2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:39
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:31
Has anyone got a anthony Davison interview?
As if it matters what Anthony breaks down and what he says. With rules how they are stated right now, it was a deserved penalty for Lando, they can't even protest that. Lando just shouldn't have gone past off-track, otherwise it would have been a penalty for Max.

Some amazing rule though, where the driver being attacked can just divebomb into the inside, going off-track himself, but blocking the overtake in the process.
A very popular move amongst children and ragers in the F1 game lobbies, but apparently a totally viable defense strategy at the pinnacle of motorsport as well :)
i think the penalty would have been fair if Max stayed inside the track limits white lines as that would have really meant Lando overtook outside the track, but in reality that wasn't the case here hence it should have left as an racing incident as Max himself was technically outside track limits line and the rule for overtaking outside the track would not have applied if stewards followed the actual wording.

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:33
CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:29
Marc.W wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:10
Well if it's any consolation, Ferrari are pretty much guaranteed to take P2 in the WCC away from Red Bull, thankfully I didn't get too invested in the WDC challenge so I'm not disappointed Lando didn't clost the gap, I'm disappointed at the FIA and how Max continues to race "wheel to wheel"
Ferrari are a very real threat to McLaren as well
They have been a threat fir a while, since they upgraded. Won Monza, fighting in Baku, shoukd have been fighting in Singapore but messed up in qualifying.
Yep, hence why they are only 48? points behind.
I wasn’t concerned about them so much when McLaren were fighting them/ sealing wins off them but this weekend McLaren couldn’t match them as much… Oscar was particularly concerning (not that I’m hating on him) but he was never going to be better than P5 all weekend, I know he didn’t have the new wing but P5s aren’t going to win the WCC if Ferrari are scoring double podiums all the way to Abu Dhabi now.

Houldey needs to get those upgrades trackside as soon as now
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:43
_cerber1 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:40
Oscar had a free pit stop? Why didn't we use it for the fastest lap?
Because he was getting closer to Max and could have helped out for the 5 seconds.

Problem was, Oscar was underwhelming. His performance on hards was dissapointing.
Oscar performance was just average this weekend, he continues the hit & miss performance which can cost us a lot, but same goes for the drivers of the other teams, its just a crazy 2nd half of the season.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
As if it matters what Anthony breaks down and what he says. With rules how they are stated right now, it was a deserved penalty for Lando, they can't even protest that. Lando just shouldn't have gone past off-track, otherwise it would have been a penalty for Max.

Some amazing rule though, where the driver being attacked can just divebomb into the inside, going off-track himself, but blocking the overtake in the process.
A very popular move amongst children and ragers in the F1 game lobbies, but apparently a totally viable defense strategy at the pinnacle of motorsport as well :)
Would Verstappen get a penalty though if Lando re-joined behind him?
My understanding from Davidson was Verstappen would have just used up one of his three track limit violations?

lh13
lh13

cliffgamerz wrote:
Emag wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

i think the penalty would have been fair if Max stayed inside the track limits white lines as that would have really meant Lando overtook outside the track, but in reality that wasn't the case here hence it should have left as an racing incident as Max himself was technically outside track limits line and the rule for overtaking outside the track would not have applied if stewards followed the actual wording.
Overtaking off the track is legal if the defending driver is over the white line? Genuine question.

Sent from my 21061119AG using Tapatalk

Slahinki
Slahinki

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:24
I didn't read the full race discussion, but if the judges were consistent, Max should have been given a 5 second penalty for overtaking on the first lap of the first corner. He went off track with four wheels and squeezed Lando, but he didn't give up his position. Later in the race, Max went off track when a Ferrari was nearby, and there Max gained an advantage and stayed ahead of the Ferrari. I think for these two points alone, a 10 second penalty should be given to Max.

The main problems with current F1 are the inconsistency of the judges' decisions and the lack of balls to ban Max's brazen antics, which he constantly gets away with. This is not racing, it's a farce.

Mentally, Lando has already beaten Max twice. Mentally, Max doesn't know how to lose. I'm sure karma will come back in full for both Max and Red Bull.

You don't have to comment on my message, I'm not going to enter into further polemics. I see whose side is right, and it's not on the side of the soda team.
Entirely agreed.

search

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:43
_cerber1 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:40
Oscar had a free pit stop? Why didn't we use it for the fastest lap?
Because he was getting closer to Max and could have helped out for the 5 seconds.

Problem was, Oscar was underwhelming. His performance on hards was dissapointing.
I guess they also wanted to get FL with Norris, who was a couple of tenths off only in the end.

