Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

edit.

siskue2005

vealio wrote:Top speed seems to be a huge problem.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

Does this car really have so much drag or is that passive Duct system really that bad?
It could also be their simple rear wing
They dont have any slot in the middle like the other teams, even Lotus has them
What the slot does it, it make the 2 element wing to 3 element one
So it is more efficient

Now they are running more angle of attack to reach a specified Downforce.... so ineffect they have more drag and low straight line speed

this could just be ONE OF THE REASONS for their poor straight line speed

zgred

According to formula1.com - Tyre pressures for a Mercedes GP.

siskue2005

what is L1 and L3?

zgred

Hard / soft?

Intego

Outlap/inlap?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

djones
djones

That speed really is slow in comparison to the other top teams. They are going to be so easy to overtake in the race :(

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Why the F-duct style openings if it isnt being used?
zgred wrote:

More could have been done.
David Purley

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Cooling openings for hydraulics/driver etc

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ganxxta wrote:Cooling openings for hydraulics/driver etc
I wouldnt have thought so, these openings look similar to the first McLaren Fduct prototypes. I think this is Mercedes F-duct evolution, it just appears to ummmm NOT WORK

Can hydraulics be cooled by this aperture?
More could have been done.
David Purley

megz

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:Cooling openings for hydraulics/driver etc
I wouldnt have thought so, these openings look similar to the first McLaren Fduct prototypes. I think this is Mercedes F-duct evolution, it just appears to ummmm NOT WORK

Can hydraulics be cooled by this aperture?
It doesn't work because there is no sharkfin engine cover featuring a tube to blow air into the rear wing. At all. They've never run one. It's almost certainly not for an F-Duct. No F-Duct so far has worked by blowing nothing at the rear wing but Mercedes are quite clever so maybe it can be done :roll:

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

They use at least one of this openings from the beginning of the season, so it must be some cooling device, I don't think that they are experimenting 7 races with them but don't try out the Shark fin.
megz wrote:Mercedes are quite clever so maybe it can be done :roll:
:roll: With their passive device they are 13kmh slower than the top cars in Istanbul... I really hoped at the beginning of the season that they would catch up, with (announced) new wings,diff etc... but now I think this season is lost and they should focus on the next one :(

bugref
bugref

vealio wrote:Top speed seems to be a huge problem.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

Does this car really have so much drag or is that passive Duct system really that bad?
I dont believe the passive F-duct and rear wing is the problem, but I might convince if you blame it on the drooping nose design and its front wing. with the powerful engine they have, one cannot understand whats wrong with W01 why was it among the slowest car on the grid.

thestig84
thestig84

siskue2005 wrote:what is L1 and L3?
Going by the slight rise in temps I would say L1 is lap 1 and L3 is lap 3.

autogyro
autogyro

With the limitations of the regulations preventing a sensible way to increase wheelbase, I cannot see the Wo1 getting to the front.
When the long wheelbase front hub modifications were brought in I wondered if mounting the wish bones towards the rear of the hub carriers would add to oversteer by reducing weight transfer onto the front tyres.
IMO the car is proving very difficult to set up because of this and because of a variable CoG brought on by a misplaced fuel tank in the original design.
Both drivers are doing rather well getting the times they are in the circumstances.