Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dumrick
dumrick

Re: Lotus 2010 Car

I see this T127 (this number does remind me of a Fiat...) at least as a more compact-looking car than, say... this year's Ferrari or McLaren - I don't see any figure published by Lotus on wheelbase length, so I'm speculating by eye.

Maybe the boxy-looking sidepods are a giveaway of a larger fuel tank, achieving a shorter wheelbase the old way. It could even be that a guy like Gascoyne (although I never had the best opinion on him), could grasp that this year's cars handling requirements would require a compromise on aerodynamics and decided to compromise a little bit on the aero side to have a better packaging. Could it be that some of frontrunners made a bad decision on this compromise? That would provide some excitement...

I'm quite liking the looks of the Lotus and how this year's grids will finally be more colourful than the corporate looks on manufacturer's cars from the past recent seasons - and even some manufacturers risking more traditional colours, like Renault.

manchild
manchild

:lol:

Raptor22
Raptor22

manchild wrote:
axle wrote:I live nearby and know people at Group Lotus. They are happy with and involved in the Team Lotus. It's a fantastic marketing oppertunity for a band that's growing again with the Evora recently released and a new Esprit on the way.

I've heard rumours of engineer rotation too between the 2.
That's all very nice when it matters money for the employees, but it is shameful heritage-wise. When Colin was building ground effect cars, Proton was making what, rice bags? They were founded a year after Colin died, and now they paint the car like his, use the name, and put their logo on it! [-X

whats your point other than ignorant sentiment?

if you have no point then move your trolling over to a general chat board.
You have nothing to add on the technical merits of the Lotus t127, then quite frankly, leave.

cheers
thanks

manchild
manchild

cRaptor22, I've replied to just one of the several posts dealing with name, logo, livery and heritage issue. If you have some problem with that, blame all who have written about it, not just me.

Lotus came from Colin's mind, he gave birth to it, and if I have a problem with someone who is by my opinion abusing that for the sake of profit, on what basis are you shutting me up?

Political correctness? Up the ass of corporate hypocrites!

autogyro
autogyro

manchild wrote:cRaptor22, I've replied to just one of the several posts dealing with name, logo, livery and heritage issue. If you have some problem with that, blame all who have written about it, not just me.

Lotus came from Colin's mind, he gave birth to it, and if I have a problem with someone who is by my opinion abusing that for the sake of profit, on what basis are you shutting me up?

Having been involved with Lotus over many years, I am simply pleased to see the Lotus name again in F1. It matters not one jot to me where the money originates.
The team colours say it all for me.
Graham Hill was a great guy and the young should learn of these proper racing days.

thestig84
thestig84

manchild wrote:cRaptor22, I've replied to just one of the several posts dealing with name, logo, livery and heritage issue. If you have some problem with that, blame all who have written about it, not just me.

Your the only one that seems to have a problem with Lotus name being used. For the rest of us that are pleased and wish Lotus well please curtail your anti Lotus rants.

Raptor22
Raptor22

McLaren came from Bruce McLaren's heart and mind. Ron Dennis of Project 4 bought McLaren International. So why donlt you rant about that too.

ferrari was Enzo Ferrari's heart and mind, it was bought by FIAT. why don;t you rant about that.

Tyrell, was Ken Tyrell's heart and mind, and it was bought by British American Tobacco, then Honda now it is Mercedes GP, why don't you rant about that.

should I go on...?

This is a technical forum, if you do not wish to participate and continue to try to inflame with your ranting we could request that you are banned from posting on the technical forum. Very simple.
either keep it technical, or simply shut up. Better still, go away.

if you wish in to invoke emotion and stokes some fires, I suggest you try the planetF1 forum. here we talk about cars and the little physical parts related to them.
the history of Lotus and colin Chapman is chequered so if you wish to embark on this journey be prepared for the consequences, but do it somewhere else.

ciao

manchild
manchild

cRaptor, roll several pages back, and you'll see other posts similar to mine (non-technical but name/logo/heritage-wise). You obviously have a problem with me, not with what I'm saying, because it is an opinion already shared here by some other forum members.

I've ranted against what was done with Ferrari years before you became a member. Use forum search before being smart.

Mclaren is still Mclaren, it was never "Mclaren Rondel Project 4 whatever".

Tyrell sold his team while he was alive. He was forced to sell it due to financial problems, and he took it like a hard blow. I'm sure he's be pissed to see someone entering F1 again and naming team "Tyrell" without his approval. Just the way Colin would after seeing MG designing such horrible car with his team name on it.

And yes, don't tell me where to go, or what to do. I have posted my opinion about the car when it matters design, and another one when it matters livery and logo/name. You were the one who got bitchy and personal, so much that I could say f off without even considering that I'm overreacting.
Last edited by manchild on 14 Feb 2010, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

from what i see in this car it seems that it is really undevelopped, this car is nowhere gonna match the pace of the other teams.

The gearboxhousing seems titanium, im sure every team now uses carbon for it. The rear wing seems undevelopped too, boxy endplates wich no one runs. There doesnt seem any integration of the diffuser into the rear wing.

Also boxy sidepods, you'd at least expected to have air exiting out of the back, but it doesnt happen, im very sure the sidepods could be alot tighter at the rear and lower, if there was air exiting at the back i could understand it, but there isnt any.

Afterall i can say the car is really undevelopped, evwen for 2009 standards it would be, there are two things that seems better developped, the front wing(wich is an force india copy except for the upper deck end plate) and the diffuser, though it isnt that impressive.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Spencifer_Murphy

manchild wrote:it is an opinion already shared here by some other forum members.
I'm afraid manchild is correct here. But like I said, while obviously it would be nice if Clive Chapman was heading the project and Lotus was still an English manufacturer, I guess its better to have this Lotus than no Lotus at all - just my opinion.
manchild wrote:Mclaren is still Mclaren, it was never "Mclaren Rondel Project 4 whatever".
Yes, you are quite right, however this is not "Loprotonus Malaysia Racing" now, this is still Lotus, so I'm afriad I fail to see your point here.

In terms of the car one of the pictures shows above the rear end of the car, I think the boxy sidepods are a little misleading, the read end is heavily undercut and there is quite a lot of the floor left exposed. Maybe the car is a little better than we orgiginally gave it credit for.

Finally, I'm a bit late with this I know, but I've only just clocked on to who their engine supplier is:

Lotus Cosworth

How fitting is that?! :D
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

greenpower dude reloaded

Hmmm, lots of (TECHNICAL) stuff to think about (despite very little of it being commented on)

One thing i'd like to point out is that it doesn't look at all like any Force Indias I can remember.. and a few months ago that was quite a worry, It's especially interesting that it doesn't look like a force india but looks exactly like the wind tunnel model, that everyone thought looked like a .... Force India (yes said FI three times in a paragraph)

On the face of it I see this car at the back of the grid and unable to challenge the VR's (HAHA Virgin Racing abbreviated is the same as Virtual Reality)

BUT! I think there appear to actually be quite a few sensible decisions... so it could be an interesting battle at the back.

nacho
nacho

I'm sure they must have something different on the workboard already. Some experts here can probably say how much it takes for a team to build a car. What I mean they had at some point start concentrating on building the car. They needed a car fast, and now they have a car. I hope we'll see the car evolve a lot during the season.

Giblet
Giblet

Manchild is far from a troll, and raptor22, he was a here a long time ago, and is one of the valuable contributers to the forum, and one of the reasons I showed up here in the 1st place. I'm glad he returned after an absence.

Attack the post.... etc.

He is entitled to his opinion, as such are you. If he was asked to leave for expressing his opinion, that would be wrong in it's entirety.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

xpensive
xpensive

Raptor22 wrote: This is a technical forum, if you do not wish to participate and continue to try to inflame with your ranting we could request that you are banned from posting on the technical forum. Very simple.
either keep it technical, or simply shut up. Better still, go away.
This forum might be called "F1Technical", but looking at the board it becomes rather obvious that is in name only.
Also, I think you should be careful with requests from moderators, even more so with how you adress forum members.

Besides, I agree with manchild that recycling old racing names without a direct relation is a bit tasteless,
as I remember, so did the Brabham family last year?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

horse

Not trying to stoke the fire too much, but let's face it a name is just a name and a brand name like Lotus is worth a lot to race under. I doubt there are very many car manufacturers left in business (Porsche, BMW perhaps?) that can truly claim to be under the same ownership that started the business. Look at Aston Martin and Jaguar, great names that were floundering and then turned around (eventually) by foreign owners. I'm glad those companies are still building great cars which they would not have been able to do as a protected memory of an out of business firm. So, if new Lotus can be a competitive team that makes good cars then why not? It wasn't as if old team lotus finished on any kind of high.

I also don't understand the bashing of this car. Like we all know, a car is only as good as its lap time, and we don't know what the lap time of this car is yet. Sure, some of the aero looks a bit dated, but if it doesn't fall off and the car has perfect balance, then it can still be quick. What time advantage does DDD v.2 give over DDD v.1 anyway?

EDIT: (for spelling)
Last edited by horse on 14 Feb 2010, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu