USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
simplefan
simplefan

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

ESPImperium wrote:Stefan GP will get the nod, lets be serious.

With Stefan GP testing on Thursday at Portamao with Nakajimma, id say they will be in Bahrain.

Monday and Tuesday will be crucial to the storyline.
Monday and Tuesday will be interesting times for Bernie, the FIA, and USF1.

Thursday should be even more interesting as Stefan and Nakajima dodge the motorcycles that are scheduled for a 3 day (25,26,27) Moto trackday at Portimao. In all fairness another part of the site does have only 2 (26,27) track days listed.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... .com.pt%2F

Zootopian
Zootopian

I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed with what's happened to US F1 (as no doubt the people involved are too). I thought that if anyone could start an F1 team it could be Peter Windsor, especially after they decided against entering last year because they thought it was too early.

With the lead up to the pre-season very little was coming out of the US F1 camp, and I thought it was due to them wanting to keep their operation under the radar though it seems they were having to deal with other issues instead of developing their car.

As much as I would like them to race, I say if you can't make the start of the season you might as well not race the season. Give someone else a go who can. I don't know much about this Stefan GP outfit aside from the fact they're basically running the car designed by Toyota for this season. Who knows, they could pull a Brawn GP and surprise some people (but probably not).

KevlarUSA
KevlarUSA

I'd like the FIA to resolve this quickly. I can't see them allowing USF1 any leeway in where they start the season. Wouldn't all the other teams have to agree on this? If StephenGP has a car and a team ready to go than they should let them.

countersteer
countersteer

Nothing really new, but they've outlined options and Varsha spoke with the FIA...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... s-options/

raceman

Whether US F1 is in trouble or out of trouble, whether they will race in Baharin or will skip races and will race in China, whether this or whether that; this goddamn thread is growing at a steady pace - 141 pages now [-X

ArchAngel

Zootopian wrote:...I thought that if anyone could start an F1 team it could be Peter Windsor...
In the name of all that's mind-boggling, why?? :o :wtf: :?:

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

• Acquiring an available car, such as the Dallara chassis built for the financially troubled Campos Meta team in Spain;
This is the only option and it will be the Stefan (Toyota 2010), not Dallara.
The question is how the finances and control are split between Chad Hurley and the old fella in the nice jumper. (look at the pictures and you'll see what I mean)

Roger the knife

Hearing word from contact in US that it is over, kaput, it :shock:

Richard
Richard

countersteer wrote:Nothing really new, but they've outlined options and Varsha spoke with the FIA...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... s-options/
Did they "laugh at his accent", because that's what backward Europeans do when they meet an American according to Bob?... Oh, I see he spoke to an American member of the FIA Senate. No laughter. Phew.

Actually, I think the article says nothing about USF1 and a lot about Speed TV being in the gutter. I suspect the Speed TV hack who wrote that story got it from trawling forums like this one. It's entirely recycled. It shows that the Speed TV website has no meaningful connection with the Speed TV anchorman.

Heh ho, that's Speed TV's non-existent journalism for you.

dp35
dp35

Speed TV reports 2009 Formula Atlantic champion John Edwards will be driving a Mazda RX8 GT car in Grand Am for the rest of this year. This means he's effectively given up on his open wheel career (at least for now). If USF1 had any hope of acheiving their original goal of having American drivers in F1, Edwards would be a top prospect, and would need to be supported by them in order to come up through the ranks.

This is also yet another sad reminder of the state of US open wheel racing. If the Atlantic champion can't find support to continue, who can? Such a waste of top American talent.

Between USF1 and the Indy Delta Wing car, I can't blame Edwards (& Adam Christodoulou) for giving up on US open wheel racing and taking this good opportunity to race GT. Good luck to them.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... gt-ladder/

WhiteBlue

I visited the FiA Formula1 site today.

Suspiciously absent from the constructor list is BMW-Sauber and from the drivers list Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa. This is despite the FiA having confirmed an entry for the team. Everybody at that time thought the entry was in lieu of the Toyota team. But is that necessarily the case? Perhaps the Toyota situation will be artificially kept open to force Stefan to try and claim that position. How about this scenario?

In the next weeks USF1 will announce that they return their slot to the FiA. The FiA will award this slot to BMW-Sauber. In this case Stefanovic will try to claim the Toyota spot and the legal problems of the Toyota succession will become a talking point. It will soon become obvious that the Toyota succession will involve some very embarrassing details for Toyota which will lead to Toyota cancelling the deal for the chassis, engine and engineering support with Stefan.

Perhaps speculative at the moment but not unthinkable.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

firbanks
firbanks

WhiteBlue wrote:Suspiciously absent from the constructor list is BMW-Sauber
Joe Saward says is is an outdated list published before the Sauber entry was received.

WhiteBlue

firbanks wrote:
Joe Saward says is is an outdated list published before the Sauber entry was received.
I don't doubt the Sauber entry. The thing is the FiA had plenty of time to set things right and they may need only days to receive a retraction by USF1. To award the USF1 slot to Sauber would be a shrewd move. Stefanovich would be left to sort out the Toyota mess.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jddh1

WhiteBlue wrote:
firbanks wrote:
I don't doubt the Sauber entry. The thing is the FiA had plenty of time to set things right and they may need only days to receive a retraction by USF1. To award the USF1 slot to Sauber would be a shrewd move. Stefanovich would be left to sort out the Toyota mess.
Sauber is not listed on the official F1 site either.
but I think it's just an honest mistake. I think once the pages are updated they'll be there.

Pup
Pup

Motorsport Total has managed to get an interview with a USF1 employee: google translation

Basically just a repeat of what the infamous CompositeKen said - possibly even the same person.