Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

czt wrote:
wesley123 wrote:(if the nose was the problem IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED in the B spec)
If you are referring to their recent update then no, they couldn't not have changed it (for a high nose anyway). The nose crash structure is a homologated item and as such fixed for the year. The might be able to stick non structural fairings on it, but the fundamental nose shape would be the same.
The Nose can be changed, red bull did it last year too. There is a crash structure in the nose yep, that isnt allowed to be changed, the nose itself can.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

F1_eng wrote:bugref, I can't deal with a person like yourself. A person as stupid as yourself is impossible to reason with since you don't understand anything technical and this is a massive void for someone when trying to understand something. If you understood even the most basic technical level, I could then slowly develop ideas with you but you are too dumb for this. Another person who shouts and gets very vocal and upset because they don't understand something.

I wasn't defending the car, I was explaining the situation.

Did you not see Rosberg's times when he was in clear air? He was setting fastest laps.

unfortunatelly neither Rosberg nor Scumacher posted quickest race laps put were .388
and .767 seconds slower than Vettel.

wesley123
wesley123

Rosberg actually did, when the guys stopped in front of him he actually clocked the fastest race time for then.

F1_eng
F1_eng

Last edited by Steven on 19 May 2010, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

F1_eng
F1_eng

"Your theory is very amazing with lots of technicality your good at explaining things, and defended well a car and its design, but sadly Mr. F1_eng, your technicality is pointless on me if the car your defending cannot make any impression that its fast, meaning your yapping there is pointless on me, because that car is slow.

now the fan part comes, How do we make it fast?
looking at the race it cant even chase down a longer wheelbase ferrari with a worn out tire and a williams car of Rubens Barrichelo.
the fact that they are using a shortwheelbase car they should be fast and capitallize that but it never happen they were still outpace by redbull,ferrari,renault.
Unless MGP will show Promising pace with that drooping nose i might believe you, but if that wont happen then your opinion with technicalities on F1 is a dope, in short your theory is also bullish on my point of view. and I will not be impressed with your elaboration on things. lets just say I am a practical man and I based things on results not theories. I dont buy that kind of product that is only a fruit of words alone."

"unfortunatelly neither Rosberg nor Scumacher posted quickest race laps put were .388
and .767 seconds slower than Vettel."

Do you really think these kind of posts deserve repect? Really?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

You just dont get it do you? #-o

Oh well, best worry about real things like saving little bunnies from harm. :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

czt
czt

wesley123 wrote:
czt wrote:
wesley123 wrote:(if the nose was the problem IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED in the B spec)
If you are referring to their recent update then no, they couldn't not have changed it (for a high nose anyway). The nose crash structure is a homologated item and as such fixed for the year. The might be able to stick non structural fairings on it, but the fundamental nose shape would be the same.
The Nose can be changed, red bull did it last year too. There is a crash structure in the nose yep, that isnt allowed to be changed, the nose itself can.
LAST YEARS REGS ARE NOT THIS YEARS REGS!

Wesley/Gilgen:
The nose IS the crash structure (normally excluding a non structural tip - maybe 200mm long). This cannot be changed during the course of the season in this years regs. Non structural additions may be made to this, which accounts for the nose changes that have been seen this year but the fundamental shape cannot be altered. even if mercedes wanted to go high nose they wouldn't be allowed.

wesley123
wesley123

czt wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The Nose can be changed, red bull did it last year too. There is a crash structure in the nose yep, that isnt allowed to be changed, the nose itself can.
LAST YEARS REGS ARE NOT THIS YEARS REGS!

Wesley/Gilgen:
The nose IS the crash structure (normally excluding a non structural tip - maybe 200mm long). This cannot be changed during the course of the season in this years regs. Non structural additions may be made to this, which accounts for the nose changes that have been seen this year but the fundamental shape cannot be altered. even if mercedes wanted to go high nose they wouldn't be allowed.
I am very sure that it wasnt changed for this year...

czt
czt

It's highlighted in pink in the pdf as that section has changed from the previous revision.

It was changed for the purposes of cost cutting (to prevent B-spec cars where pretty much the whole car has been redesigned)

ringo

F1_eng wrote:I don't do anything accidentally.

Why do you say the I have "spilt the beans" one minute, then ask how I know there were a lot of noses tested?

How do you think nose shapes are evaluated, you have to test....nothing out of the ordinary.

I am not going to discuss in any more detail, but look at the central section of the wing. There is also the addition of more parts very close to this area, have a guess what they do!

Also what do you mean I am talking sense now?
Well i don't want to get back to the old arguments, but then, you were not saying anything concerning pressure distribution around the nose. You were just saying that my speculation was incorrect, when in fact it was not. The points you make now, are exactly what i said would remedy the nose, and that's what Mercedes did a couple races ago, even extended the vertical shielding further. So there must have been some concern for it's design.

About the nose, you gave the impression you know which distinct nose shapes were tested. This is why i asked you about what you know.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

F1_eng wrote:.....
Yes he was posting the fastest times at that point.He was also on soft tyres at this point .
so what do we learn from it ? the merc in rosbergs hands was quick on softs when everyone else was already on hard rubber? in his own words:

"Zunächst schonte ich heute meine Reifen und als ich freie Fahrt hatte, weil die Autos vor mir an den Boxen waren, konnte ich mehrere sehr schnelle Runden fahren."

so ,as he was held up by Barrichello ,he was able to nurse the soft tyres and was able to do some quick laps when he was in clean air...

I don´t get the point here.At the end with low fuel he was not posting quick times ,in fact he was not even close to schumaccher so he could not wring anything out of his later stop .the discussion of relative speeds during the race is useless ,especially in Montecarlo.
they blew it both in Q3 Nico and Michael and its sad to be shown how its done by Kubica ,who found himself a lot of laps without running in traffic.
But really I cannot stand the explanations just why things don´t happen and those what if theories.
I do like that move of Michael in the last corners though and I would love them to get atop of their unability to find the little window in which their silver arrows might operate at 100%.

vealio
vealio

Do you guys still have faith? Full F-Duct and another major aero package for Mercedes in Istanbul. Can they deliver this time?

PlatinumZealot

F1_eng wrote: the fact that they are using a shortwheelbase car they should be fast and capitallize that but it never happen they were still outpace by redbull,ferrari,renault.
People have been saying this all weekend, but ironically the Redbull is a very Long wheelbase car. I can understand a shorter car giving more space to move around the track though. But the effect of the wheelbase was very small.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wesley123
wesley123

and also it is kind of opposite of what you want at monaco, you want lot of weight on the back, guess what the LWB car did? The reason it wasnt run was simply because of the lack of parts.

vall
vall

vealio wrote:Do you guys still have faith? Full F-Duct and another major aero package for Mercedes in Istanbul. Can they deliver this time?
Hard to believe. In normal circumstances it is nearly impossible to find 1 sec. Last year was a clear exception because of the DDDs. McLaren for example managed to integrate it in the car nicely and got real big gains in performance, but this will be hard to repeat this year. Merc are too far behind.