Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bugref
bugref

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

F1_eng, my point is that rosberg is making fast laps but you dont have to refer your results in racing at all its not complete. go to f1.com its all there,
back to my point. look at the result there. merc car should have been good here with their shorwheelbase car but unfortunately, they are still 4th place, with webber,massa, and kubica ahead of Schumacher. how much more if they will be racing in an open circuit, I would not be surprise of Renault will be on their noses and maclaren will be up there ahead of them for sure.
Good luck on defending a car that has obviously has an issue in terms of aerodynamics.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

imightbewrong wrote: You recall wrong, it requires a crash test and they cannot change it.

Edit: If you don't trust me, at least trust Mike Gascoyne (at 2m53s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1xYrrDypI#t=2m53s
I'm gonna have to quote my self from the same thread. Watch the video. Read the regs. Understand: You are not allowed to change the nose cone.

F1_eng
F1_eng

n smikle, please don't quote me on what was already a quote from somewhere else.

They are not my words, I was quoting someone else.

marcush.
marcush.

for the next weeks I do not see them as potential winners on merit .The question is
surely more ,have they already given up on 2010 after the results of the last two races?
I think Ross Brawn had hinted at something they would need to switch their attention to next years car not too late ...so in effect big steps might only come if they can be used for 2011? would they build a new gearbox for half a season and yet build another one for the no DDD difusser regs? everyone bitches around about they come up with new designs every year.
Last edited by marcush. on 17 May 2010, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

czt
czt

imightbewrong wrote:
imightbewrong wrote: You recall wrong, it requires a crash test and they cannot change it.

I'm gonna have to quote my self from the same thread. Watch the video. Read the regs. Understand: You are not allowed to change the nose cone.
No, no, you can! Red Bull did it last year.....zzz! :roll: :D

aral
aral

wesley123 wrote:and also it is kind of opposite of what you want at monaco, you want lot of weight on the back, guess what the LWB car did? The reason it wasnt run was simply because of the lack of parts.

Mercedes had plenty of parts, but they elected to alter their car back to SWB, as it made turning on the sharp corners, easier. This was stated about six days ago.

marcush.
marcush.

gilgen wrote:
wesley123 wrote:and also it is kind of opposite of what you want at monaco, you want lot of weight on the back, guess what the LWB car did? The reason it wasnt run was simply because of the lack of parts.

Mercedes had plenty of parts, but they elected to alter their car back to SWB, as it made turning on the sharp corners, easier. This was stated about six days ago.
If so it is even more sad than it already looked like.. To me this looks more like ...the drawback of the SWB car is not that big if there is any in MC so lets stay with the already produced parts and try our best.. instead of :producing -how many Montecarlo specific wishbone sets ? I´d say at least 4 ,thats 16 wishbones ...or 12
and then the next guy also brushing the wall would have to revert to the SWB car..
If there was any benefit in it surely Schu would have opted to use the lWB car.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

czt wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:

No, no, you can! Red Bull did it last year.....zzz! :roll: :D
Thats fine under the 2009 rules, but under the 2010 rules they nosecone has to be homogated at a point before the season starts, the reason for this is for saftey purposes and the other more pressing point, cost cutting as one team in 2008 spent in the region of $35million designing a new nose mid season. The team was rumored to be Honda, but it could have been any team that season as all the teams did it.

This rule is the same for the rear and side crash structures, as well as the chassis. Its more needed for the chassis simply because of the cost of them, and if you take the fact some teams were going thrugh as many as 10 tubs a year, at a cost of arround $600,000 to manufacture just one, the math soon adds up.

Cost cutting is what the FIA are trying to get all the teams to do. Look at this years virgin, it costs much less than a Bugatti Veyron. So far im happy with the current cost cutting regime, i think it could go futher for some areas, but only if it frees up technichal regs. This is where the ballancing act comes in.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

ESPImperium wrote:
czt wrote: No, no, you can! Red Bull did it last year.....zzz! :roll: :D
Thats fine under the 2009 rules, but under the 2010 rules they nosecone has to be homogated at a point before the season starts... *SNIP*
Nice info, but just to be clear, czt was just making a joke based on other peoples invalid arguments earlier in the thread. :wink:

aral
aral

marcush. wrote:
gilgen wrote:

If so it is even more sad than it already looked like.. To me this looks more like ...the drawback of the SWB car is not that big if there is any in MC so lets stay with the already produced parts and try our best.. instead of :producing -how many Montecarlo specific wishbone sets ? I´d say at least 4 ,thats 16 wishbones ...or 12
and then the next guy also brushing the wall would have to revert to the SWB car..
If there was any benefit in it surely Schu would have opted to use the lWB car.

Mercedes would not have to make MC specific wishbones, as there would be plenty around from the swb car. More likely to have a scarcity of LWB wishbones, in view of the newness of the changes.

marcush.
marcush.

I´m not sure how things are communicated and handled in Merc.
But sure they will have discussed this matter very early on and decided on not doing a lwb Montcarlo set of wishbones.
If this was the correct decision ,we will possibly never know.
As for the weight distribution theme it seems odd to throw away potential there on the track that is traction more than anything else.

wesley123
wesley123

gilgen wrote:

And like also stated it doesnt matter at all. If the car has twice as long wheelbase with the B spec okay, then it would make a difference, but it isnt, it is just a general misconception as they can simply increase the turning circle to overcome this drawback.
In monaco you want balance to the rear to increase rear wheel traction, guess what it is what the LWB car does? Thats right, move the CofG backwards, then going back to the SWB car is simply stupid and completely opposite. The lack of rear balance cannot be overcome like the turning circle, so the onnly reason that makes sense to go back to the SWB car is because of part shortage.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

would you tell the world you have not the recources to build the parts needed ,because you opted to bring the lwb car in barcelona? or simply have not the recources 7money available to do this? No.
So it is called :SWB car is good for Montecarlo.
In fact Merc was beaten by longer and shorter cars in MC .And it did not matter which engine ,Renault ,Ferrari ,Mercedes so not much to add.

autogyro
autogyro

I understood that it was the LWB front suspension being not adaptable for the Monaco steering rack and rod assembly.

marcush.
marcush.

autogyro wrote:I understood that it was the LWB front suspension being not adaptable for the Monaco steering rack and rod assembly.
the position of the wishbone connection to the upright would indicate this.