Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

bugref wrote: Your theory is very amazing with lots of technicality your good at explaining things, and defended well a car and its design, but sadly Mr. F1_eng, your technicality is pointless on me if the car your defending cannot make any impression that its fast, meaning your yapping there is pointless on me, because that car is slow.

now the fan part comes, How do we make it fast?
looking at the race it cant even chase down a longer wheelbase ferrari with a worn out tire and a williams car of Rubens Barrichelo.
the fact that they are using a shortwheelbase car they should be fast and capitallize that but it never happen they were still outpace by redbull,ferrari,renault.
Unless MGP will show Promising pace with that drooping nose i might believe you, but if that wont happen then your opinion with technicalities on F1 is a dope, in short your theory is also bullish on my point of view. and I will not be impressed with your elaboration on things. lets just say I am a practical man and I based things on results not theories. I dont buy that kind of product that is only a fruit of words alone.
So because the merc cant get pace it is the nose? an absolute load of rubbish, same like blaming an Vyron for the recession we are in because it consumes so much fuel. It is complete rubbish to say such thing when you can not prove it.

If we have to believe you, why did the Brawn became champions last year? their nose was even worse then...

You should really take a break from here and get your facts right, what you are stating is simply in one word rubbish and not even true(if the nose was the problem IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED in the B spec), so get your facts right and then come back instead of merc-nose hating
Thank you
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

czt
czt

bugref wrote: Unless MGP will show Promising pace with that drooping nose i might believe you
A droopy nose of the Brawn last year was good enough for a championship, with fundamentally similar aero regs...

I don't see the nose shape as something that will clearly differentiate a winning car from a losing one. The nose is likely to be able to produce a different aero characteristic when compared to a high nose, but looking at this in isolation doesn't tell the whole story. We don't know how else are they developing load around the car, it may well just be a product of Merc's development targets.

Aero development is like walking a high wire - inching yourself forward while maintaining balance. To look at it as simplistically as high nose good/droopy nose bad severely underestimates what is required to produce a stable aero platform for the car.

marcush.
marcush.

the Merc seems to be and remain what it is :the 4th best car in this championship,no matter which track they are on.
If it is something to do with the norrow tyre window of 2010 ,then Webbos crew has found out something now...and it worked in Barcelona as well as in MonteCarlo ,which tells me something is not matching up really ....I cannot and will not believe the same quirks with your tyres will at both places...

ringo

wesley123 wrote:
bugref wrote: Your theory is very amazing with lots of technicality your good at explaining things, and defended well a car and its design, but sadly Mr. F1_eng, your technicality is pointless on me if the car your defending cannot make any impression that its fast, meaning your yapping there is pointless on me, because that car is slow.

now the fan part comes, How do we make it fast?
looking at the race it cant even chase down a longer wheelbase ferrari with a worn out tire and a williams car of Rubens Barrichelo.
the fact that they are using a shortwheelbase car they should be fast and capitallize that but it never happen they were still outpace by redbull,ferrari,renault.
Unless MGP will show Promising pace with that drooping nose i might believe you, but if that wont happen then your opinion with technicalities on F1 is a dope, in short your theory is also bullish on my point of view. and I will not be impressed with your elaboration on things. lets just say I am a practical man and I based things on results not theories. I dont buy that kind of product that is only a fruit of words alone.
So because the merc cant get pace it is the nose? an absolute load of rubbish, same like blaming an Vyron for the recession we are in because it consumes so much fuel. It is complete rubbish to say such thing when you can not prove it.

If we have to believe you, why did the Brawn became champions last year? their nose was even worse then...

You should really take a break from here and get your facts right, what you are stating is simply in one word rubbish and not even true(if the nose was the problem IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED in the B spec), so get your facts right and then come back instead of merc-nose hating
Thank you
It's not just the nose, it's the whole region ahead of the steering wheel. It's very chunky, especially the rounded areas right above the splitter.
Their other problems are miniscule, such as wings, engine cover and may be at their peak of developement. Over half the downforce is made by the body. If the air upstream is not at the right conditions, the body down-force suffers.
If i were mercedes i would redesign the nose, just because it can be done. It's better than nothing. Not to say it's the heart of their problems, but it's an option.
For Sure!!

czt
czt

wesley123 wrote:(if the nose was the problem IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED in the B spec)
If you are referring to their recent update then no, they couldn't not have changed it (for a high nose anyway). The nose crash structure is a homologated item and as such fixed for the year. The might be able to stick non structural fairings on it, but the fundamental nose shape would be the same.

raymondu999

The nose isn't homologated. They can bring a new nose as long as it's been crash tested.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

raymondu999 wrote:The nose isn't homologated. They can bring a new nose as long as it's been crash tested.

Fully agree, RBR changed their nose last year, and other teams have gone from a low to high nose. What surprises me is that it would be quite easy to provide an altered nose, as it clips on to the tub, which is already high, so Mercedes must have a reason to stick with the drooping nose. Maybe it is just their different aerodynamic thinking.

czt
czt

raymondu999 wrote:The nose isn't homologated. They can bring a new nose as long as it's been crash tested.
No they can't. Chassis, and all safety structures are homolgated and can only be changed with dispensation from the FIA (as happened with the Virgin fuel tank saga)

czt
czt

gilgen wrote: Fully agree, RBR changed their nose last year
Unfortunately the teams are competing to this years regs!

Edit: See 28.7 of the sporting regs...

raymondu999

Don't know where to look for the regs, sorry... care to quote them here?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ggajic
ggajic

As we all are aware Monaco is not so much about aerodynamics, rather it is about mechanical grip. So I would say that RBR is probably mastered usage of this years Bridgstone tires to level others have to found quickly. Otherwise championship would end in much same way like last year but instead we will have RBR in solid lead.

Skinn3r55
Skinn3r55

raymondu999 wrote:Don't know where to look for the regs, sorry... care to quote them here?
You can find them on the FIA site, in the Sport/F1 section.

czt
czt

raymondu999 wrote:Don't know where to look for the regs, sorry... care to quote them here?
How can you state whether the nose is homologated or not, when you don't know where to find the regs?
FIA Sporting Regs wrote: 28.7 One specification of each of the following parts must be homologated prior to the first event of the championship season:
- survival cell;
- prinicpal and second roll structures;
- front, rear and side impact structures;
- front wheel;
- rear wheel.

Once homologated, changes to these parts will only be permitted for clear safety or reliability reasons following written approval from the FIA.
FIA Regs http://www.fia.com/EN-GB/SPORT/REGULATI ... nship.aspx

F1_eng
F1_eng

I wasn't defending the car, I was explaining the situation.

Did you not see Rosberg's times when he was in clear air? He was setting fastest laps.
Last edited by Steven on 19 May 2010, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

aral
aral

czt wrote:
How can you state whether the nose is homologated or not, when you don't know where to find the regs?
FIA Sporting Regs wrote: 28.7 One specification of each of the following parts must be homologated prior to the first event of the championship season:
- survival cell;
- prinicpal and second roll structures;
- front, rear and side impact structures;
- front wheel;
- rear wheel.

Once homologated, changes to these parts will only be permitted for clear safety or reliability reasons following written approval from the FIA.
FIA Regs http://www.fia.com/EN-GB/SPORT/REGULATI ... nship.aspx

Note in your list of homologated structures, there is NO mention of the nose cone. This is not a crash structure, but an add-on. The nose can be altered and if you look at some of the cars, you will see that several are running different nose cones, to those they started the year with.