Although, in the case he got it, Piastri could have slowed down, of course.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:45
Ben1980 wrote:
CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:29

Ferrari are a very real threat to McLaren as well
They have been a threat fir a while, since they upgraded. Won Monza, fighting in Baku, shoukd have been fighting in Singapore but messed up in qualifying.
I wasn’t concerned about them so much when McLaren were fighting them/ sealing wins off them but this weekend McLaren couldn’t match them as much… Oscar was particularly concerning (not that I’m hating on him) but he was never going to be better than P5 all weekend, I know he didn’t have the new wing but P5s aren’t going to win the WCC if Ferrari are scoring double podiums all the way to Abu Dhabi now.

Our upgrades will arrive and I doubt we'll need to worry too much about Ferrari.

Oscar was off the pace today, not a great drive. Lando was able to show that the car had the pace to be second fastest and to possibly have caught up with Sainz, if not Leclerc, if there wasn't a pesky Dutchman in the way.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:14
It was his corner, it wasn't even close, he was half a car length ahead at the apex and owned the line.

Max is just brilliant, that's all that happened today. The better driver won.
But he was "half a car length ahead" because he let his brakes off. Anyone can be ahead at the apex if they don't need to make the corner. Imagine if Norris divebombs from far and doesn't brake well enough and forces both of them to go wide. Would that be Lando's corner and Verstappen needs to yield? Surely not.

Max is able to utilize this method when defending. He senses that the other driver is close to taking the corner first, instead of braking and giving the other driver space on the outside as it would be required, Max brakes less so that he gets to the apex first and then forces the other driver off. It doesn't really matter if Max makes the corner or not (at least so far) because a) he is first at the apex because he braked less b) other driver goes off as well.

bauc

mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:56
CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:45
Ben1980 wrote:

Our upgrades will arrive and I doubt we'll need to worry too much about Ferrari.

Oscar was off the pace today, not a great drive. Lando was able to show that the car had the pace to be second fastest and to possibly have caught up with Sainz, if not Leclerc, if there wasn't a pesky Dutchman in the way.
Next race is classic race with 3 practice sessions, I believe they must bring the updates there os they have plenty of time to evaluate them, this weekend we messed up the setup on FP1 and that was it.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:56
mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:14
It was his corner, it wasn't even close, he was half a car length ahead at the apex and owned the line.

Max is just brilliant, that's all that happened today. The better driver won.
But he was "half a car length ahead" because he let his brakes off. Anyone can be ahead at the apex if they don't need to make the corner. Imagine if Norris divebombs from far and doesn't brake well enough and forces both of them to go wide. Would that be Lando's corner and Verstappen needs to yield? Surely not.

Max is able to utilize this method when defending. He senses that the other driver is close to taking the corner first, instead of braking and giving the other driver space on the outside as it would be required, Max brakes less so that he gets to the apex first and then forces the other driver off. It doesn't really matter if Max makes the corner or not (at least so far) because a) he is first at the apex because he braked less b) other driver goes off as well.
Yep, poor rules, they allow you to go off when you are fighting and not get a track limits.

Totally agree with the fact the rules have the change (Although there would still be grey areas), but as they stand, the job of the driver is to use those rules to their advantage and Max does that better time and again, whilst sometimes going over the limit. Norris doesn't seem to drive in that same way. But you can drive on the edge and be in the rules, something Hamilton would do.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Oct 2024, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:19
No fs given by Toto.

Max will get the WDC but, with the fast Ferrari and hopefully fast Mclaren it will be a limp to a title.
What did Toto say?

CjC
CjC

Least it’s only a week till the next race to find out.
I’ll be interested to see if McLaren bring any upgrades to Mexico

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

lh13 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:48
cliffgamerz wrote:
Emag wrote:

Overtaking off the track is legal if the defending driver is over the white line? Genuine question.

Sent from my 21061119AG using Tapatalk
Depends on who is the defending driver in this case, if you consider Lando as the defending driver in this incident (but he wasn't as he was attacking and Max was defending since he reached apex first and ahead of Lando) yes as Max himself couldn't keep his car inside white lines so both were outside track limits hence it's fair as Lando was pushed off from track, as i said earlier if Max kept his car on the line it would have been a fair penalty for Lando.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:00
Yep, poor rules, they allow you to go off when you are fighting and not get a track limits.

Totally agree with the fact the rules have the change (Although there would still be grey areas), but as they stand, the job of the driver is to use those rules to their advantage and Max does that better time and again, whilst sometimes going over the limit.
This is why I think it will lead to accidents. Norris will surely next time just dive to the inside and invite the crash. That is what he should have been doing.

Other option is to know that you have to overtake on the outside, instead of doing the switchback just overtake off the track and get 5 seconds. Immediately come onto the radio and complain that you were forced off. This is probably much less riskier than diving to the inside. If Lando did that on one of the earlier laps, he would have got a penalty but make the gap. This is what Verstappen does sometimes.