Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I've heard that McLaren have a new front wing, but can't really browse for pics whilst I am in work.

Anyone know of any pics?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

chasefreak
chasefreak

chasefreak
chasefreak

and it also looks like they used that flow wiz again.. look to the left of front wing.. u will see some on the tire too

forty-two

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Could this perhaps be some sort of ride-height device which isnt a ride-height device?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Sorry to be a nag, but...
wesley123 wrote:Actually it is said everywhere.
Your assertion above doesn't convince me of anything.
wesley123 wrote:Hamilton said it multiple times already this year ...
Did he? When, where and to whom? Do you have a link to back this up?
wesley123 wrote:...and it is just a fact,"
Surely you can do better that that? With all due respect, you've already stated that "it's said everywhere", saying "it is just a fact" carries no more weight, so why re-assert the same OPINION?
wesley123 wrote:... it was actually discussed in this thread recently
Now we're getting somewhere! Perhaps you could give us a clue as to which page it was discussed on? Either way, because someone on this forum may have postulated that the car is lacking downforce, that really is not enough to convince me that this is actually the case.

I'm not disagreeing with you per-se, you might well be right. I am merely pointing out that when making statements like that, it's only reasonable to have some quotable information to back up this claim.

Sorry if I came accross as pedantic....

zgred

Intego

BreezyRacer wrote:(I'm tired of the stupid F duct name).
MCL call it the RW80. It got its name f-duct, because the snorkel is mounted on the red 'f' of the upper monocoque Vodafone branding. Or how about f'ing duct, like RB called it. :mrgreen:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

forty-two

Cool picture ZGRED, I don't think I've ever actually seen a ballast weight from an F1 car before (if indeed that's what we're seeing there?).

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

forty-two wrote:Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Could this perhaps be some sort of ride-height device which isnt a ride-height device?
It is indeed a ride height adjusting tool, and the method which almost all teams use to insert shims in this area to lengthen the push rods to make the adjustment. No magic here ..

zgred

forty-two wrote:Cool picture ZGRED, I don't think I've ever actually seen a ballast weight from an F1 car before (if indeed that's what we're seeing there?).
I guess it is ballast. I have seen also nice picture of HRT wing with ballast plates at Scrabs blog: Front Wing Ballast.

ringo

Mclaren have been using straight wings since the other day, i wonder why they scrapped the dihedral wing?
If they really need wing down-force, they should do what lotus ad FI are doing. It looks desperate but it works.

A little winglet above the bridge wing.
For Sure!!

astracrazy
astracrazy

new front wing endplates

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:Mclaren have been using straight wings since the other day, i wonder why they scrapped the dihedral wing?
If they really need wing down-force, they should do what lotus ad FI are doing. It looks desperate but it works.

A little winglet above the bridge wing.
I can actually think of that screwing up the F-Duct . Also an Lotus style wing would be useful, due to the Fduct they have a really tiny wing on it, that wont help downforce at all and only adds drag.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Is it me or is the rear wing / f-duct on the Mclaren alot fatter than the Ferrari / Redbull etc?? It just seems alot more round and fatter? Surely the other teams must be happy with the amount of air they are getting to feed to the rear wing, so why are McLaren needing to have a tube two times bigger?

thestig84
thestig84

forty-two wrote:Sorry to be a nag, but...
wesley123 wrote:Actually it is said everywhere.
Your assertion above doesn't convince me of anything.
wesley123 wrote:Hamilton said it multiple times already this year ...
Did he? When, where and to whom? Do you have a link to back this up?

Sorry if I came accross as pedantic....
You do a little. Fair enough when its a rumour or brand new news but if you have read any post race interview with Hamilton since the start of the year then you would have heard the constant bemoaning his lack of downforce

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mclare ... =firefox-a