What will come after the 2.4 V8?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Sensible ideas for what will happen after the 2.4 V8?

010010011010 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Perhaps the compromise is restricted fuel and unlimited but standardized KERS in 2011.
I hope you dont mean standardised KERS as in standard design
So do I as that would be a backward step for the benefit of Ferrari McLaren Merc and to a lesser degree Williams.
If the intention is to show the world how much F1 is improving energy saving technology, then Kers MUST be kept as open for new ideas as is humanly possible.
I have a vested interest here. I have a system design that needs investment to make it better than current ones. If Ferrari etc force the issue in their interests it will further delay mine and other ideas simply for their financial benefit at the expense of world vehicle improvement and an improved environment.

WhiteBlue

010010011010 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Perhaps the compromise is restricted fuel and unlimited but standardized KERS in 2011.
Renault and Ferrari have proposed to use standardized KERS (I belive their Magneti Marelli system) next year to save cost. There seems to be a strong trend to go with that proposal. I don't like it and in the future the FiA definitely do not want standardized KERS. But for 2011 and 2012 it may come due to team decisions.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

xpensive wrote:
autogyro wrote:I agree and it is why I was suggesting front wheel generator/motors and dual flywheel battery storage.
It is true that one of the main areas of development will be in balancing the EM Braking with the conventional.
I would like to use only EM Braking and find ways of dealing with the energy excess. Wheel brakes are huge energy wasting technology in F1.
Unfortunately in road cars, unless they are driving stop start in built up areas, the use of brakes is fairly minimal by comparison, so F1 is a logical area for such ideas.
We seem to agree again, in order to get into the 100 kW bracket for energy recovery I also think we need all-wheel recovery. But what a contraption, back to inboard front brakes in a certain way? But how do we store all this energy, batteries we allready agreed won't work alone, then a big gyro?
To be honest, I do not know how to recover all the energy that would be available.
It would have to continue with a balance with conventional brakes as ideas developed. I just hope the regulations remain open and sensible enough to allow ongoing work in this area. I see this as essential.
My idea would be to use all EM braking and find a way to control the excess until ways can be found to recover it.

autogyro
autogyro

WhiteBlue wrote:
010010011010 wrote:
Renault and Ferrari have proposed to use standardized KERS (I belive their Magneti Marelli system) next year to save cost. There seems to be a strong trend to go with that proposal. I don't like it and in the future the FiA definitely do not want standardized KERS. But for 2011 and 2012 it may come due to team decisions.
I do not like this new attempt to monopolies the technology.
It will again delay new ideas getting to road car applications.
If this is confirmed it will prove yet again the real corrupt reason for Fota.
To sustain the obsolete in the face of economic and environmental demands.

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
010010011010 wrote:
To my mind, a standardized KERS is a contradiction in terms, should this be developed or not?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

autogyro
autogyro

No it should not. It would be giving all the technology to a group with a very very high level of vested interest. No way.
The public and fans should fight any such suggestion tooth and nail, unless they wish to be stuck with obsolete vehicle technology in their road cars.

autogyro
autogyro

I presumed you meant that Kers should not be given to just a couple of companies xpensive.
Of course I do think Kers should be developed.

xpensive
xpensive

autogyro wrote:I presumed you meant that Kers should not be given to just a couple of companies xpensive.
Of course I do think Kers should be developed.
If we want KERS to be developed to its full potential, it should of course be given free reigns

Pandamasque

Nobody wants to develop efficiency in F1. They want to showcase efficiency. The goal is to get a standard turbine and bolt to it a tiny standard 4 pot out of hot supermini, then add standard something that would allow them talking about KERS. The end.
Gilles Simon wrote:Less than one per cent of an F1 team's carbon footprint comes from running its cars. All the rest is from running the team, and above all, more than 60 per cent of the carbon footprint comes from the electricity they use in their factories and wind tunnels.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83210

xpensive
xpensive

Pandamasque wrote:Nobody wants to develop efficiency in F1. They want to showcase efficiency. The goal is to get a standard turbine and bolt to it a tiny standard 4 pot out of hot supermini, then add standard something that would allow them talking about KERS. The end.
Gilles Simon wrote:Less than one per cent of an F1 team's carbon footprint comes from running its cars. All the rest is from running the team, and above all, more than 60 per cent of the carbon footprint comes from the electricity they use in their factories and wind tunnels.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83210
You are a cynic panda, however, I'm afraid you are a correct cynic to some xtent.

autogyro
autogyro

Yes but the attitude is wrong from the teams.
All they state about the environmental effect of F1 is true and how could it not be, these are brilliant engineers and know the science.
It is the way F1 is perceived by the world public however that is of infinitely more importance.
It is true that arguments can be used to prove that F1 causes a very low level of CO2 addition when compared to anything else at this level of human interest but nobody outside the narrow frame of F1 itself knows or cares about this.
However the other side of the coin, an active drive from within F1 to show real effort to address CO2 output and save energy, both in F1 and for road cars as a spin off, will be seen as a hugely comendable action by those responsible in F1.
I just hope that the out and out motor heads both inside and outside F1 can be beaten to allow this incentive, starting with the manufacturers of wasteful gas guzzling obsolete road cars and the oil barons that support them.

