makes him lose two tenths and a half compared to Mag. Lost the rear in 13 and missed the apex in 15. Finally he went long in the penultimate turn and lifted trying to avoid track limits although it got cancelled anyway, and the last one didn't seem to be good either. Another two tenths lost which puts him 4.5 tenths behind Mag.

https://i.imgur.com/VZi6N3h.png

It could be that the car might have been more difficult to drive after the setup change, but in any case to me it seems that both Alo & Stroll were poor and a better driver could've put the Aston in SQ3. Imo with a clean lap before sector 3 it could have been a tenth quicker than Mag and finish the lap a tenth behind or so overall, but not 4.5 tenths. Alonso continues to show signs of aging in my view but Stroll is hiding them somewhat.
Yeah Maybe Piastri would be better, oh wait he was out in Q1 in a good car.
Yeah Alonso is clearly washed despite still being easily a top 6 driver...... ok

-wkst-
-wkst-

Big Gun wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 05:04
KimiRai wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 03:20
KimiRai wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 00:55
Lap is garbage in general.

It could be that there was a setup change before Sprint qualy as @SSJ4 says. Maybe Aston lowered downforce but that made the car uneasy to drive? However I think they should have gone through to SQ3 regardless.

I can see at least 4 mistakes around the SQ2 lap. Turn 1, Turn 13, Turn 15 and Turn 19. Ill use Magnussens lap as comparison. First turn 1

https://i.imgur.com/5aFkNU2.png

Even after missing the apex and losing what looks like a tenth and a half from that, the rest of sector 1 and 2 is decent and arrives at the end of sector 2 completely equal to Mag. But here comes the Turn 13 & Turn 15 mistakes

https://i.imgur.com/dKDFGSw.png

Which makes him lose two tenths and a half compared to Mag. Lost the rear in 13 and missed the apex in 15. Finally he went long in the penultimate turn and lifted trying to avoid track limits although it got cancelled anyway, and the last one didn't seem to be good either. Another two tenths lost which puts him 4.5 tenths behind Mag.

https://i.imgur.com/VZi6N3h.png

It could be that the car might have been more difficult to drive after the setup change, but in any case to me it seems that both Alo & Stroll were poor and a better driver could've put the Aston in SQ3. Imo with a clean lap before sector 3 it could have been a tenth quicker than Mag and finish the lap a tenth behind or so overall, but not 4.5 tenths. Alonso continues to show signs of aging in my view but Stroll is hiding them somewhat.
Yeah Maybe Piastri would be better, oh wait he was out in Q1 in a good car.
Yeah Alonso is clearly washed despite still being easily a top 6 driver...... ok
ALO was garbage yesterday, as was STR. No need to point fingers at others, as they are uninteresting for AMR.

The car has more pace.

ALO looked lost at the Austrian sprint sessions too, before changing set ups for Q and returning to a decent performance.

PinkFloydPulse

C'mon guys... they just need more time to understand the package... :) For the millionth time allready! :D :D :D :D Let's hope they progress for sunday somehow...
Team Fernando!

FNTC
FNTC

If you call it "mistakes" when both drivers struggle with a terrible handling car, then you are extremely biased...

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

FNTC wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 13:09
If you call it "mistakes" when both drivers struggle with a terrible handling car, then you are extremely biased...
Why does it hurt to admit our favourite driver wasn't at his best? He cut 2 laps out of 3.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AMuS
Aston Martin had it even worse. Despite a new front wing, underbody and engine cover, Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll got stuck in the SQ2. According to the engineers, the new parts work. They just couldn't find the right setup.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -mercedes/
Last edited by KimiRai on 19 Oct 2024, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Ex aero engineer saying the airflow
From new front wing isn’t good

-wkst-
-wkst-

SSJ4 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 13:58

Ex aero engineer saying the airflow
From new front wing isn’t good
And others say this part of the wing is simply not interesting for flow viz.

I even believe the team that the parts work, but the question is: are they able to find a setup were the car isn’t that much on the edge all the time, or not…

Even the almighty McLaren update machine wasn’t able to find the right set up this time with the new parts…

Let’s see how Q will be after the changes they will make.

@ALO
His biggest strength was always that he could drive also the most undriveable cars, see F14T, with very little mistakes. Or be at the top of his game straight out of the box. In my opinion that’s what he lost a bit, needing more time in the car before performing at his best level.

Nikosar
Nikosar

Only fp1 done and a couple of few laps on the sprint qualy. I do not know what numbers they saw to claim that the new front wing isn’t good….

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 14:27
@ALO
His biggest strength was always that he could drive also the most undriveable cars, see F14T, with very little mistakes. Or be at the top of his game straight out of the box. In my opinion that’s what he lost a bit, needing more time in the car before performing at his best level.
On the upgrades I guess we'll find out eventually, there are mixed messages right now. Before the session they made a setup change and it showed in the top speed, possibly it was for the worse, maybe with a bit more time we'll know for sure.

But on Alonso I have to agree with you. Time and time again we saw over the years that he was very good at squeezing the most out of cars with balance issues, making few mistakes, the destroyer of teammates and everything else... but this year by his (admittedly very high) standards he is poor and it is undeniable. And let's remember that the comparison is Stroll, one of the worst drivers on the grid. It's not like Stroll has suddenly become Senna. While he is doing better than Vettel, he has clearly lost something.
Last edited by KimiRai on 19 Oct 2024, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

Accordingly F1 Data Performance this is the comparative telemetry between Alonso's when he tested old and new front wing. We can see some progress on mid and high speed corners. The green line is the new front wing. I personally think in the first sector the difference is probably Alonso's mistakes when he started the sequence of the corners and compromised the sequence.

https://x.com/DPerformanceF1/status/184 ... 22/photo/1

TyreSlip
TyreSlip

SchuMassa wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 13:22
FNTC wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 13:09
Why does it hurt to admit our favourite driver wasn't at his best? He cut 2 laps out of 3.
There's a difference between saying Alonso wasn't at his best to a "better driver" could have qualified ahead of Magnussen. That's not being objective at all.

The car has been unpredictable all season. Every time it is updated, there are new surprises with its handling that is usually negative. And with one practice session with the new parts, it's no longer shocking to me that the car was suddenly slower in SQ2.

TLof
TLof

An insignificant sprint qualifying and we're back (or rather, the usual suspects) to the Alonso is too old narrative. The reality: Hamilton, Norris, Piastri and probably most of the field couldn't put in a clean lap. Hilarious this thread

TyreSlip
TyreSlip

-wkst- wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 14:27
@ALO
As poor as the F14T was, the car was predictable when it would understeer and oversteer in corners. Alonso could adapt his driving style around that and maximize the lap time. This year's car is a different kettle of fish. It does not behave the same way from lap to lap, and Alonso has mentioned that a number of times.

TyreSlip
TyreSlip

TLof wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 15:34
An insignificant sprint qualifying and we're back (or rather, the usual suspects) to the Alonso is too old narrative. The reality: Hamilton, Norris, Piastri and probably most of the field couldn't put in a clean lap. Hilarious this thread
It's like if they repeat themselves enough that Alonso is too old or lost something then it becomes a fact.