Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

jason.parker.86 wrote:Is it me or is the rear wing / f-duct on the Mclaren alot fatter than the Ferrari / Redbull etc?? It just seems alot more round and fatter? Surely the other teams must be happy with the amount of air they are getting to feed to the rear wing, so why are McLaren needing to have a tube two times bigger?
It is probably the way it is fitted and also the airbox itself is more earodynamicly shaped, it has a tear drop shape wich is alot cleaner compared to the other teams forms, wich doesnt took time to make the shape itslef more aerodynamic
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

A la Ferrari

fenix4life
fenix4life

Did anyone notice that during straight lines Lewis placed his left hand differently on the steering wheel. In stead of grabbing it at the top it kind of took it at the bottom.

Could it still be that their F-duct is not powered using the knee or maybe they changed?
This was not just once but almost during all straight lines even when they were short.

ringo

The car is much stronger, the f duct is working better, and the balance is better for both drivers.
It's only a matter of time till the car gets the right downforce. Watching it go through turn 8 in turkey, you can see the big difference between it and the redbull. Redbull went through flat out at some instances.
For Sure!!

Holm86

In this race the Mclarens was much closer to the Red bulls. But perhaps this track just suited the Mclarens better than previous tracks. I dont think this is the real picture and i still think Red Bull is quite a bit faster.

But i really noticed the Mclarens jumping alot on this track they must really have som firm suspension. Perhaps they could be somewhat faster if they could make the car more calm.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Definite noticed the car being upset more by the bumps than the RBR. A few time Lewis had a look down into turn 12 he probably ended up not braking as late since he was bouncing all over the place. Ride height system or not RBR was setup better to deal with the bumps than McLaren...

Really interesting race though to see the contrast between the 2 cars. McLaren does seem faster in slow corner with either traction, power or F-duct taking the drag out. While RBR was unstoppable in turn 8 and just pulls away in the middle of that long corner.

Lurk

Apparently at least the Renault can go through turn 8 flat out. But their engine don't manage to keep the speed and they have to downshift to have more power and keep the speed.
Kubica gave this advise to Petrov and french TV report this.

Red Bull must have a different gearbox ratio to do that.

ecapox

I must give the MP4/25 and the entire Mclaren Mercedes team credit. The development pace of this machine is a step above everyone else. RBR better be watching their rearview mirror.

timbo
timbo

ecapox wrote:I must give the MP4/25 and the entire Mclaren Mercedes team credit. The development pace of this machine is a step above everyone else. RBR better be watching their rearview mirror.
Still they're a bit behind in fast corners.
Although next race should work great for them.

marcush.
marcush.

clearly Turkey was a milestone for McLaren,as both cars were matching the speed as of the RedBulls pair from start to finish.
so looking back to 2009 they closed the gap much earlier, of course coming from a much worse starting point.

PlatinumZealot

Every else except Turn 8! It was like watching a Wil-e Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon the way Webber was pulling away from Hamilton going through turn 8. We need to find out what they are doing to achieve that! The Mclaren package just needs that thing to be complete.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

marcush.
marcush.

my view is the mac ways is not bad as with the topspeed advantage they are in a strong position in the race.
Of course it would be graet to match also all cornering speed but the mac philosophhy has its strong points.

MattF1
MattF1

n smikle wrote:Every else except Turn 8! It was like watching a Wil-e Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon the way Webber was pulling away from Hamilton going through turn 8. We need to find out what they are doing to achieve that! The Mclaren package just needs that thing to be complete.
Could the thing be to do with the suspension? The Red Bulls looked a lot less bouncy on the bumps at turn 12. This could be giving them better high speed stability over the bumps.

segedunum
segedunum

thestig84 wrote:Who said they need to copy it?? the RB the best car right now but if Mclaren can keep finding gains their own way it is better than wasting energy trying to copy concepts they may not fully grasp or work well on the 25
They're not going to find the downforce they need out of the 25. No one is right now. That's why people are frantically looking at the exhausts and asking where the time is coming from. McLaren and everyone else built their cars on the assumption that they would have the largest diffuser they could fit and they would find loopholes in the regulations to punch holes in it. That's what the 25 is based on. The RB6 has changed a lot of accepted thinking.
This is not the place to discuss the unsupported story of turning Vettel's engine up.
Given his speed relative to both Webber and Hamilton in a couple of laps then there's only one conclusion you can draw.

thestig84
thestig84

segedunum wrote:
MW reckons they are bringing average of 0.3-4 per race.
:shock: Total bollocks. If that was the case they would have overtaken Red Bull by now and they'd be gaining several seconds per season.
I got the quote slightly wrong it was Whitmarsh saying 0.2-0.3 Quote here http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84018

So your saying the team principle is talking absolute boll***s Fair enough you must have much better evidence to prove him wrong then. The shrinking gap to RedBull would support this.
Why would they have overtaken RedBull???? Do you think red bull have been standing still!?!? Im sure other teams are finding time meaning he is only claiming a small net gain on others, I cant see why that is "total boll***s"