Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

feynman wrote:
Rikhart wrote:That new front wing is amazing...
What new front wing? It hasn't been seen yet has it?

But new rear wing has ...

Old wing:

New Straight wing:

... always a slight disapointment when the hard-hearted laws of physics make a straight edge more efficient than some lovely curvy sweeps.
It's still curved, but less so.

I don't think it is more efficient, maybe it's just more suitable for this track, or it could be possible the f duct is a able to increase down force as well as stall this time.
Aerodynamically an elipse curve is better than a straight line.

Notice those 2 ridges in the wing belly as well? Maybe these have to do with the straight wing design.
For Sure!!

ringo

Air usually circulates in the belly of the wing and moves across the wing surface(blue and green arrows). The ridges may act like walls to limit this movement, since the circulation kinds of chokes up the flow in the middle 150mm at the wing centre. The ridges act to break up the circulation i guess, while also can channel the air more directly through the middle slot, (light blue). This air keeps the flow attached on the back and underside of the wing; knowing that the centre part somehow has a lower velocity on these high camber wings, and tend to have detached flow.
Lotus uses this little winglet to push air up under the backside of the wing to keep the centre flow attached. It's an innate problem with these wings.

The high camber wings exhibit air circulation in the belly as well, and it's not good for any slots used to let air to energize the backside of the very steep wing.
For Sure!!

zgred

Blackout

New diffuser, rear wing,splitter...

lotus7
lotus7

zgred wrote:Image
That "dissymmetry" ( is that a word ? ) between left and right rear sidepod /exhaust outlet still confuses my little brain. What is under that left side cover ?

gibells
gibells

Are my eyes deceiving me or have they repositioned the blown slot of the f-uct higher up the wing?

autogyro
autogyro

gibells wrote:Are my eyes deceiving me or have they repositioned the blown slot of the f-uct higher up the wing?
Perhaps the left hand side pods big air/ exhaust outlet is directed in such a way as to improve the flow over the rear of the wing to increase potential AofA.
This has allowed a new wing design with higher DF, which in turn has established a new ideal position of the blow slot?
Perhaps a big side pod tube on both sides would be to much drag at high speed?
Or perhaps we will see both sides at Monaco?

lotus7
lotus7

autogyro wrote:
gibells wrote:Are my eyes deceiving me or have they repositioned the blown slot of the f-uct higher up the wing?
Perhaps the left hand side pods big air/ exhaust outlet is directed in such a way as to improve the flow over the rear of the wing to increase potential AofA.
This has allowed a new wing design with higher DF, which in turn has established a new ideal position of the blow slot?
Perhaps a big side pod tube on both sides would be to much drag at high speed?
Or perhaps we will see both sides at Monaco?
Any chances of that left hand pod tube being moved to the right hand side in aanti clockwise circuit ( Brazil ) ?

autogyro
autogyro

Not realy and I missed something. I think the right hand side pod outlet goes to the top of the diffuser.

wesley123
wesley123

i want to see a top view of that rear wing, looks pretty complicated too, seems like it got a double part of ridges?

EDIT: saw a pic of it and it is actually pretty simple, there is an central 15CM duct in it iwth a weird bulge.
Those outer things are ducts too but they are 90 degrees to the wing profile thus completely legal, together they feed the whole slit on the back.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

feynman
feynman

Are my eyes deceiving me or have they repositioned the blown slot of the f-uct higher up the wing?
Bahrain:

Spain:

Serious Business.

ringo

The wing is stalled less. The slot stalls a smaller portion of the wing. The bottom element's slot is also lower. Looks like they need the downforce and may not want to give too much away with the f duct.
For Sure!!

Pandamasque

newbie wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
newbie wrote:the inlets are similar to those on the 2009 high-downforce RW, except that one is on the left side of the car and the other is on the right side. i havent seen any 100% clear image of the inlets but if my suspicion is correct it should be fairly obvious come tommorrow.
Sorry i think i misunderstood what you ment. What you are talking about is what is visable right underneath the first "O" and the "N" in the vodafone logo right?
yup, thats it!
Aren't those slots only allowed within the 15cm right in the middle?

EDIT: just read the 90 deg. thing. understood.
Last edited by Pandamasque on 07 May 2010, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

Pandamasque wrote:
newbie wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Sorry i think i misunderstood what you ment. What you are talking about is what is visable right underneath the first "O" and the "N" in the vodafone logo right?
yup, thats it!
Aren't those slots only allowed within the 15cm right in the middle?
like i said those 2 slots are placed 90 degrees to the wing chord so they are completely legal
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

Well i guess it's because Mclaren have managed to maintained 2 closed sections in a longitudinal plane beyond the 75mm mark. Very tricky geometry.
For Sure!!