Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

I think all us Mercedes fans realise 2010 is a "teething" year now. What needs to happen between now and Bahrain 2011 is total focus on next years car.
They need to look at what makes Red Bull quick and adopt this idealogy becuase its very clear that concentrating on the diffuser loop hole and trying to refine it further was a big mistake.

Red Bull pushed the game on, now its time for Mercedes and the rest to learn this lesson and make sure they are ready next year.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Actually knowing Brawn he probably has started working on the car for 2011 or perhaps even 2012. He saw what a 2-year lead time could do with the crew he has in 2007-2008 building up to 2009
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

I can't imagine that they are already working for 2012, they barely know the rules for next year and for 2012 they could change everything again, like tyre supplier or rim size etc... This has to be considered in the basic design of a car.

wesley123
wesley123

Ganxxta wrote:I can't imagine that they are already working for 2012, they barely know the rules for next year and for 2012 they could change everything again, like tyre supplier or rim size etc... This has to be considered in the basic design of a car.
basic design philosophies, like where do you want to go with your car, max efficiency, max downforce, as low CofG as possible, etc etc.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zgred

PlatinumZealot

Very sneaky.. but didn't they learn from mclaren? The holes need to be raised from the surface for best results.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bugref
bugref

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I think all us Mercedes fans realise 2010 is a "teething" year now. What needs to happen between now and Bahrain 2011 is total focus on next years car.
They need to look at what makes Red Bull quick and adopt this idealogy becuase its very clear that concentrating on the diffuser loop hole and trying to refine it further was a big mistake.

Red Bull pushed the game on, now its time for Mercedes and the rest to learn this lesson and make sure they are ready next year.
I agree with your opinion, its the end for this car they really need to change their design totally make a new car without basing their concept on the W01 car, I am sorry to tell but this car has already reach its limit, there is no point upgrading this car since it had suffer a number of aerodynamics issues, they might as well make the redbull car as their base for the 2011 car.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

zgred wrote:Image

These pictures actually inspire me with confidence. Only Mercedes and Ferrari have managed to copy Mclaren.....
More could have been done.
David Purley

vealio
vealio

I have to say sorry.
They made a step, the car looked quite good at the onboard vids today

WhiteBlue

Yeah, Merc are only 0.5 s away from the top and have managed to catch Ferrari on this kind of track. The problem is that it is too late in the year to catch up with the leaders, but they may manage to take P3 or P2 in the constructors. I don't believe they have decent chances for the WDC. Their experienced driver - Schumacher - is too far behind and Rosberg would need a better car to fight at the front consistently. He will also make some mistakes IMO simply due to lack of experience if he were suddenly in a position to fight for the title.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

siskue2005

n smikle wrote:Very sneaky.. but didn't they learn from mclaren? The holes need to be raised from the surface for best results.
what exactly are you talking, please explain :)

vealio
vealio

Top speed seems to be a huge problem.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

Does this car really have so much drag or is that passive Duct system really that bad?

Timstr
Timstr

Updated diffuser with much larger exit is where the extra speed this weekend is coming from:

Tim.Wright

Timstr wrote:Updated diffuser with much larger exit is where the extra speed this weekend is coming from:
if only it was that simple
Not the engineer at Force India

Timstr
Timstr

I'm not saying it's simple. I'm just saying they've got a revised diffuser and they seem to have made up some ground on the teams ahead of them.