autogyro
autogyro

IMO there is now absolutely no way the teams and F1 as a whole can simply panda to energy conservation or reducing CO2 and lie to the public.
The public awareness today about these issues is far far higher than even a year ago. The writing is on the wall for the end of performance by fuel wasting.
Those who do not recognise this within F1 will soon be gone.

rjsa
rjsa

What I really would like to see is:

-Limited fuel amount per race KM, yearly drop in amount;
-Standard ECU (this could get complicated with varying engine geometry, anyone has a better idea on how to block TC?);
-Engine has to last X races and qual sessions, sealed on first use (no more freeze);
-Heavily constrained materials (production only), like aluminium, cast iron, steel and ABS (add whatever is used on turbines gaskets, crank bearings, piston rings and pins for a Passat 1.8 Turbo).

Edis
Edis

xpensive wrote:
autogyro wrote:I watched that exact comparison and I have to say you are right.
It is going to be very difficult for the FIA to make this call on the new engine/Kers regulations and keep up the spectacle.
Perhaps a reversed grid would help keep things exciting.
I'd like to return the courtesy Auto by saying that however technical xciting, it's hardly doable unless for the top four or five teams.
Just think about it, an 800 kJ battery to be charged/discharged every 80 sec? My Sony Ericsson U-polymer 3.8V Cell-phone battery is 12 kJ and it takes two hours to charge/discharge.
Your cell phone battery is a lithium-polymer cobalt oxide battery. There are reasons for that. The thin prismatic form factor means polymer electrolyte is recommended. And the lithium cobaltdioxide cathode gives a very high energy density. This is important in order to keep the weight of the phone down. It also gives a 3.7 average voltage (various lithium ion chemistries gives between 3.3-4.2V/cell), enough to power a phone using a single cell. But this kind of battery also got several disadvantages. For starter, the battery is quite sensitive overcharging, overdischaging and high temperatures so it requires a protection circuit. One of the purposes of the circuit is to prevent thermal runaway which can cause fire and/or explosion (as some cell phone, mp3 player and similar owners have discovered). These batteries are also optimised toward energy density, while their power density is not that great. After all, a cell phone doesn't consume that much power anyway. The time it takes to fully charge a lithium battery is essentially the same anyway.

But there are other lithium ion chemistries. Such as manganese spinel and iron phosfate. This kind of chemistries are found in high power applications, like hand tools, hybrid and plug in hybrid cars. Chevrolet Volt do for instance use a lithium ion manganese spinel battery. These batteries are safer, provide a higher power density but also a lower energy density (a little over half that of the cobalt oxide battery).

When a battery is used in a hybrid car, or a KERS system for that matter. The battery is never fully charged, or discharged. The battery is instead kept in a state of charge within a certain range. Say 30% to 85% as in the case of the Chevrolet Volt. That range is used to increase the lifetime of the battery, the battery can also be rapidly charged and discharged in this range, and the battery voltage is stable.

With KERS, the engine density is also not important. We need a battery that can store 400 kJ or 111 Wh. This is about what two normal laptop batteries can store. So storing the amount of energy isn't a problem. It's the power density that sets the limit to battery weight. Say we have batteries that can handle 4 kW/kg, then for 60 kW, we need 15 kg of batteries. Those same batteries can store about 7 MJ, almost 20 times the energy we needed to store. So the batteries can operate a very narrow range, with regard to state of charge.
rjsa wrote:What I really would like to see is:

-Limited fuel amount per race KM, yearly drop in amount;
-Standard ECU (this could get complicated with varying engine geometry, anyone has a better idea on how to block TC?);
-Engine has to last X races and qual sessions, sealed on first use (no more freeze);
-Heavily constrained materials (production only), like aluminium, cast iron, steel and ABS (add whatever is used on turbines gaskets, crank bearings, piston rings and pins for a Passat 1.8 Turbo).
Actually, today there are several materials that are used in production, yet still banned in F1. Most materials used in F1 engines are actually quite conservative. Mostly a mix of aluminum alloys (pistons, head, block, engine covers, pump housings, pump rotors), iron based alloys (camshafts, crankshaft, gears, piston pins, fasteners, piston rings, cam followers), titanium (connecting rods, valves), CFRP (intake manifold, non structural engine covers) and superalloys (exhaust manifolds, fasterners).

In production, materials like metal matrix composites, titanium alumnide, magnesium and are used, while these are all banned in F1 engines.

Pingguest
Pingguest

rjsa wrote:-Standard ECU (this could get complicated with varying engine geometry, anyone has a better idea on how to block TC?);
I can't see why a standard ECU would be necessary to successfully enforce the ban on driver aids. In WTCC traction control is banned, but the ECU isn't standardized. More convincingly, in 2007 the FIA could successfully enforce Formula 1's rev-limit without having a standard ECU.

An alternative for the standard ECU would be to allow teams to use their own (supplied) ECU and get it approved by the FIA. After approval no changes without notice should be allowed.