Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raceman

Re: Lotus T127

WOW!

This looks fantastic, and sleek! I like it. I hope it is worth 1.5s+ as per the claims. [-o<

jac
jac

Not a bad looking wing. The basic conscept reminds me of the TF109 last year.

Barring the end-plate flip-ups, the rest of it is very similar to the Toyota's below

Any thoughts on this?

gibells
gibells

I remember those winglets last year suffered from heavy deflection over bumps. Lotus ones look shorter and more curved in profile, so should be less so. It's interesting to me that with all the ex Toyota designers/engineers that Lotus is tending towards that design thinking. I would really love to see how the still-born TF110 looks. Anybody have any scoops?

marcush.
marcush.

depron is a expanded polystyrene foam and used as core material...it is not very good in compression...in fact it is common practise to crush it in the molding process to size ...so not really something you want to use as a jig...sorry.

normally you would do your jigs in the same material as your parts -so you can cure with a thermal process without having to make allowances for different expansion rates of jig and parts. ..when no tempering necessary you would use the stiffest material that is easy to machine to exacting tolerances ..tooling block ..aluminium as an alternative or steel ..or carbonfibre.

zgred

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

marcush. wrote:depron is a expanded polystyrene foam and used as core material...it is not very good in compression...in fact it is common practise to crush it in the molding process to size ...so not really something you want to use as a jig...sorry.

normally you would do your jigs in the same material as your parts -so you can cure with a thermal process without having to make allowances for different expansion rates of jig and parts. ..when no tempering necessary you would use the stiffest material that is easy to machine to exacting tolerances ..tooling block ..aluminium as an alternative or steel ..or carbonfibre.
I have a cnc machining center. I have seen similar blue foam used for checking toolpaths and making trial pieces. Nothing to do with autoclaving. Very simple to machine without tool wear and no coolant. I don't have a need for it right now but wanted the trade name so I could Google to see where to get it locally (Cape Town). Was amazed to read that Trelleborg stuff is strong enough for metal forming.

marcush.
marcush.

there are some pretty intersting materials readily available...most people tend to stick to what they have used before :?

Blackout

Tweaked diffuser

zgred

nacho
nacho

1.5 seconds from Liuzzi and Barrichello, I think they've gained what they expected. I couldn't see any difference on the sidepods, I think some of their updates are still missing.

polarboy
polarboy

As stated the blue material is tooling block,not a foam .Its used to make mostly all the patterns an lots of jigs,for the front wing its a cold bonding jig so heat isnt an issue
Product shown is from axson but there are lots about from ACG (TB650,720),Amber,axson to name a few
Diffrent to machinist,s wax that is used to test tool paths,but it could be used but tooling block isnt cheap !

majicmeow
majicmeow

ah, its good to see the good ole TF109 back in action :wink: :mrgreen: God i miss that car :(

marcush.
marcush.

polarboy wrote:As stated the blue material is tooling block,not a foam .Its used to make mostly all the patterns an lots of jigs,for the front wing its a cold bonding jig so heat isnt an issue
Product shown is from axson but there are lots about from ACG (TB650,720),Amber,axson to name a few
Diffrent to machinist,s wax that is used to test tool paths,but it could be used but tooling block isnt cheap !
thanks for confirming the tooling block ,axson is obvious choice....but cold bonding on these parts ?due to timing constraints? or is thermal curing just too much of a hassle?

polarboy
polarboy

if you look at the 2 pictures of mrG in the bond room you will see the Ali jig on the surface table,the 4 blue tooling block jigs holding all the parts in the correct place an on the end of the wings you have the jigs to locate the fish plates/spacers
Lots of wing parts are made of several smaller carbon parts all bonded together to create the final item,an since al lot of them are painted you would never know

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.