Bib parc fermé ride height trick

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: Bib parc fermé ride height trick

motobaleno wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:42
Rikhart wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:19
motobaleno wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:11
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10664487/

According to this the device weighs 2kg!! this is a ominous quantity in F1! I was shocked when I read it and I wait for more robust confim before writing anything else because if it is right this is no more a question that can be easily dismissed.
Do you understand that they need ways to setup the car? Is this so weird to you? They need nuts, bolts, connections, levers, threads, all that weighs something.
Do you understand that, in this specific case, they have 2 different ways to do the same setup action? do you know any other example where in F1 car you spend 2 kg to add an alternative setup setting option just for "convenience".
You nothingburgers guys are climbing on mirrors...if the 2kg is an error...and it becomes 200g... ok I could agree with you. Otherwise there is some serious problem. Now I understand also why Vasseur jumped into it...He never entered these kind of controversies in the past.
Two ways? What two ways? I think it's the only way to move that piece of the floor up and down, why would they need 2 ways. Seems to me you just fell for some made up theory that someone made up, for clicks.

marcel171281
marcel171281

motobaleno wrote:
Rikhart wrote:
motobaleno wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:11
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10664487/

According to this the device weighs 2kg!! this is a ominous quantity in F1! I was shocked when I read it and I wait for more robust confim before writing anything else because if it is right this is no more a question that can be easily dismissed.

Do you understand that they need ways to setup the car? Is this so weird to you? They need nuts, bolts, connections, levers, threads, all that weighs something.
Do you understand that, in this specific case, they have 2 different ways to do the same setup action? do you know any other example where in F1 car you spend 2 kg to add an alternative setup setting option just for "convenience".
You nothingburgers guys are climbing on mirrors...if the 2kg is an error...and it becomes 200g... ok I could agree with you. Otherwise there is some serious problem. Now I understand also why Vasseur jumped into it...He never entered these kind of controversies in the past.
Do you understand that an F1 car has a minimum weight, so this doesn't necessarily add weight?

BTW, you really think this reporter had this part in his hands and on some scales? It is pure guess work.

Cassius
Cassius

Is the anti RB brigade still discussing this? Based on all the videos and evidence we have seen it is a clear case of retaliation from McLaren.

Do you really think RB is that stupid to change "pedals" in front of FIA cameras after every qualy?

DDopey
DDopey

I think the approach of Zac has worked and a lot of people, including of course the F1 British dominated media have fallen for it. Almost nobody talks about the wing adjustments McLaren has made and their sudden lack in performance. So job well done Zac.

Alexf1
Alexf1

If a team boss says: "look to the left", he means he doesn't want you to look right

motobaleno

DDopey wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 10:40
I think the approach of Zac has worked and a lot of people, including of course the F1 British dominated media have fallen for it. Almost nobody talks about the wing adjustments McLaren has made and their sudden lack in performance. So job well done Zac.
mclaren wing out,
RB byb out
Ferrari 1-2
of course chance

motobaleno

Rikhart wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:48
motobaleno wrote:
Rikhart wrote:

Two ways? What two ways? I think it's the only way to move that piece of the floor up and down, why would they need 2 ways. Seems to me you just fell for some made up theory that someone made up, for clicks.
nope this has been stated without doubts: RB has implemented the standard adjustment method from below as all other teams plus the one from above. They definetely have two different method to do the same setting adjustment.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Mosin123 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 19:49
napoleon1981 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:30
Weight is right where you want it to be, forward low to the ground. As long as you stay under the weight limit, it's a fine option.
But yet they spend millions upon millions looking to save the microgram because they want the car to be as light as possible.
Correct, so they can put the weight they save back in the car to meet the legal limit. They add the weight back at the places they want it to be, probably around the bib area.

dialtone
dialtone

motobaleno wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 22:41
DDopey wrote:
mclaren wing out,
RB byb out
Ferrari 1-2
of course chance
I was jokingly pointing out the same on discord. Not only that, RBR performed great in all quali sessions but couldn't pull away as they normally did in the race. Legitimately they were within 0.1-0.2 in quali all of last season and then suddenly 1s/lap faster in the race.

stewie325
stewie325

dialtone wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 05:53
motobaleno wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 22:41
DDopey wrote:
mclaren wing out,
RB byb out
Ferrari 1-2
of course chance
I was jokingly pointing out the same on discord. Not only that, RBR performed great in all quali sessions but couldn't pull away as they normally did in the race. Legitimately they were within 0.1-0.2 in quali all of last season and then suddenly 1s/lap faster in the race.
That was because Red Bull intentionally set up their car for race day - sacrificing qualy pace for much better tire deg.

