Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Fil

Re: Renault R30

Vasco wrote:They are using a very similar front wing to what mclaren used for the first half of last year.

Mclaren dithed it so I wonder why Renault see the need to copy it
Probably for the same reason why McLaren has copied Williams' 09 bulkhead-mounted splitter, when Williams have ditched it themselves this year.. it works for their specific aero setup!

Renault seems to be following a very similar design philosophy to the race-winning version of the MP-24 that we saw late last year. Naturally that begins at the front wing.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

spaman

By looking at the R30 and its components (W-Wing, Flaps, Frontwing) I would say the car looks pretty fast.

But by looking at the timetable (yes - I know that doesn´t tell toooo much, but maybe a little) it is pretty frustrating - just as it was last year, and the year before last year, and the year before...

I fear that they are going to challenge USF1 instead of Ferrari, RedBull, Mercedes and McLaren. :cry:

Fil

It looks like they're carefully adding parts as the days progress.. the car is probably the most changed, from launch-spec, of all the cars running thusfar, and it still looks very plain.. specifically in front of the sidepods..

no bargeboards still..? :?

but with fluminescent paint being used on the diffuser today, it looks like they're playing with the airflow under the floor.

surely bargeboards will be joining the other fins and splitter details already added over the past 2 days of running..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Roger the knife

Quick times probably going to come now. Kubica improves to a 1m12.643 to go fourth quickest

Renault getting down to business at last

mith

Hi. It's my first post, but I'm long time reader.

Where are you getting current best times from?

Roger the knife

The best I've found is the Spanish site

http://directo.thef1.es/tests/

Also note that Kub ran out at the end of this run, so was a low fuel run

mith

If I only knew Spanish a bit ;) But thanks a lot. I'll try to decipher something from that site. I have also hard time with finding pictures showing some new parts added since yesterday.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Scarbs is at the test event and posting via Twitter. Here's arecent post from him on the Renault diffuser, which he claims is only the lower portion.
http://twitpic.com/111617

I sure would like it if someone could somehow verify this. From the limited views I've seen it looks like there is a large upper exit area with curved tops similar to what McLaren had late last year.

Scarb's entire photo/line drawings posts are available too and worth the look. Some very interesting stuff on the McLaren diffuser design, which is just gigantic. Of course with all the diffuser evaluation you have to remember that the true limit of diffuser effectiveness now is in the parts you DON'T see such as the ports and undertray inlets.

tadzio89
tadzio89

BreezyRacer wrote: it looks like there is a large upper exit area with curved tops
I have the same opinion.

BorisTheBlade

tadzio89 wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote: it looks like there is a large upper exit area with curved tops
I have the same opinion.
+1

manchild
manchild

Is this a lollipop with fan to cool driver, or a device that fits rim in order to cool the brakes, since new ducting inlet prohibits a pipe to be inserted?

myurr
myurr

manchild wrote:Is this a lollipop with fan to cool driver, or a device that fits rim in order to cool the brakes, since new ducting inlet prohibits a pipe to be inserted?

Traffic light system, a la Ferrari 2008.

Pandamasque

korzeniow
korzeniow

BreezyRacer wrote:Scarbs is at the test event and posting via Twitter. Here's arecent post from him on the Renault diffuser, which he claims is only the lower portion.
http://twitpic.com/111617

I sure would like it if someone could somehow verify this. From the limited views I've seen it looks like there is a large upper exit area with curved tops similar to what McLaren had late last year.

Scarb's entire photo/line drawings posts are available too and worth the look. Some very interesting stuff on the McLaren diffuser design, which is just gigantic. Of course with all the diffuser evaluation you have to remember that the true limit of diffuser effectiveness now is in the parts you DON'T see such as the ports and undertray inlets.
First of all: Hello guys, as I am new here.

I think Scarbs is wrong. I don't knew from where he got thi horizontal line at height of red light.

Just look on this two pictures:

http://twitpic.com/1137t3

and

http://f1csatorna.hu/webimages/2010/02/val108.jpg

Despite of good resolution of pictures I can't find this line.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Korzeniow
Thanks for the great pics. That's in line with what I was thinking was going on .. That's a pretty big diffuser. You could get lost in there!