Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bugref
bugref

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Yups I stand corrected my apology on that regard. Looking forward for the race tomorrow I do hope Schumacher can get a good result. Hopefully a podium but I am realistic here, but a podium will be a big big bonus for the hard work they made.

Good Luck Michael Schumacher.

WhiteBlue

The RB6 is certainly the car that sets the pace. It used to be that the Red Bull was strong in fast corners because they had high downforce and relatively good aerodynamic efficiency. This was much owed to their superior front end design that gathered much air and build up a high flow under the floor. They did not have good traction in low speed corners though due to a compromised pull rod rear suspension and gear box layout.

This year they have kept their advantage in high speed corners although the downforce is much increased with the 2nd generation DDDs and have added good traction. I guess they still had the best front end design and added some refinements found by their competitors. But crucially they sorted the back end for good diffusor flow and optimal traction out of slow corners.

The RB6 with the pull rod suspension is incredibly narrow compared to other cars. I guess last year they never got a good compromise for aero packaging and grip. This year they have made jump forward, although according to Scarbs working the suspension is a nightmare for the mechanics. Any change to the damping requires a gearbox/floor job.

Their only "weakness" may be potential top speed on straights. Without effing duct they are giving some top speed away in the dry or downforce in the wet. If they get that they may shave another 0.5 s off their lap time in Barcelona.

So how is that comparing to W01? Probably the car is not good enough in terms of front end air flow which hurts the downforce and may have fallen back on traction as well. Merc have lost four races to get in a shape that they should have had in February and now their potentially stronger driver is 50 points behind the plan. They are fighting two handicaps this season. They have another aero upgrade coming in Turkey after Monaco. If that doesn't move them ahead of Ferrari and potentially McLaren they might as well focus on next years car and hope that the front end design will radically change due to regulations. The way it is now, Newey is making all the points there.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 09 May 2010, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tim.Wright

djos wrote:I wonder if that massive central pillar reduces airflow to the engine on long sweeping corners by effectively blocking air to one side of the intake?

Or are F1 cars simply not moving fast enuf to have that problem?
You never need full power in the middle of a corner so I dont think it would ever be an issue. If it cuts some air out, then the driver just needs to put his foot down further to compensate.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

zgred

Airbox:

mach11
mach11

any pics of the lineup... i only have updates... no access to TV :cry:
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

djos

Tim.Wright wrote:
djos wrote:I wonder if that massive central pillar reduces airflow to the engine on long sweeping corners by effectively blocking air to one side of the intake?

Or are F1 cars simply not moving fast enuf to have that problem?
You never need full power in the middle of a corner so I dont think it would ever be an issue. If it cuts some air out, then the driver just needs to put his foot down further to compensate.

Tim
no air in the engine will not allow you to burn fuel! anyway, I don't reckon the F1 cars go fast enuf for it to be an issue like it would be for a Fighter jet.
zgred wrote:Airbox:

Thanks for the Pic, that is a 2 into 1 design so the engine is never going to be staved of air.
"In downforce we trust"

manchild
manchild

Something is fishy there...

The bottom which normally sits on top of trumpets bay is fully covered with CF plate. :?

ringo

It's an illusion, you will find it looks like a funnel instead of a plate if you stare hard enough.
It caught me out initially.
For Sure!!

Raptor22
Raptor22

manchild wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:the T cam on top of the car is the one which works as roll structure for the car and the beam below strengthens it. and the knife like thing wont even go into gravel
T cam casings would fly on multiple roll, or snap on landing since they are just thin hollow casing for two cameras. There is no T structure, just vertical one.

Regarding Nico and new chassis, well, these are his worst results this year on FP. It suits MSC, not him.

That picture is misleading and the arguement behind it flawed.

The roll structure does has to pass a side load and vertical load. There is no penetration test.

If there was, the Mercedes roll structure would no better or worse than a conventional roll hoop structure since the conventional design has little chord depth.
The Mercedes roll structure presents a similar surface area when in contact with the ground (it requires the correct dimentions to have sufficient strength to pass the vertical load!!) as a conventional structure will.

also the assumption that the airbox offers penetration resistance is flawed. The airbox fits inside the roll hoop on a conventional design. The reason the airboxes are placed there is so that the roll hoop is better integrated into the design and reduces the appendages blocking flow to the rear wing. The Mercedes design serves this function intelligently.

the roll hoop will not snap off if the loads experienced during an accident do not exceed that which the FIA rules deems realistic. I think Mercedes has done their home work on this design, far better than any armchair f1 designer....

The design is safe.

ringo

It should like like this no?

For Sure!!

WhiteBlue

From my review of team results and relative car odds the two following graphs apply to the W01.

In the constructors table there was quite a neat falling staircase picture of teams after China. Although the order has not changed we see a significant structural change at the front. In terms of results there are three top teams which are separated by very few points. The other five points scoring teams remain in the falling staircase formation.

In the car odds Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes have to take a massive hit compared to Red Bull which reflects the lightning qualifying pace the Bulls have shown in the dry. Mercedes have clearly fallen behind in both the constructors standing and the expectations. They cannot really claim a top team status any more.

Unless Mercedes get very lucky in Monaco and their Turkey upgrade is sensational they can pretty much can the 2010 season and turn to their 2011 challenger.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pandamasque

ringo wrote:It should like like this no?
The point was that the blade will dig into things more easily than the hoop.

ringo

Pandamasque wrote:
The point was that the blade will dig into things more easily than the hoop.
ok, i see. But i think the typical hoop would dig in as well, but more like a scooping action. The good thing is that anything that the car digs that deeply into, that material may be soft enough for the driver's head, :D or maybe the green line would be at the front edge of the monocoque giving the head more clearance. A soft soil wouldn't break the monocoque down to the steering roll hoop, so it may slide on the nose area over the front suspension.
car will probably dig in then roll over too.
For Sure!!

manchild
manchild

I've drawn the red on another pic. just like you did.

Red shows FIA theory, green shows reality. It is not the first time that FIA sticks to exiting rules without using logic. If someone gets injured or killed than they change the regs.

Someone wrote that even Brundle mentioned it on TV, so it's not just me and few other guys here. Anyone with video or quote of what he said?

segedunum
segedunum

WhiteBlue wrote:Image
:shock: For anyone who doesn't think packaging is important, they need only look at that. I think we can see why Mercedes were a good minute behind just looking at that and they have a very, very long way to go to catch up.