2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:33
Merc say they know whats causing their lack of pace, lets see if they can fix it before quali
You have more faith than I do. Merc really don't know what's going on with the car. Lewis starts 7th...and George starts 2nd but somehow they end up together at the end. They're like the Haas of the top 4 teams. Flatter to deceive.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

At SOME point George needs to start setting the car up for the race because going backwards every single time isnt a good look.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

GrizzleBoy wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:40
At SOME point George needs to start setting the car up for the race because going backwards every single time isnt a good look.
It's not him. It's this useless car they've created. It doesn't lean toward any setup. One driver sets up foe the race, the other for quali. But they manage to converge during the race. This car has no strengths...its vanilla.

j_ste
j_ste

GrizzleBoy wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:40
It’s not George’s fault.

He quallies well and the car isn’t good enough to stay there. Where he was overtaken by the Ferraris, that’s down to car performance. That isn’t him making errors.
No grip, no traction and no pace as a result.
Last edited by j_ste on 19 Oct 2024, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

RacePaceDemon

Setup changes needed. But tyre chewing is an inherent characteristic of this car so I question how much they can actually do. Dialling in understeer to protect the rears more?
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

Lasssept

Last edited by Lasssept on 19 Oct 2024, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

SKYnRacing24

So we have updates/uprades on the car and this car finishes 20 secs behind max in a 19 lap race. lol thats brutal imo
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Luscion
Luscion

Yea, have to agree, the car just sucked, Lewis started complaining about his rears going and having no pace around 2 laps earlier than Russell, then Russell's tires just fell of a cliff (no fault of his own). Merc said they knew what was causing it and that it was the rears overheating. Im surprised they havent solved this issue that has plagued them since the start of the season especially with Allison leading now, the W13 and 14 struggled with rear end but at least they were kind on their tires

Vanja #66

Is Toto finally handing in his resignation any time soon?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Luscion
Luscion

SKYnRacing24

Luscion wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:53
Yea, have to agree, the car just sucked, Lewis started complaining about his rears going and having no pace around 2 laps earlier than Russell, then Russell's tires just fell of a cliff (no fault of his own). Merc said they knew what was causing it and that it was the rears overheating. Im surprised they havent solved this issue that has plagued them since the start of the season especially with Allison leading now, the W13 and 14 struggled with rear end but at least they were kind on their tires
This is the bit that generally perplexes me. When i look at this car. It really has no apparent race pace over its rivals like its predecessors had even if they were inherently worse cars (Lewis saying the rear end on the W14 was spiteful) wether its the tyres themselves and how the suspension works them. The W15 can't work in warm conditions that well and its been a trait all year. The fact they STILL don't know how to resolve this problem will bleed into the W16 car imo. This race gave me trauma of the 2011- 2013 era where those cars would munch those pirellis for breakfast lunch and dinner. Its pretty concerning actually.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

dialtone
dialtone

They obviously know what’s going on with the car. When it’s cold or on a single lap they perform. It’s not perplexing or a surprise. Fixing it is a different deal and took Ferrari 1 year after they understood.

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:23
They obviously know what’s going on with the car. When it’s cold or on a single lap they perform. It’s not perplexing or a surprise. Fixing it is a different deal and took Ferrari 1 year after they understood.
Tbh, nothing gives me an impression they know what's wrong with the car. They are very good in Q and they suffer in normal or hot races by default, but even when we take that into account - losing 16s to the winner in a 100km Sprint after bringing their biggest upgrade package of the year is just painfully bad. They had 3 different front wing philosophies this year (3rd one was brought here) and countless floor designs.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

continuum16

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:32
dialtone wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:23
Tbh, nothing gives me an impression they know what's wrong with the car. They are very good in Q and they suffer in normal or hot races by default, but even when we take that into account - losing 16s to the winner in a 100km Sprint after bringing their biggest upgrade package of the year is just painfully bad. They had 3 different front wing philosophies this year (3rd one was brought here) and countless floor designs.
I agree they don’t seem to know what’s going on. If they can’t solve the deg issues I believe tomorrow is even hotter than today’s forecast so it would be worse. Honestly if they can’t sort it out they will be looking behind at Haas rather than ahead. Magnussen didn’t even have the updates on the Haas and was 6-7s off Lewis while George was 8-9s off of Ferrari. Hulk would have been a lot closer if he had a good start. Maybe even ahead.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Luscion
Luscion

Merc have made changes to both Lewis' and George's cars (more changes on Lewis' end) lets see if it ends up making it worse :lol: