Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

timbo wrote:
marcush. wrote:they would not buy a team to drop out at the end of the first year ,would they?
How can you be sure? Toyota signed Concorde only to withdraw in a couple of months.
I´m not sure...anything can happen ,as we saw with Toyota ...but hey they tried a few years before throwing the towel...

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

It seems like this team spent all of it's money/resources to bring back Schumy. The car itself isn't much of a stretch from the Brawn car last year. Nothing new here really, except for that new intake which was a bit of a yawn.

But F1 is a business and I'm sure Mercedes is looking to at least break even first year. It's already been good PR for the firm.

Morteza

I read sth about what Zetsche said about quitting F1 before the start of the season. But believe me if they're going to leave F1 next season, it will be sth very odd. It's Mercedes we're talking about with a great history in motorsport. I think they will stay until they get the best results. Leaving F1 after only an unsuccessful season is not acceptable :D
I agree with Marcush about the car, it seems they don't know what they are adding to the car! What the problem is is still unknown to them or maybe it's sth they know but they can't solve!
We have to wait until Turkey to see with what they will come up :mrgreen: A step forward I hope
Last edited by Morteza on 20 May 2010, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marcush.
marcush.

again...you goz 300head count ,a windchannel,CAD stations ,a windtunnel model everything in place..
so please where is the bottleneck to develop new parts ?

energy supply to the workstations or the tunnel fan ,perhaps? If they got the inhouse competence it is a matter of some basic materials you will have to buy ,ok thats also money but the big chunk will be the working hours but you have to do the payrolls anyways...only thing you can have a look into is all those contract type workers ...and I doubt this would make a big difference..

aral
aral

Whiteblue. Just a question. Why do you show an Auto Union on your header, if you come from Bavaria???

This thread is all very mixed up, but I think the problem is that Mercedes were not getting their way with Mclaren, and decided to look around. They knew Brawns reputation, and saw how he exploited a loophole last year, to provide a seriously dominant car. They decided to back him and install Schumacher, with whom they had an agreement. Unfortunately the brains behind the DD, Jorge Zander, had jumped ship, and Brawn was not able to deliver a competitive car for 2010.
Mercedes are used to getting their way, no matter what, so it is fully within the bounds of possibility, that they could pull out, if not immediately successful.
They are only allowed a minimal time in the wind tunnel, and that with scale models only, so, with their tight budget, they really have a problem. This was evidenced by the fact that they designed their 2010 car, around their 2009 aero set-up, and despite many statements that they had fantastic aero updates, including wings, super diffusers etc, little has appeared. Other teams, including the cash strapped teams seem to be able to improve, so why not Mercedes.
There is obviously a deep rooted problem in the team. It is possibly a conflict between Mercedes and Brawn.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

gilgen wrote:Whiteblue. Just a question. Why do you show an Auto Union on your header, if you come from Bavaria???

This thread is all very mixed up, but I think the problem is that Mercedes were not getting their way with Mclaren, and decided to look around. They knew Brawns reputation, and saw how he exploited a loophole last year, to provide a seriously dominant car. They decided to back him and install Schumacher, with whom they had an agreement. Unfortunately the brains behind the DD, Jorge Zander, had jumped ship, and Brawn was not able to deliver a competitive car for 2010.
Mercedes are used to getting their way, no matter what, so it is fully within the bounds of possibility, that they could pull out, if not immediately successful.
They are only allowed a minimal time in the wind tunnel, and that with scale models only, so, with their tight budget, they really have a problem. This was evidenced by the fact that they designed their 2010 car, around their 2009 aero set-up, and despite many statements that they had fantastic aero updates, including wings, super diffusers etc, little has appeared. Other teams, including the cash strapped teams seem to be able to improve, so why not Mercedes.
There is obviously a deep rooted problem in the team. It is possibly a conflict between Mercedes and Brawn.

The car was on the drawing board well before Mercedes take over. Could it be they didnt have enough money to continue with EXTENSIVE development?
The idea that there is conflict in the team because of a car that was designed last year really is weak.
Mercedes saved this team from going under. Brawn himself has said that 2010 was an "unknown", of course bernie could always dip into his pocket to bankroll them but for how long?

Secondly, Jorg Zander was part of a team. He tos and fros from Williams to BMW to Brawn. There is no record that he is wholly responsible for the DD design. And if he is, so bloody what? Toyota and Williams had one too! Brawn was quick for other reason too, not just a DD.
Adrian Newey he is not, which explains why he isnt currently active in F1 after almost a year out.
Wait till next year to see what effects the Mercedes money and involvement has, before concoting these notions. Lest we forget this venture is only 6 months old :roll:
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 21 May 2010, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments. Keep it mature guys and gals.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Kind of makes you wonder if the W02 would take on a completely new direction, wouldn't it? :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
gilgen wrote:Whiteblue. Just a question. Why do you show an Auto Union on your header, if you come from Bavaria???

Sorry to say, but thats utter rubbish.

The car was on the drawing board well before Mercedes take over. Could it be they didnt have enough money to continue with EXTENSIVE development?
The idea that there is conflict in the team because of a car that was designed last year really is weak.
Mercedes saved this team from going under. Brawn himself has said that 2010 was an "unknown", of course bernie could always dip into his pocket to bankroll them but for how long?

Secondly, Jorg Zander was part of a team. He tos and fros from Williams to BMW to Brawn. There is no record that he is wholly responsible for the DD design. And if he is, so bloody what? Toyota and Williams had one too! Brawn was quick for other reason too, not just a DD.
Adrian Newey he is not, which explains why he isnt currently active in F1 after almost a year out.
Wait till next year to see what effects the Mercedes money and involvement has, before concoting these notions. Lest we forget this venture is only 6 months old :roll:

Wow, what did I say to warrant that???? Mercedes were talking to Brawn midway through last season, at the same time that they were lining Schumacher up for the drive. Last June , in fact.
Zander is, as you say, part of a team, but he was the most important left. Once he left in mid season, Brawn came to a stop. Zander was able to produce a better DD than Toyota or Williams, that is why his importance to the team was vital.
"Wait till next year". That is what was said last year!
It is nice to know that one cannot have an opinion. Thanks for telling me!

strad

Brawn was quick for other reason too, not just a DD.
Yeah,,,In my opinion it's cause Brawn was cheating and witn Mercedes oversite and morality,he can't this year and their performance shows it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JohnsonsEvilTwin

gilgen wrote: Wow, what did I say to warrant that???? Mercedes were talking to Brawn midway through last season, at the same time that they were lining Schumacher up for the drive. Last June , in fact.
Zander is, as you say, part of a team, but he was the most important left. Once he left in mid season, Brawn came to a stop. Zander was able to produce a better DD than Toyota or Williams, that is why his importance to the team was vital.
"Wait till next year". That is what was said last year!
It is nice to know that one cannot have an opinion. Thanks for telling me!
And if Zander was so important, why has no one picked him up?

Do you really think Brawn would say to the guy "you have 2 years left with us, and are the new genius of F1. But if you want to leave its fine?"
Come on man...get real!
And Since when did Mercedes money reach Brawn? NOVEMBER! not June!

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 21 May 2010, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unneccessary and off topic comments.
David Purley

segedunum
segedunum

gilgen wrote:Brawn was quick for other reason too, not just a DD.
Yes, Frank Dernie's front wing, which was arguably worth more than the double diffuser.

aral
aral

segedunum wrote:
gilgen wrote:Brawn was quick for other reason too, not just a DD.
Yes, Frank Dernie's front wing, which was arguably worth more than the double diffuser.
The quote that you have attributed to me, was not written by me. Where did it come from?

In relation to Mercedes, I said that they were in discussions with Brawn and Schumacher, in June. They were, but the deal may not have been consumated until later.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 20 May 2010, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unneccessary and off topic comments in response to another already edited post.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 21 May 2010, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This whole post was unwarranted, It should serve as an example of what not to post.
David Purley

WhiteBlue

gilgen wrote:Whiteblue. Just a question. Why do you show an Auto Union on your header, if you come from Bavaria?
1. I'm a big Rosemeyer fan, as my dad was.

2. I live in Munich.

3. The home of Audi/Auto Union/NSU/Wanderer/Horch is now in Ingolstadt, Bavaria just 70 km from my door step.

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

WhiteBlue wrote:
1. I'm a big Rosemeyer fan, as my dad was.

2. I live in Munich.

3. The home of Audi/Auto Union/NSU/Wanderer/Horch is now in Ingolstadt, Bavaria just 70 km from my door step.
Are BMW parts a dime a dozen there? lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028