Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Oi!!!!

[-X [-X [-X

This is meant to be a thread for discussing the technical merits of the car, not the race, not the driver, and certainly no fanboi ying yang please!!!

segedunum
segedunum

thestig84 wrote:Its well documented that is does all sorts, that doesnt mean its correct. Mclaren are the ones that know what it does and they wont go around telling everyone.
I don't know what you're talking about there, but various teams know exactly what the performance benefit of that system is - which is what is actually being talked about.

thestig84
thestig84

segedunum wrote:
thestig84 wrote:Its well documented that is does all sorts, that doesnt mean its correct. Mclaren are the ones that know what it does and they wont go around telling everyone.
I don't know what you're talking about there, but various teams know exactly what the performance benefit of that system is - which is what is actually being talked about.
thestig84 wrote:
segedunum wrote: It's well documented and talked about that it gives them a few tenths relative to other teams, and it's pretty easy for other teams to measure as to what it is giving them.
Its well documented that is does all sorts, that doesnt mean its correct. Mclaren are the ones that know what it does and they wont go around telling everyone.

I would like to know how the other teams easily measure what it is giving them? By redbull drivers constantly sticking their heads in the cockpit? How do other teams know Mclarens wing levels, what speed the device begins to work well on the 25? Mclaren needed a lot of testing equipment to work this out yet you and the other teams know exactly what it gives them.

I see your point but you have nowhere near enough evidence to suggest it isnt just a point you are laboring to help you forget your mighty red bull struggling to 6th and 8th while an apparently highly compromised car finished 1st and 2nd!
I dont see what you dont understand. You seem to have handily ignored how you and the other teams know exactly how much the Mclaren system brings? and how it will work on other circuits? Sure they know roughly the principle brings but you seem to know the 25 is lacking 0.5 brought just by the rw80 and they will be off the pace when they can use it.

ringo

All that counts is the sector times. Mclaren are fast...
I am also glad to see the front end grip the snow plow is giving them. The car cuts and hugs corners very well. So much so you can visually see the car holding the inside of the line on exitwhile others vere off to the outside.
Funny enough i think the front aero is so good, it was the reason that the front left tyre on the #2 car went of so disproportionately on the chinese track.
The f duct is a zero compromise device, it has zero disadvantages. Other teams cannot make a no compromise f duct.
On tracks like barcelona, it will still give mclaren an advantage, any part of the track that has a straight line, it would benefit them.
The f duct is like having 2 wings on the car, i don't see where they will lose time on high downforce tracks, when all they have to do is run more wing and retune the duct.

Speaking about front end grip, I have an idea for a potential update for the Mp4 25. It's a new snow plow and it looks like it increases under-nose suction. I ran the CFD and it looks like it works though it may need refining. I haven't run it for exact numbers yet, just for a visual confirmation, but it looks promising. It also reduces side draft resistance and helps turn in. I'll put it in the aero thread.
For Sure!!

roost89
roost89

ringo wrote:All that counts is the sector times. Mclaren are fast...
I am also glad to see the front end grip the snow plow is giving them. The car cuts and hugs corners very well. So much so you can visually see the car holding the inside of the line on exitwhile others vere off to the outside.
Funny enough i think the front aero is so good, it was the reason that the front left tyre on the #2 car went of so disproportionately on the chinese track.
The f duct is a zero compromise device, it has zero disadvantages. Other teams cannot make a no compromise f duct.
On tracks like barcelona, it will still give mclaren an advantage, any part of the track that has a straight line, it would benefit them.
The f duct is like having 2 wings on the car, i don't see where they will lose time on high downforce tracks, when all they have to do is run more wing and retune the duct.

Speaking about front end grip, I have an idea for a potential update for the Mp4 25. It's a new snow plow and it looks like it increases under-nose suction. I ran the CFD and it looks like it works though it may need refining. I haven't run it for exact numbers yet, just for a visual confirmation, but it looks promising. It also reduces side draft resistance and helps turn in. I'll put it in the aero thread.
Did you run the current design or the launch design? The current one has no walls and has the camera pods mounted at the front sides. Possibly making cleaner air.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ringo

roost89 wrote:
ringo wrote:All that counts is the sector times. Mclaren are fast...

Did you run the current design or the launch design? The current one has no walls and has the camera pods mounted at the front sides. Possibly making cleaner air.
I ran something i made up, so I'll put it in the aero and suspension section. It's an iteration of the snow plow alone.
For Sure!!

thestig84
thestig84

Sounds interesting. Also it seems that the good front end doesnt seem to mind dirty air too much. Maybe the splitter plays a part in this?

dave34m
dave34m

roost89 wrote:
Sambo wrote:Martin Brundle was saying yesterday that McLaren have an update this weekend on the rear wing to get even more performance from the f-duct......Does anyone have any info on this??? Thanks!! :)
Nope, but Scarbs on Twitter was saying that when watching the McLarens you can see a Vortex form and break (right word) when going up the straight and under-braking for turn 1 and hairpin.

They're iniating it very early onto the straight, I assume, to get more acceleration once the acceleration isn't traction limited.
A really good example of the rear wing vortex on lap 9 or 10 when LH passes Webber. The front view replay clearly shows it working.

feynman
feynman

Anyone care to speculate as to what it was that Jenson had loose in the cockpit at the end of china?

Getting out of the car ...

Part of the belts?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Maybe it's a sponge ball for fitting in to the F-duct system. That straight is very long - maybe it let them rest their knee a bit instead of continually jamming it in the hole...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wrcsti
wrcsti

Maybe he poops hockey pucks?

segedunum
segedunum

thestig84 wrote:I dont see what you dont understand. You seem to have handily ignored how you and the other teams know exactly how much the Mclaren system brings?
It's pretty easy really. They look at how much time they spend on the straight and what their speed is, and they then look at how much time the McLaren spends on the straight and the straight line speed relative to theirs and judge whether they should be worried about the time they lose if they're not making it up elsewhere. It's not rocket science, and teams have ways and means of doing this when they want to investigate what other teams are doing and whether it is worth 'copying'.

forty-two

feynman wrote:Anyone care to speculate as to what it was that Jenson had loose in the cockpit at the end of china?

Getting out of the car ...

Part of the belts?
I had forgotten, but I noticed this too.

I also noticed before the race, a mechanic putting the steering wheel on had another bit which he fitted first, it looked roughly the same size and the same colour, but I dismissed it at the time thinking it must be part of the quick release system for the wheel, but perhaps this is indeed something to do with the F-Duct system? Although, if it is, then that part would presumably count as a movable aerodynamic device, even if it is attached to the driver in some way?

I pondered whether they'd need some sort of patch on the soles of their boots some pages back (oh, actually it was on the thread in the Aero Forum) as I still don't believe that this device is "KNEE" activated, if it is activated at all.

An interesting thought though.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

twoshots
twoshots

Maybe it's a cap to cover the hole when Mark Webber is around.

forty-two

twoshots wrote:Maybe it's a cap to cover the hole when Mark Webber is around.
Funny you should mention it, but Vettel had a good look when he got out of his car. I think I also saw Msc having a good nose a race or two back.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?