Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ggajic
ggajic

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Ross Brawn says that Turkey will show their true pace. I believe that if they don`t finish well in next few races that Mercedes would probably focus on next year car. Mercedes GP is still analyzing data gathered from Spain and Monaco. I don't think that they can catch Red Bull, but might fight with Ferrari and McLaren..

marcush.
marcush.

Schumacher hinted at it a while ago when he said:

die hoffnung stirbt zuletzt....the hope dies last (google translator...not sure if this is a good translation...in german it basically hints at being aware that all is lost already in your view but one still hopes for a wonder to apear out of the blue so you are soldiering on ..)

No wonders in sight for Mercedes in 2010 yet.

ggajic
ggajic

Three victories in a row would give Schumi lets say 97 points, which if we assume that others don`t do well would bring him back into run for title. But I still don`t see how Mercedes is going to find 1 sec to be at same level as Red Bull. I understand that Red Bull did some radical stuff this year, like pull-rod suspension, blown rear diffuser with exhaust pipe, probably have car with lowest center of gravity and superior suspension compared to others. What bothers me is that race after race I don`t see Mercedes GP being able to qualify at least on a second row of the grid. But I do hope that they will find way in Turkey - lighter parts - more options for balast to play with..

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

My opinion is that a F-Duct and some lightweight parts won't give them 1 sec. They have to update the Frontwing like Renault did, the Rearwing like McLaren is doing and the Diffusor like everybody else besides Mercedes is doing, then they might have a chance to gain some time.

wesley123
wesley123

Ganxxta wrote:My opinion is that a F-Duct and some lightweight parts won't give them 1 sec. They have to update the Frontwing like Renault did, the Rearwing like McLaren is doing and the Diffusor like everybody else besides Mercedes is doing, then they might have a chance to gain some time.
that is also something you just assume.

The idea goes, dont fix anything that isnt broken. It might not look as complicated as others, but does that mean it isnt that good as others?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

wesley123 wrote: It might not look as complicated as others, but does that mean it isnt that good as others?
Well, if its as good as others then why are they so slow? :D

raymondu999

I read the other time an article by Mark Hughes. He said that development of the F10 as well as the RB6 was done by focusing on optimising airflow around the chassis. This then meant that upgrades could come easier and they'd know sooner if updates would work as they understand the airflow so well.

But the W01 and the MP4-25, he said, seemed to be basic chassis pieces, but with main development going on (aero-wise) in the wings and diffuser to just kind of "bolt on" downforce. He reckoned that this way, the W01 and MP4-25 actually didn't have much potential for development. Judging from how similar the wings/diffuser look from last year, could it be the case that they've kind of "peaked" in terms of the car's potential?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

raymondu999 wrote:I read the other time an article by Mark Hughes. He said that development of the F10 as well as the RB6 was done by focusing on optimising airflow around the chassis. This then meant that upgrades could come easier and they'd know sooner if updates would work as they understand the airflow so well.

But the W01 and the MP4-25, he said, seemed to be basic chassis pieces, but with main development going on (aero-wise) in the wings and diffuser to just kind of "bolt on" downforce. He reckoned that this way, the W01 and MP4-25 actually didn't have much potential for development. Judging from how similar the wings/diffuser look from last year, could it be the case that they've kind of "peaked" in terms of the car's potential?
Funny that W01 and MP4-25 had a lot of things going on in the body shape area already...and not much going on inthe wings and diffusser area..

To me generealisations are never going to give a proper answer there.

To solve a problem -lack of performance in Q3 ,elapsed time in Race- you first have to analyse and pinpoint the reasons for your underperforming.If it were as simple as stick on the RedBull front wing ...or difusser ...I´m sure it would have happened already.or would they not at least have a quick check in CFD what all these things on the RB6 will do? Maybe they all fell in the trap of looking too much on the wrong cars...F-ducts are fancy ...but noone copied the exhaust treatment of the RB not even Toro rosso...
Renault was the one team not to copy but developing their hack into a creditable peice of kit in a very short period...by concentrating on new ideas enhancing their downforce producing aerosurfaces .

bugref
bugref

I am not being sarcastic here, but if ever mercedes can win a Race it might be possible, but It will happen if it rains. or RB,ferrari, maclaren will a a reliablity issues, and its pretty alarming for mercedes that Renault is getting faster every race. Renault had showed it in every qualifying session.
but on a head to head comparison at the time sheet they do need a lot of work to do. Hopefully they learn a lot from this design and work on a different and drastic changes next year, they needed that. Its pity that they cannot use the best out of its powerful engine.

WhiteBlue

The W01 has obviously started his life with a serious design flaw and isn't backed by resources on a comparable level as the three competitors ahead of him. There is one last chance for a miracle which opens up ten days from now in Turkey. If that does not work the pressure from Mercedes will leave Brawn no chance but to throw all resources behind the W02 and the 2011 campaign.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.
marcush.

Is it a recource shortage really?
How do we explain Renault banging out parts at an alarming rate and moving forward
in the grid with if at all comparable recources?

I think could be a basic lack of understanding just where the dog is really buried or maybe there is no real option to get it out of the current concept and so you try to do workarounds..but these are compromised.

Obviously they see not much to be gained in new frontwing/endplate designs/iterations or rear wings (apart from f-duct)...or is it just a lack of ideas
that produce advances?

To me it looks like they are working in the wrong area of the car...looking for a second per lap ,but the net benefit of the latest update looked more like a tenth or two and helped equalizing the performance of the two drivers ?

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:The W01 has obviously started his life with a serious design flaw and isn't backed by resources on a comparable level as the three competitors ahead of him. There is one last chance for a miracle which opens up ten days from now in Turkey. If that does not work the pressure from Mercedes will leave Brawn no chance but to throw all resources behind the W02 and the 2011 campaign.
The bad thing is that one can't be sure there would be 2011 campaign.
I heard rumours that Zetsche needs at least one win this season to justify its expenses for the board.

marcush.
marcush.

they would not buy a team to drop out at the end of the first year ,would they?
I´m sure ross would do the second buyout for 1$ in 2 years without hesitating..maybe to do the double..new team WC.. :mrgreen:...just imagine..this would shade all achievements by Newey or Barnard etc by a long way...

timbo
timbo

marcush. wrote:they would not buy a team to drop out at the end of the first year ,would they?
How can you be sure? Toyota signed Concorde only to withdraw in a couple of months.

WhiteBlue

timbo wrote:
marcush. wrote:they would not buy a team to drop out at the end of the first year ,would they?
How can you be sure? Toyota signed Concorde only to withdraw in a couple of months.
After the BMW story I would not bet on anything the manufacturers do in F1. I thought it was pretty unreasonable to do two attempts at F1, with the second one obviously quite successful and costs coming down considerably and then they walk away from it but having to pay Sauber some 80 mil € to keep the team running. They should have simply told Theissen to run the team so lean to have it cost neutral for a while and sort out their RIFing.

If Mercedes eff this works team up as well I'll loose my faith in reason. The way Merc is pulling in sponsorship for the team they are going to make money with it pretty soon.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)