Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Renault R30

I'm not talking about the aliasing, or stair-casing as some call it, I am talking about the obvious bump on the side of the car.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

manchild
manchild

Yep, there are bulges on top too. Similar to ones on top of rockers.

Last edited by manchild on 14 Feb 2010, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet
Giblet

I've just never seen a rippled side to an F1 car. Looks like a bondo / sanding job on bad body work.

Still curious as to why they are there.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

roost89
roost89

Could it be there to accelerate air going into & around the sidepod? Proof of it being there on purpose would be its existence on the other side of the car.

Maybe a mistake. Further clarification will be shown in the next tub/on the other side of this tub.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

vyselegend

Yep, they're visible on the other side too

I don't buy any aero related reason. I'd suspect it has something to do with chassis structure, i know for sure they once again missed their initial crash tests, so they probably had to strenghten their monocoque in a rush. just a guess...

manchild
manchild

Unless there is something vertically movable in cockpit. Hmm...?

Since movable aero is no longer outlawed since introduction of adjustable front wings, what if those are two mass dampers on each side? :idea:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Cool pic of behind the scenes.

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Giblet
Giblet

I just noticed the small windscreen on the car.

I have not seen (noticed anyways) a windscreen for years.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Ferrari [almost] always uses a windscreen.

It seems that no other teams use it besides Renault and Ferrari.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

manchild
manchild

Oh sheet, I think I was right about the bulges on top. Those surely look like mass dampers on each side of cockpit! Check the lower mounting on pic.

czt
czt

Giblet wrote:I just noticed the small windscreen on the car.

I have not seen (noticed anyways) a windscreen for years.
Windscreens are common - mainly used to reduce buffeting on the driver.

Blackout

The bulges around Renault cockpits are not something new. The R29, R28 etc have the same thing...

manchild
manchild

Blackout wrote:The bulges around Renault cockpits are not something new. The R29, R28 etc have the same thing...
party pooper [-(

Sigh... I was so optimistic to see anything new in F1. It was always what made it interesting to me. These empty tubs, passive suspension, everlasting engines and gearboxes, identical tyres, rims, wings... BOOOOOORING!

Giblet
Giblet

Just like Flavio, the Renault seems to be oddly shaped and lumpy in areas more successful cars have been smooth. They must be sure of their justification of existence, whatever it may be.

After looking at some older photos of the car, seems to be a commonality indeed.

So these bumps have an aero, structural, or packaging capacity?

Saribro
Saribro

Meeting some regulation width perhaps?