Reducing the drag of a two element wing through stall

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Reducing the drag of a two element wing through stall

There would need to be a very large volume of air coming from the slot to disrupt the airflow over the wing.
I doubt they blow the slot to create a stall.
In aircraft applications I am only aware of blowing wings and flaps to maintain flow and increase lift.

timbo
timbo

I think the edges of the slot are elastic, so when there's no blow they are closed, when there's air from the duct they open up, but the blown air is slow, due to ducting and thus creates stalling.

PlatinumZealot

kalinka wrote:ScarbsF1 wrote this on his blog :
"As no flow passes to the rear wing vent the rear wing produces its normal amount of downforce to aid cornering. However on long straights the driver can move his leg from the brake pedal and press it against the opening in the duct, this sends the airflow from the snorkel through the duct to the rear wing vent. This airflow disrupts and stalls the wing adding some 3-4mph (6kmh) to the cars top speed. As he moves his leg from the duct to the brake pedal the airflow returns to the previous condition and the rear wing gains downforce once more."

I a bit confused about this. I was following this forum for a long time, and I thinbk most of the people here agreed, that blowing the wing reduces possibility of stalling, and increases downforce. I found some studies myself about this on internet. So for me, ScarbsF1 is wrong. The effect is opposite. When you go on straight, you have to CLOSE the snorkel, therefore disabling the blowing of the wing, to INDUCE stall. Am I wrong ?
IT is not like an aeroplane wing where stalling and drag is strongly affected by angle of attack. This is why people correlate stalling and drag together. Don't think about what people say, think carefully about the physics behind it.
Remember in F1 the angle of attack does not change during the race.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

kalinka
kalinka

n smikle wrote: IT is not like an aeroplane wing where stalling and drag is strongly affected by angle of attack. This is why people correlate stalling and drag together. Don't think about what people say, think carefully about the physics behind it.
OK, it does not change but one of the benefits of this system should be that if you blow the wing you can go with higher angle of attack than your opponents without adding too much drag and without stall. This applies though only in situations where you blow the wing in corners, and doesn't blow on straights. Still confused. ScarbsF1 doesn't write stupid things on his blog as I know, but even so, everything that I learned so far indicates that he is wrong. I am following this "blown wing saga" from the beginning, and for me it was obvious from the beginning that the blown wing is the normal operation and stall occurs when there is no blowing.
Wouldn't it be more realistic that the driver simply must break the airflow from the snorkel by pressing his leg against a flexible tube ?(on straights ). If the system works an opposite way ( like ScarbsF1's ), the driver has to seal a little hole with his leg on the tube. It's much harder than pressing a tube, because you have to find the exact place with your leg/knee and seal it completely.
Again, I'm not telling you that my theory is right, just it sounds more realistic to me. I'm not going into battle for this. Just think about it.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

The diagram of the fluidic device is for the bi-stable design.

If the geometry is slightly altered then the Coanda effect can be biased to one side. Only one control port is then required. While a signal is present at the control port the output switches to the other output port. That is what I expect McLaren have done.

When the signal is not present then the upper wing gets the airflow from above the drivers head. That blown air makes the airflow adhere to the upper wing. It causes increased downforce and increased drag. This is regime when cornering.

When the signal is present (when the driver blocks the hole in the duct from the snorkel with his knee {apparently}) the air from the inlet above the drivers head is diverted to exit close to the light at the back of the car. Without air from the slot the airflow separates from the back of the upper wing reducing both the downforce and the drag so the car runs faster.

It is a fail safe design - only when the driver deliberately closes the hole is the downforce removed.

'----------------------------------------
The Wiki article has been heavily revised since i first saw it. It now refers to a flip-flop which is what I said in my initial posting about it here on 3 March.

autogyro
autogyro

tok-tokkie wrote:The diagram of the fluidic device is for the bi-stable design.

If the geometry is slightly altered then the Coanda effect can be biased to one side. Only one control port is then required. While a signal is present at the control port the output switches to the other output port. That is what I expect McLaren have done.

When the signal is not present then the upper wing gets the airflow from above the drivers head. That blown air makes the airflow adhere to the upper wing. It causes increased downforce and increased drag. This is regime when cornering.

When the signal is present (when the driver blocks the hole in the duct from the snorkel with his knee {apparently}) the air from the inlet above the drivers head is diverted to exit close to the light at the back of the car. Without air from the slot the airflow separates from the back of the upper wing reducing both the downforce and the drag so the car runs faster.

It is a fail safe design - only when the driver deliberately closes the hole is the downforce removed.

The Wiki article has been heavily revised since i first saw it. It now refers to a flip-flop which is what I said in my initial posting about it here on 3 March.

+1 I agree, however as I have mentioned before,the transition between blown and unblown should be possible simply by tuning a control flow to airflow speed and volume.

PlatinumZealot

kalinka wrote:
n smikle wrote: IT is not like an aeroplane wing where stalling and drag is strongly affected by angle of attack. This is why people correlate stalling and drag together. Don't think about what people say, think carefully about the physics behind it.
OK, it does not change but one of the benefits of this system should be that if you blow the wing you can go with higher angle of attack than your opponents without adding too much drag and without stall. This applies though only in situations where you blow the wing in corners, and doesn't blow on straights. Still confused. ScarbsF1 doesn't write stupid things on his blog as I know, but even so, everything that I learned so far indicates that he is wrong. I am following this "blown wing saga" from the beginning, and for me it was obvious from the beginning that the blown wing is the normal operation and stall occurs when there is no blowing.
Wouldn't it be more realistic that the driver simply must break the airflow from the snorkel by pressing his leg against a flexible tube ?(on straights ). If the system works an opposite way ( like ScarbsF1's ), the driver has to seal a little hole with his leg on the tube. It's much harder than pressing a tube, because you have to find the exact place with your leg/knee and seal it completely.
Again, I'm not telling you that my theory is right, just it sounds more realistic to me. I'm not going into battle for this. Just think about it.

I was just talking about relating drag with stalling, I don't want to get into the blown wing talk again [-o<

The tube has to be rigid though. So that's why everybody think it's a hole cut in the side.

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

tok-tokkie wrote:The diagram of the fluidic device is for the bi-stable design.

another thing is..other teams usually blow the bottom wing. This year is Mclaren also blowing the bottom wing?

Racing Green in 2028

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Scarbs has it right. He states that when the air from the cockpit is blown down the tube to the airbox, "airflow to the rear wing disrupts" and that's the keyword. It doesn't add to the mass airflow, it affects it, in essence it's a control circuit.

And trust me, nothing in this device is anything but rigid and unflexible. If a pipe or slot could flex or move in any way, the other teams would howl in protest, and get the device outlawed faster than you can say "Kimi who"?
Last edited by DaveKillens on 23 Mar 2010, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

kalinka
kalinka

Time will tell. It's only my opinion about this. Maybe I'm a minority with that,but I'm still convinced that it's very hard to block a HOLE with your knee, when you can't even see it. Imagine how it would be hard even with your hand, to block a hole that you can not see. With those multilayer suits they wear, it's almost impossibble to block a little hole I think. I'm not going to post about it any more, because I think it's not so important question. I hope at the end I just can tell you : I told you, remember ? :)

ringo

The snorkel is a diversion. It seems I am going back and forth on the idea, but after some little analysis, i have come to realize that the system can work passively without a snorkel.

If the snorkel theory is true, the snorkel does not flow to the wing, if anything it flows to a chamber where it can influence the flow coming from under the engine air inlet. More like the fluidic amplifier.

Upon doing some tests, this snorkel flow does not need to be activated to change the flow direction from the pipe on the bridge wing (lower outlet) to the fin (outlet in the rear wing).
I think the flow in the engine cover is controlled by pressure differential between the bridge wing's top surface and the underside of the rear wing.
The flow will go to whichever route has the greater potential difference to inlet. At high speeds suction under the wing will encourage the flow to take this path instead of the path of pipe to the bridge wing. Both have suction, but the wing's suction is much lower; so easier path.

It should be possible to tune the pressure differential and when the wing stalls by playing around with the shape of the pipes and chamber, and also the angles with which they meet.

This is an example of what i thought was happening. This is when the pipe is on.
It works to collide with the air from the inlet, but it is redundant when the flow will turn by itself at speeds. If anything a knee controlled snorkel is a fail safe to force the air to deflect, if for some reason the passive system is not working. Or if the driver wants to force the stall when the car is bellow the tuned stall speed.

In summary, the snorkel could be a fail safe, or just a cooling device since it does not need to be on at high speeds to put air into the fin. At least this is what i think... for now.

I'll soon put up a little transient video i've done. It's suppose to show what happens in the valve when the car accelerates from a standstill up to 200+ mph. It shows where the passive system comes into action. Don't hold your breath though, I could be wrong and my video may not be the best cfd video!! just entertaining the convo. :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

fausto cedros

Great, Ringo. Well done.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

autogyro
autogyro

I suppose I should have drawn it but well done ringo.

hollus

Ringo:
I that scheme, the airflow to the rear wing looks unrestricted. In reality, all that air will have to come out of a small slit, surely that increases the pressure again?
But all perfectly plausible, we await your video.
Rivals, not enemies.

Belatti
Belatti

So its something like an electronic circuit, a control design where you have got an amplifier and a gate to activate it?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna