USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jddh1

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

raceman wrote:Errm

It's quite strange!! Now, this team seems to be the only one not to make it to the Bahrin grid and still we have clocked up 138 "useless" pages..... :shock:

:-s

darn [-X [-( ](*,)
The interesting thing would be how many more pages will be added to this thread now that we know USF1 is a dead project.

Mr Alcatraz

jddh1 wrote:
raceman wrote:Errm

It's quite strange!! Now, this team seems to be the only one not to make it to the Bahrin grid and still we have clocked up 138 "useless" pages..... :shock:

:-s

darn [-X [-( ](*,)
The interesting thing would be how many more pages will be added to this thread now that we know USF1 is a dead project.
Since you mentioned it!!!!
I'm not done beating a dead horse!
I really believe that SpeedTv was complicit in this thing from the start!
Thinking they would reep reciprocal bene's.
Now they are aghast with concern, and consternation!
I received word that the team had just fired at least one of its PR men.

That most likely if an honest account from Speed was their PR men who they tasked with selling this facade.
I also hear that Speed TV has hired a replacement for Windsor, who served for years as the network's F1 track reporter, and that it has no plans to ask the new man to step aside.

Hamlet:
Madam, how like you this play?

Queen:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 229,230
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

fizzer
fizzer

Wait, they're not dead yet!

http://www.racer.com/us-f1-vows-to-figh ... le/164104/

Or are they. Who the heck knows.

countersteer
countersteer

We've been hearing about that "down server" for 3 days now. I believe the first reference was from a Twitter feed. Racer.com "prints" it today. Is that the lag in the news cycle? :wtf:

How long does it take to fix a server and how is it the website is still up and unchanged? #-o

segedunum
segedunum

Pandamasque wrote:
segedunum wrote: :roll: Create a new theory to fit the current situation and pretend that was what you believed all along.
For a moment I thought you were referring to Peter Windsor :shock:
It wasn't intended that way, but it certainly fits. The same things do keep coming back over and over in this thread no matter who or what you apply them to.

segedunum
segedunum

How long does it take to fix a server and how is it the website is still up and unchanged? #-o
It's now back up, and in all honesty it's not a particularly difficult or complex site to keep running. Portsmouth FC had their web site taken offline because of unpaid bills.

sknguy
sknguy

The other day I thought this team was done-for. Now I read the Murphythebear and Racer.com stories, as well as the twitter denial post, wow... I wonder where a person could preorder Windsor's memoires?

I'm not from the U.S. but I'd still love to see this team compete in Formula one.

madtown77
madtown77

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/sport ... autos.html

ANDERSON SPEAKS!

Looks like the FIA has this one. If they decide USF1 can miss 3 races as previously stated, then they have a slim chance of making it.

Hurley rumors are no more than that, though the team does admit that Lopez might take his money elsewhere.

Quick question then, putting the dislike of Anderson/Windsor aside, does anyone actually think Stefan GP makes more financial sense that having USF1 on the grid?
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Formula SAE: '06, '07, '08, '09

2007 Formula SAE World Champions
2008 Formula SAE at VIR Champions
2009 We switched engines and learned a lot...the hard way

Fil

madtown77 wrote:Quick question then, putting the dislike of Anderson/Windsor aside, does anyone actually think Stefan GP makes more financial sense that having USF1 on the grid?
Prodrive, Stefan GP, Lola.. even Litespeed made more financial sense than USF1.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Pandamasque

madtown77 wrote:Quick question then, putting the dislike of Anderson/Windsor aside, does anyone actually think Stefan GP makes more financial sense that having USF1 on the grid?
We'll have to put aside all we know about the whole team and their situation to think they might be a better thing for F1 than Stefan GP. Obviously having an F1 team from the US would be great for F1. But crucially Zoran Stefanovich has a few Formula1 cars. And that makes all the difference. :wink:

WhiteBlue

USF1 would be good for F1. On the other hand the FiA must treat all existing competitors equal. A difficult situation. The new teams were supposed to get help from established teams. That would have been very useful for USF1. Perhaps FOTA can decide to allow them to skip the four races. It does not look good unless they finally come up with substantial funding.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

twostring
twostring

I would hope that something like USF1 would lead to an entire "Americas" leg of the world championship. Grands Prix in Canada, the US, Mexico, a couple in South America...that could lead to more teams launching from this side of the pond. I'd enjoy it at least.

Although I was interested to see a US based F1 effort, there were too many other viable teams that were denied to allow USF1 a spot on the grid. It just wasn't fair to the other teams that had a chance to not only make it, but maybe even get a firm, long-term foothold in the sport.

Richard
Richard

Ken Anderson wrote:no plans to name a second driver
:? If there are looking for pay drivers and they haven't identified one yet, then that's a big hole in the accounts .. oops
We have a timeline in place that if we get a decision quickly, that triggers funding and we’re good to go. If it takes another week or two to make a decision, it keeps backing up.
You could take this as sincere. It wouldn't be a surprise for a new team to live hand to mouth and struggle to pay meet the payroll on time. Anyone starting up a new business will tell you that cashflow is a nightmare. We've seen it before with small teams in F1.

However, not having found a second driver shows that they can't convince sponsors to support a driver. I suspect that is due to lack of credablity.

If Todt is going to support them he'll need to see their accounts and completion of a significant sponsorship. Otherwise its just chasing a lost cause.

Oh, and for your informatoin, I have a timeline in place to compete in Bahrain too. It just needs a quick decision on some sponsorship, and support from Jean Todt. Its going to be called Walter Mitty Racing.

Richard
Richard

countersteer wrote:http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php ... /#more-737

More from Murphy... #-o
His argument does make sense.

madtown77
madtown77

Also, not to sound like a broken record on this, but Eccelstone didn't help this situation. I think he had contact with the Stefan team back at the end of last year and has tried to deliberately torpedo both Campos and USF1. Clearly that fact they have monetary problems leaves blame with management, but can anyone with a brain think that it would be easy to lock down a sponsor with Bernie touting how he doesn't think you have a chance?

Hope they work it out and can at least skip the first 3 races.
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Formula SAE: '06, '07, '08, '09

2007 Formula SAE World Champions
2008 Formula SAE at VIR Champions
2009 We switched engines and learned a lot...the hard way