2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

The car looks a lot better than in Sprint. The car has a clear top speed deficit to Ferrari but is comparable to Red Bull. Otherwise it looks pretty capable. Whichever of Lando or Max ended up in front wouldn't change the fact that the cars are evenly matched here in Q and neither can have any confidence of shrugging off the other.

Max and Lando will fight hard in the race and ultimately the drivers can make the difference again. Hopefully strategy will help us and not hinder. Ferrari, if the general trend remains true, will be strong in the race with low deg and to me at least are slight favourites for the win.

Very important to keep Max behind and make him the buffer to Ferrari and use the clean air to help tyre management.

The car is definately stiff and it causes it to suffer a little bit in the snake, but benefit us in the single rotation sections. With both corners preceding the straights being favourible to Mclaren, it means that passing us won't be easy with our better exits. Mid corners also look very strong. The car does look set up to attack the straights, if not with outright speed due to the downforce we are carrying, being 2-3 kph slower vs Ferrari.

Every reason to be optimistic, looks like a good setup that should protect the lead and the tyres if the snake section doesn't take too much out of them.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

proteus

mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 15:48
The car looks a lot better than in Sprint. The car has a clear top speed deficit to Ferrari but is comparable to Red Bull. Otherwise it looks pretty capable. Whichever of Lando or Max ended up in front wouldn't change the fact that the cars are evenly matched here in Q and neither can have any confidence of shrugging off the other.

Max and Lando will fight hard in the race and ultimately the drivers can make the difference again. Hopefully strategy will help us and not hinder. Ferrari, if the general trend remains true, will be strong in the race with low deg and to me at least are slight favourites for the win.

Very important to keep Max behind and make him the buffer to Ferrari and use the clean air to help tyre management.

The car is definately stiff and it causes it to suffer a little bit in the snake, but benefit us in the single rotation sections. With both corners preceding the straights being favourible to Mclaren, it means that passing us won't be easy with our better exits. Mid corners also look very strong. The car does look set up to attack the straights, if not with outright speed due to the downforce we are carrying.

Every reason to be optimistic, looks like a good setup that should protect the lead and the tyres if the snake section doesn't take too much out of them.
Im afraid Max will walk past. The latest at lap 3 when DRS opens. Ferraris also look like they will get past... Hopefully Perez stays in no mans land and Lando and Piastri take P4 and P5. Damage limitation at best. Would be good if Ferrari duo take Max and demote him to third.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ben1980
Ben1980

The hope is, Lando clings on at the start, though I gathers that's hard in Austin. And the Ferrari and Max squabble and damage tyres. All being on New mediums will likely level up most of the deg for longer than yesterday.

But, basically not a fricking clue. Anything could happen.

mwillems

proteus wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 16:07

Im afraid Max will walk past. The latest at lap 3 when DRS opens. Ferraris also look like they will get past... Hopefully Perez stays in no mans land and Lando and Piastri take P4 and P5. Damage limitation at best. Would be good if Ferrari duo take Max and demote him to third.
Don't be afraid, proteus ! 😆

It is definately a tight fight. As I said earlier, Ferrari are my slight favourites. But I certainly think we have the means to put up a fight, in fact I have some optimism. Anywhere from 1st to 4th is a reasonable I think with a strong emphasis on what the driver can deliver.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

It’s not just Mclaren who have had to change their rear wing design

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10664990/

‘It is not confirmed which other teams had to make changes as a response to the FIA guidance, but sources suggest that all of 2024's race-winning outfits have been under the spotlight for potentially pushing the limit of the rules with regard to rear wing flexing.’
Just a fan's point of view

Joel709
Joel709

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:45
Joel709 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:44
You mean most the claims that have never been proven? Don’t throw stones in glass houses after your wings have had to be changed
You mean the totally legal wings by both the FIA and the team?
FIA technical director Tombazis confirms that if McLaren had not made the rear wing changes they would have been reported for a rules breach

"Yes, we would have, because we specifically gave a warning to them."

Ben1980
Ben1980

Joel709 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 20:15
Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:45
Joel709 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:44
You mean most the claims that have never been proven? Don’t throw stones in glass houses after your wings have had to be changed
You mean the totally legal wings by both the FIA and the team?
FIA technical director Tombazis confirms that if McLaren had not made the rear wing changes they would have been reported for a rules breach

"Yes, we would have, because we specifically gave a warning to them."
That just confirms it, they were legal until they weren't. And at no point did they run them when illegal or outlawed.

Darth-Piekus

Can we please stop with that BS crap. The rear wing passed all tests therefore it was legal. The assymetrical break and the bib ride height were illegal from the get go. Its getting tiring at this point. The last team who should be talking about illegalities is Red Bull. Their whole existence is a controversy.

In half an hour there's gonna be a race where Lando will have to defend his pole position and personally I've put those matters behind. Do we know if the team managed to find something more on the race settings?

Whatever happens good luck to both drivers and may Mclaren gives their 100 percent and even more. Let's go get them team.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Let's get this!

Emag
Emag

Poorly executed T1 by Lando. Should have never allowed that lunge by Max.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Not a surprise. Not sure he bottled it, some will say.

Darth-Piekus

--- hell. I think its pretty much over this GP.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 20 Oct 2024, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

I love Lando, but he is not the sharpest pencil from what it seems, didn't he see just yesterday what hugging the inside provides? He had such a great start, why leave an inch of chance on the inside?
He always seems to think everyone will be super logical and cautious like him into turn one. Unbelievable.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Tipical Verstappen. Creepy idi*t

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Lando stood little chance unless he went very very tight to the inside. Max just didn't allow lando to turn in