2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sergej
Sergej

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I am not sure they will get to the end without another engine penalty, but surely if that's the case it will be in Brazil.

Vettel165

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:28
Max will be wise to go damage limitation mode in Mexico, car was never good over kerbs this year and it's down to front suspension mostly. If, somehow, he manages to find some pace and attack for podium, it will be a huge thing no matter where Norris ends up. I don't think any other race will be problematic in that regard, tiny chance of issues in AD only
Agree. But it was good to see Red Bull being so strong back in Austin if we looked at S1. Which is mostly medium-high speed corners which you had to attack to gain time over the kerbs. And I was watching the onboard, Max was the best there beside Hamilton. Will see in Mexico how will the balance be in the low-speed. Singapore wasnt that bad.

Bill
Bill

max will be unmatched in mexico as always. the Honda pu has 0.4 tenth on competitors at high altitude so max will win and put lando championship dreams to bed.

Vettel165

I found his sprint pole lap back on friday.

https://x.com/433_marc/status/184742938 ... SV6Dg&s=19

Wouter

Bill wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:40
max will be unmatched in mexico as always. the Honda pu has 0.4 tenth on competitors at high altitude so max will win and put lando championship dreams to bed.
The Turbo advantage was years ago. That's long over now. So the Honda PU is a few years the same as others.
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vettel165 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
Max will be wise to go damage limitation mode in Mexico, car was never good over kerbs this year and it's down to front suspension mostly. If, somehow, he manages to find some pace and attack for podium, it will be a huge thing no matter where Norris ends up. I don't think any other race will be problematic in that regard, tiny chance of issues in AD only
Agree. But it was good to see Red Bull being so strong back in Austin if we looked at S1. Which is mostly medium-high speed corners which you had to attack to gain time over the kerbs. And I was watching the onboard, Max was the best there beside Hamilton. Will see in Mexico how will the balance be in the low-speed. Singapore wasnt that bad.
The curbs in S1 Austin are more like suggestive rumble strips. There's also a lot of aero load so the impact is muted.

The curbs in Mexico are taller. They have a raised profile and pronounced "backside" which you can dip the wheels and lose stability if you cross over. Even in 2022 and 2023, you could see that the Red Bull suffered with the curbs in Mexico. The Red bull is traditionally front limited and Max's front left tire always "died" in the first stint.

It's going to be another tough 1 stop race if they do not limit the tire degradation. The races where Red Bull have the most potential are the 2 stoppers. Stopping twice limits the amount of laps spent at a tire deficit to the others.
A lion must kill its prey.

Vettel165

Max also won in 2017 and 2018 here with the third best car and Ferrari/Mercedes engine was better back in the days. Brasil/Mexico could minimize engine advantage one team has.

Last edited by Vettel165 on 21 Oct 2024, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

venkyhere
venkyhere

As the laps tick by :
a) the car is expected to gain performance from loss of fuel mass
b) the car is expected to lose performance as reducing fuel mass means the ride height increases and downforce reduces
c) the car is expected to lose performance from tyre degradation/graining-phase etc

How each team reacts to a,b,c shows myriad sensitivity differences across the top4 teams. Over the season so far, holistically across the 19 races (not just the case after the most recent updates), the notion that I have formed about the top4 teams :

McLaren - a is high, b is minimal, c is moderate initially, then minimal after the graining phase
Ferrari - a,b,c are all low whatever be the track. Even when they had floor issues, a,b,c behaved the same way.
Redbull - a is low, b is high and hence c is high.
Mercedes - an enigma, I have not been able to decipher anything, other than the fact that when track is cold, the car comes alive.

This is an overall observation, across tracks, across wing levels, across ride height setups.

PLease feel free to poke holes in this theory :mrgreen:

basti313
basti313

Vanja #66 wrote:
Max will be wise to go damage limitation mode in Mexico, car was never good over kerbs this year and it's down to front suspension mostly.
I would still expect understeering issues...I do not think the kerbs were the biggest issue, it was unpredictive understeer. It just came together in a way that 90° corners were mostly accompanied by kerbs, so it was not easy to distinguish.
Vanja #66 wrote:
If, somehow, he manages to find some pace and attack for podium, it will be a huge thing no matter where Norris ends up. I don't think any other race will be problematic in that regard, tiny chance of issues in AD only
Podium is far away in Mexico I fear, not for the rest.... the funny thing is that even if Lando is at 100%, the best that can happen is one of the Ferrari or Piastri screwing up. It now needs Verstappen to be P4 for the rest not counting sprint and FL? Am I calculating correct?
So if there is not a clean race with Ferrari and McLaren clinching P1 to P4, the chance is very low...especially given, that Lando is more 70% than 100%...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Bill
Bill

Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:46
Bill wrote:
The Turbo advantage was years ago. That's long over now. So the Honda PU is a few years the same as others.
that advantage is still their mercedes never solved their high-altitude problem .max blitz's the field in Austria in quali for example. the honda marginally have best ers and that will be amplified these weekend.max has never really been beaten at these track. the only time is when he was penalized for not obeying yellow flags due to bottas.

Vettel165

Bill wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:31
Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:46
Bill wrote:
that advantage is still their mercedes never solved their high-altitude problem .max blitz's the field in Austria in quali for example. the honda marginally have best ers and that will be amplified these weekend.max has never really been beaten at these track. the only time is when he was penalized for not obeying yellow flags due to bottas.
Really like your positivity, hope you are right.

chrisc90

Vettel165 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:19
If Max ends ahead of Lando in the next 3 races he is WDC again with 2 races to go. All can happen of course, Red Bull should take 1 race at the time. Just focus on being ahead of Lando, which is easier said than done.

In Mexico Max is usually very strong if he has the car, Brasil if the rain comes we need his magic as in Spa this year.All to play, 5 races to go/57 points lead.
5 races and lando needs 58 points (given lando needs to be ahead). 11.6points average per race. 2 more sprint races.
I imagine the WDC will be decided in Qatar tbh.

Lando effectively needs to win each race, and Max can finish 4th.

Mega points difference to overhaul

continuum16

continuum16 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 05:50
Watto wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 03:14
organic wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 02:45
Put Lawson or Tsunoda in Perez's seat asap

Honda will try to leverage Tsunoda in for 2025

And on the topic of the WCC position.. it's extremely rare for WDC to be won by a car finishing less than 1st in wcc, let alone 3rd. Anyone know the last time it was done?
Looks like 2008

Lewis Hamilton WDC

Ferrari WCC

I mentioned some pages back I wonder if now RBR are willing to forgo the WCC now that they had a bad car development path. Feels a little like maybe the rules have kinda worked as intended.
Not that long ago; 2021 actually.

As far as last time WDC drove a car 3rd or worse in WCC?

Piquet 1982 I think with Brabham P3 behind Ferrari and Renault. So extremely uncommon.
I would like to apologize for the typo I made; it was supposed to say 1983 not 1982.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

dialtone
dialtone

venkyhere wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:14
As the laps tick by :
a) the car is expected to gain performance from loss of fuel mass
b) the car is expected to lose performance as reducing fuel mass means the ride height increases and downforce reduces
c) the car is expected to lose performance from tyre degradation/graining-phase etc
That's not how it works.
(a) correct
(b) not correct, in fact the opposite
(c) correct

Fuel mass is only 100kg tops out of 800kg from the mass of the car plus all the downforce which is at least comparable to the weight of the car at high speed.

Over and over you see cars going faster through corners with less fuel onboard, they slide less due to less centrifugal force/inertia (Q=mv and m is decreasing) and, and since they go faster they generate more downforce through the corner which results in them being also lower on the ground.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Verstappen since 2018 is better than any driver ever. People without rose tinted <Insert Driver Name> pilled glasses will see and acknowledge that. If you are gonna win with a dominant car, you do it like he did last year. Intensity reaching 2021 levels because of the same reason back then -- people simply coping so hard and refusing to acknowledge that there can be a better driver than <Insert Driver Name>.

What a season, what a driver. Whether he wins or not, he has stayed alive so far so well.