Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

timbo wrote:
Holm86 wrote:The fastest time of mclaren was set by hamilton @ 1:21.134

During wintertesting the fastest mclaren time in barcelona was also set by hamilton @ 01:20.472.

So i dont believe we have seen the true pace of the car just yet.

Could we expect a time 1 sec down on the wintertesting time??? around 1.19.500???
Cars are usually much faster during winter.
Probably cooler/denser air yields more engine power.
I dont believe you are right. Yes you gain quite a small procentage of power in the cooler air but i still believe a warmer track temperature will make you faster than the cooler air.

timbo
timbo

Holm86 wrote:I dont believe you are right. Yes you gain quite a small procentage of power in the cooler air but i still believe a warmer track temperature will make you faster than the cooler air.
Just look at the stats.
Barcelona test March 2009, R.Barichello -- 1:18.926
Barcelona Q results 2009, Q2 fastest, R.Barichello -- 1:19.954

Same stuff almost every year.

zgred

timbo
timbo

Updated diffuser?

Blackout

Blackout wrote:New diffuser, rear wing,splitter...

Endplates:

wesley123
wesley123

also note the new front wing upper deck got less of a sweep.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

segedunum
segedunum

ringo wrote:The wing is stalled less. The slot stalls a smaller portion of the wing. The bottom element's slot is also lower. Looks like they need the downforce and may not want to give too much away with the f duct.
Yes, it looks like that's what they're doing. I wonder whether this is a permanent bit of tuning for the system that we will see at other tracks or whether this is Barcelona specific. If it's the latter then tuning this for different circuits is going to be rather difficult. I think the way that stall is introduced and keeping the wing from being less efficient in terms of downforce generation, even when it is not 'on', is incredibly complicated. When other teams introduce such a system they have to ask whether what they are having to do with the rear wing is compromising that in itself.

The strange thing is, when you look at the speed traps now they are not really gaining anything noticeable from the system. That goes back to my original, and apparently controversial point, that they're missing out on cornering speed and downforce. When you seek to gain time from a straight line speed advantage then you rather have to put your eggs in that basket.

Put simply, when we see all the nineteen races it will be interesting to see whether it has given any real benefit overall now that we can watch Ferrari as well.

segedunum
segedunum

ringo wrote:Very complicated wing though, funny how the rbr is so simple, yet 1 second faster. I wonder how much weight mclaren put's on their car with all these fan-dangles they have?
True. I have always had a hard time believing that this system was 'free' in any way. Yes, they have a less than streamlined engine cover which might cost them in ways we would have to super-analyse, but what they are having to do with that rear wing seemingly in an attempt to make sure that they're not compromised for downforce is a bit of a worry.

segedunum
segedunum

thestig84 wrote:No weight! They will be under the weight limit so the worst will be loosing some ballast to shift around. It will be such a small amount i dont think the fact it is high up will even matter. It is all carbon with some being hollow/honeycomb etc
You're looking at this the wrong way. Yes, overall the cars will all hit a set weight, but where you have to put various components on your car is vitally important because every part has to count. Even the non-existent space that the car exists in has to count in some way.

It looks as if McLaren are having to overcomplicate their rear wing to control the stall mechanism and make sure that their wing is not compromised for downforce. The worrying thing will be if this isn't really gaining them any downforce relative to their competitors - that they're having to do this to make sure they're not compromised by a system that isn't really giving them anything significant around Barcelona.

zgred

PlatinumZealot

Gills?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

autogyro
autogyro

I believe the McLaren reflects the ultimate stupidity of Down Force at the expense of everything else,including the future of F1.
I believe they have gone way to far and will now catch an aweful cold for the rest of the season.
While other teams fine tune neat and effective aero packages, McLaren will be hard pressed to remember what everything on their Forth Bridge actualy does.

ringo

Yes it's too many things that can go wrong, but if they refine these technologies, they are going to be sitting pretty near the end of the season and also for 2011.

Funny i had a concept for putting gills in the snowplow, i wouldn't be surprised if they did that for monaco.

What i like about this wing though is that it addresses the problem with the air circulation in the wing. It attempts to make use of it.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:Yes it's too many things that can go wrong, but if they refine these technologies, they are going to be sitting pretty near the end of the season and also for 2011.

Funny i had a concept for putting gills in the snowplow, i wouldn't be surprised if they did that for monaco.

What i like about this wing though is that it addresses the problem with the air circulation in the wing. It attempts to make use of it.
I think it fixes their downroce problem, they can still stall their wing on the straights but the flow keeps longer attached in turns due to the 90 degree mounted ducts.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Poleman

I am starting not to worry that much about the RedBulls...They seem to be lightyears away in Quali but in the race...Hamilton proved his class once again and the MP4-25 that in race mode is a well balanced and absolutely fast car.