That's also why Leclerc got quite a few poles in the last few years, and has a terrible converstion statistic.

Andi76
Andi76

I think one should neither exaggerate the issue (as the anti-Red Bull faction does), nor understate it (as the RB faction does). Ultimately, it is a fact that adjusting the height of the bib brings an advantage. Whether the system was used illegally has not been proven, so no accusations should be made, even if it is rather unlikely that the system is actually only accessible by removing the pedals...

Andi76
Andi76

Cassius wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 08:50
Andi76 wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 08:29
Red Bull fits like a glove. The concept with the extremely high roll stiffness and in general the whole underbody concept with the high tunnel roof, the lack of porpoising, the mystery of how Red Bull can drive so low and the sudden big jumps in qualifying on Saturday, where you wondered how it could be that they were so far away on one day and then suddenly found themselves at the front again in qualifying and, according to Dr. Marko, suddenly found a lot of time again "overnight". Suddenly all the questions and puzzles about these "big jumps" during the night are more or less answered and everything makes sense and fits together. As for the explanations that you can't use the system once the car is assembled - that doesn't make it any better! If you invent such a system, you also design it so that it can be accessed in a few minutes with just a few simple steps. And if you have such a system, then of course you use it accordingly, otherwise you wouldn't put it on the car in the first place. And the question of whether you use it during a period that is definitely illegal, i.e. when the parc ferme rule is in force, in a world that is all about pure competition, performance and pressure to succeed, is one that I think everyone can answer for themselves. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to prove on the basis of pure circumstantial evidence whether Red Bull broke the parc ferme rule that Bernie and Max introduced in 2003 to harm Ferrari and take away one of their advantages. Either way, the whole thing leaves a stale aftertaste in relation to Red Bull, because there are countless moments where you wonder how this is possible beforehand and which now, with knowledge of this system and assuming that it was used accordingly, paint a perfect picture. And this image is more reminiscent of completely black, not gray things like hidden fuel/ballast tanks or devices for raising and lowering the vehicle height.

Sure, Red Bull will always say that they didn't use it at Parc Ferme and that it's not accessible, but sorry - as I said before, if you have such a system on the car you make sure it's accessible in a few minutes and of course you will and want to use it accordingly. If at the end of the day it's a matter of winning or losing, especially in F1, and if obviously nobody has a clue, then this option will be used accordingly. Anything else is naive.
What a low quality post with a lot of insinuations. They solved the porpoising through the smart solutions of the hundreds of engineers in the vehicle dynamics and aero departments. Already in the 2nd week of testin in 2021. This device was changed just before Singapore. RB has not been the best until Miami 2024 because they can have a lower floor in qualy and correct for the race.

As this device design was uploaded just before the Singapore GP it has nothing to do with the sudden jump in performance between Friday and Saturday we have seen in some GPs.

No engineer wants to win through illegal designs. Red Bull and all engineers in F1 teams want to develop smart solutions that push the envelope in terms of engineering but are still within the letter of the rule.

This device was likely there to aid in quick set up changes.
If this system was actually introduced before the Singapore GP, the situation is of course different, but I was not aware of this at the time of my post. If your statement is true, there can of course be no connection.

mwillems

Zak Brown seems to be suggesting that he is acting now because some folks in the pit suggest it has been used. You'd think this would be ex Red Bull employees and quite possibly some that have come to Mclaren. Unlikely to come to anything unless those people come forward.

“The suggestion in the pit lane from a handful of people is that it has been used in that manner, so the only way to bottom it out is the old-fashioned ‘sign here’, stating what has gone on.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/zak-brown ... ck-tip-off
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

chrisc90

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 20:02
Zak Brown seems to be suggesting that he is acting now because some folks in the pit suggest it has been used. You'd think this would be ex Red Bull employees and quite possibly some that have come to Mclaren. Unlikely to come to anything unless those people come forward.

“The suggestion in the pit lane from a handful of people is that it has been used in that manner, so the only way to bottom it out is the old-fashioned ‘sign here’, stating what has gone on.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/zak-brown ... ck-tip-off
Seriously, whats a sign here note going to do?

Deflection from the illegal issues in his own back yard.

mwillems

Which is besides the point. The suggestion is that there is substance to the claims of something far more serious.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit