COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: US GP 2012 - Austin Texas

Pandamasque wrote:Breaking news: The Tilke-designed circuit map has leaked!

El Passo hairpin and the Houston chicane will definitely be the places for overtaking.
:mrgreen: :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

donskar wrote:
Just in case anyone takes the two posts above seriously . . . BS.

I've lived in Texas about 14 years (who's counting?). My job puts me in contact with a broad range of Texans every day. Other than police/security personnel, I have NEVER met a Texan carrying a gun. F1bigotry.net?
Texas does have a high percentage of CCW holders. I was joking about every one packing heat though. Some were you probably just didn't notice.

ISLAMATRON

flynfrog wrote:
donskar wrote:

I've lived in Texas about 14 years (who's counting?). My job puts me in contact with a broad range of Texans every day. Other than police/security personnel, I have NEVER met a Texan carrying a gun. F1bigotry.net?
Texas does have a high percentage of CCW holders. I was joking about every one packing heat though. Some were you probably just didn't notice.
I was NOT joking 1 bit, I've only been to texas a couple times but just like everywhere else I've been in the US(except for Hawaii) there were plenty of people with handguns. Only spent time in S.A. & Dallas but there were several occasions when I noticed people carrying.... of course I didnt stop to ask them if they were police/security.

In NYC, D.C., Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta L.A., Indy and even laid back San Diego I've seen people carrying legally and illegal... but then again I probly go to the parts of cities that most of you make a point of avoiding.

donskar
donskar

ISLAMATRON wrote:
flynfrog wrote:
donskar wrote:

I was NOT joking 1 bit, I've only been to texas a couple times but just like everywhere else I've been in the US(except for Hawaii) there were plenty of people with handguns. Only spent time in S.A. & Dallas but there were several occasions when I noticed people carrying.... of course I didnt stop to ask them if they were police/security.
Well, that establishes the validity of your opinion.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/05/28/bern ... nt-to-see/?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83928

The main take aways are:

- Hellman bought an option on the land three years ago
- track has prime location close to airport and interstate in hilly terrain
- total budget for the track and venue to be 200 mil$
- permits are all sorted out
- Tilke is busy for some time with the master plan, so dead line sounds feasible
- the plan for Austin is a high speed track similar to Turkey and Silverstone
- finance for the Austin track has been secure for some time

This looks like a no brainer to me. Bernie is probably much deeper involved as his confidence in Hellmann indicates. He is pulling all the strings. The big difference to the Indianapolis venture is the tax payer's cash of 250 mil $ which is contracted to the 10 year Austin race deal. This makes the finance of 200 mil$ up front much easier.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sean H
Sean H

I went to every Indy GP, enjoyed them okay, even the tire debacle one. I will really enjoy seeing a proper F1 track though in the midwest. Hopefully it is an early spring or late fall race, anything from june to september will be miserable.

Texas has a big open wheel following, after Indy, it is the IRL's biggest attendance track. Usually around 100k.

and yes, Texas has a large amount of CCW permits. Doesn't mean they are always packing old west style though. I have a CCW permit for Missouri, haven't carried once yet in 4 years of having the permit.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

xpensive
xpensive

flynfrog wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
xpensive wrote:What are you guys talking about anyway, Austin is way south of the Mason-Dixon line? As if anyone of guys would have any idea of what that means... :lol:
I know exactly what that means, so if I go there I'll definatly be packing heat.
so will every one else its Texas

Austin is a great city. I spent some time there a few years ago.
When living in PA,I visited Houston on business a couple of times. Going to restaurants, I often noticed signs indicating "No guns allowed in the bar".

Which only goes to show that Texans are very civilized.

Btw, if Austin goes ahead, perhaps Ken Anderson will get another chance? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pandamasque

xpensive wrote:Btw, if Austin goes ahead, perhaps Ken Anderson will get another chance? :lol:
How? Open a high tech toasting facility there? Wait. Or rather 'state-of-the-art' #-o

xpensive
xpensive

Pandamasque wrote:
xpensive wrote:Btw, if Austin goes ahead, perhaps Ken Anderson will get another chance? :lol:
How? Open a high tech toasting facility there? Wait. Or rather 'state-of-the-art' #-o
No, but a toster "skunk-works"! :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

If Ken Anderson or Peter Windsor are involved, it'll have been 5 years in the planning! :lol:

strad

they will want to tie it to Canada,,you know June,,temps in the 90s with 90+% humidity..But hey I'm sure the luxury boxes will have air conditioning and it will still be better than Dallas or Phoenix..maybe. [-o<
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ecapox

strad wrote:they will want to tie it to Canada,,you know June,,temps in the 90s with 90+% humidity..But hey I'm sure the luxury boxes will have air conditioning and it will still be better than Dallas or Phoenix..maybe. [-o<
I read somewhere that Canada will be moved and that the last three races will be Canada, US, and Brazil. That would make sense logistically amd financially.

EDIT. This year's schedule should be...

Abu Dhabi
Bahrain
China
Malaysia
Australia
Japan
Singapore
Korea
Turkey
Hungary
Belgium
Germany
Italy
Monaco
Spain
Europe
GB
Canada
Brazil

That makes it so they dont have to go back and forth all the dam time.

WhiteBlue

ecapox wrote:EDIT. This year's schedule should be...

Abu Dhabi
Bahrain
China
Malaysia
Australia
Japan
Singapore
Korea
Turkey
Hungary
Belgium
Germany
Italy
Monaco
Spain
Europe
GB
Canada
Brazil

That makes it so they dont have to go back and forth all the dam time.
That schedule would be a logistical nightmare. Teams love some fly aways with two races back to back in the same region. But then they need a break of two weeks or three if they have to do another fly away right behind that.

Professor
Professor

Might this be the site for the US GP Austin?

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/05/ ... -usgp.html

strad

Doubt it
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss