Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

wesley123
wesley123

interresting design, actually going way different then most teams who have such connection at the first plane. probably has to do with yaw
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

nedc
nedc

so now mclaren has two blown slots. one in the main plane, fed through both the 150mm central inlet and the two new logitudinal inlets quarter-way from the sides of the wing. the second one blown by the f-duct.

Pandamasque

nedc wrote:so now mclaren has two blown slots. one in the main plane, fed through both the 150mm central inlet and the two new logitudinal inlets quarter-way from the sides of the wing. the second one blown by the f-duct.
They had that 'local' blown slot since last year, but was a single 15cm slot in the middle (most teams have it).

wesley123
wesley123

actually the lower slit is driven by air passing over the first plane into the ducts, thus alowing higher Angle of attack. That is probably the reason why those ducts are 90 degrees to the chord, so under jaw it actually feeds the wing and on the straight it can be stalled more easily. It seems the central 15CM duct is really small
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

Blackout wrote:The real new front wing (new endplates)

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ay/253.jpg

With gurney flaps

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ay/269.jpg
check out the winglets on the inside of the wheels in front the braking ducts in the second pic.
For Sure!!

feynman
feynman

Slightly clearer view, well sorta, well I think so, of the 150mm gap feeding the lower slot (in the from-behind photos). All things considered, there's a whole lotta blowin' going on back there.

Last year's car didn't launch with it, the 150mm gap appeared in Monaco I believe, but taking it to the next level and the idea of the long blown-slot was BMW in Japan if I remember correctly.

Don't think it ever showed up on the 24. So while the cutout is not novel, it's the first time that they've blown a slot all along the lower element. (Plus the notoriously well discussed f-duct slot on the upper element)

ringo

Yes for some reason they did not have a hole in the earlier F duct wing, i was wondering if they believed that they did not need it.

Very complicated wing though, funny how the rbr is so simple, yet 1 second faster. I wonder how much weight mclaren put's on their car with all these fan-dangles they have?
For Sure!!

autogyro
autogyro

My thinking exactly ringo. McLaren is going OTT with all the fancy gear and the result could well end up taking them backwards.

Pandamasque

Holm86

The fastest time of mclaren was set by hamilton @ 1:21.134

During wintertesting the fastest mclaren time in barcelona was also set by hamilton @ 01:20.472.

So i dont believe we have seen the true pace of the car just yet.

Could we expect a time 1 sec down on the wintertesting time??? around 1.19.500???

thestig84
thestig84

Holm86 wrote:The fastest time of mclaren was set by hamilton @ 1:21.134

During wintertesting the fastest mclaren time in barcelona was also set by hamilton @ 01:20.472.

Could we expect a time 1 sec down on the wintertesting time??? around 1.19.500???
Very good point. Seemed to only try in practice one when the track was very green. Maybe after showing their hand early on in the last couple rounds and coming up short in qualy they are thinking there is nothing to loose to keep the other guessing a bit.
ringo wrote: Very complicated wing though, funny how the rbr is so simple, yet 1 second faster. I wonder how much weight mclaren put's on their car with all these fan-dangles they have?
No weight! They will be under the weight limit so the worst will be loosing some ballast to shift around. It will be such a small amount i dont think the fact it is high up will even matter. It is all carbon with some being hollow/honeycomb etc

ringo

Yeah i know, but ideally you want it all at the COG. It's negligible and i'm nit picking, but i still think cleaner and simpler is better aero wise. The redbull is just quick for no apparent reason. :( This is why i think the basic shape of the car is very important initially.

With that, the redbulls were in the 1:19s on the barca track, i wonder how much more Mclaren has in the car?
It should be a massive improvement from the winter tests, so i think 1:19.5 sound about right.
For Sure!!

shamikaze
shamikaze

ringo wrote:The redbull is just quick for no apparent reason. :( This is why i think the basic shape of the car is very important initially.

With that, the redbulls were in the 1:19s on the barca track, i wonder how much more Mclaren has in the car?
It should be a massive improvement from the winter tests, so i think 1:19.5 sound about right.
Which is why I still am thinking about the "flexing" around a hortizonal axis of the entire rear-wing (link to video some pages back) and possibly even the diffuser (remark made by myself). RBR/Newy has been successfull at the keeping the "exposed aero components" as clean as possible (more so then most teams), whilst still having created the highest levls of DF.

Another thing I have been thinking about is the trick-suspension Newey supposedly has created. By allowing the reaer-wheels to move backwards during compression (rather then pure vertical, along a diagonal or even arc'd line)the car has the ability to profit from a longer wheelbase during high-df sections which adds stability and also makes the base sit lower to the ground increasing Df even more. Also whilst under normal DF levels, the wheelbase will be short allowing a more "agile" car. Obviously very tricky to set-up and build, but certainly possible and also would explain why they keep the 4 corners of the car protecteed when camera's are in proximity.

timbo
timbo

Holm86 wrote:The fastest time of mclaren was set by hamilton @ 1:21.134

Cars are usually much faster during winter.
Probably cooler/denser air yields more engine power.