Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mandrake
Mandrake

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

painkiller wrote:Some rear-wing-pictures would be intresting now that we know the f-duct is an active system...
I still cannot believe why one would choose such a complex system if a "simple" sharkfin would be more efficient (assuming it is in fact more efficient).

The only thing I could imagine is using a central pillar in the rear wing feeding their 90 degrees horn on the rear wing. The central pillar itself would then be feeded by the air coming from the front of the car...

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Mandrake wrote:
painkiller wrote:Some rear-wing-pictures would be intresting now that we know the f-duct is an active system...
I still cannot believe why one would choose such a complex system if a "simple" sharkfin would be more efficient (assuming it is in fact more efficient).

The only thing I could imagine is using a central pillar in the rear wing feeding their 90 degrees horn on the rear wing. The central pillar itself would then be feeded by the air coming from the front of the car...
First of all I have to admit that I was wrong about the openings, they are obviously not only for cooling...

But I also don't understand why they use something more complicated than the shark fin, I mean some teams used sharkfins even without F-Ducts, so it can't be so bad for aerodynamics, I just don't get it and their system doesn't seem to be so efficient as MCLs or even Ferraris :wtf:

Darknight
Darknight

Mandrake wrote:
quote]

It is because Brawn had a blown wing last year too. Take a close look at the Brawn end plates. You will see the air channels very very clearly.

nacho
nacho

There must be a limit on how small the input blow for the switch can be to be effective? Perhaps they are using fluidic switches in series. Having something small in the front to control another "switch" that gains more pressure nearer to the wing. I think this kind of a concept could make it easier to route the control holes.

autogyro
autogyro

The Merc uses air flow directly on the wing to provide the 'blow' IMO.
It is the fluidic control that routes up the wing supports. (I said this weeks ago and I was told they did not have one).
It reduces the packaging problem in the engine area and allows modifications to reduce drag.
Because the flow to the slot is limited and not focused from a scoop, the effect is much less than on other cars.

WhiteBlue

ggajic wrote:It is worth noting that now it is clear that it will be RedBull vs. McLaren. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes manages to catch up with them in the last third of season. However, car obviously suffers from lack of top speed. Michael couldn't keep up with Button although he made much better star. It is hard to believe that track temperature contributed so much to McLaren competitiveness.
The lap time difference was 0.5 s in qualifying to the Red Bulls but it was a full second in race trim at the Turkish GP. Mercedes clearly are out of the WCC race even if they manage to catch up with the pace of the leaders towards the end of the season. Ferrari are also very slow but have made hay when the sun was shining for them. If Ferrari remain in the current form Merc could end up third of the championship but I doubt that they can catch McLaren.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bjpower
bjpower

due to the low engine air intake is it possible a shark fin would not benefit the car as the reduced turbulence due to the lower air intakes?

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

That could be the answer =D>

Has anyone heard about new developments for Canada?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

bjpower wrote:due to the low engine air intake is it possible a shark fin would not benefit the car as the reduced turbulence due to the lower air intakes?
The fin does not actually do anything while the car is in a straight line regradless of the air intakes.
It becomes active when the car is in a turn, especially highspeed turns.
And the smaller the engine scoop the more efficient the wing, as it will produce more as it gets more exposed to the oncoming air.

Imagine looking at the car dead on.

Now imagine the car pointing a few degrees to the left or right.

The profile of the fin has increased. This helps with some downforce(miniscule) and also with airflow.
What makes it good for McLaren is the way it works with the f=duct if the tube goes straight onto the rear wing.

Mercedes, I feel, need a full on shark fin that spans all the way to the rear wing /if it is to have any chance of solving its downforce/drag problem at the moment.
To be 13.4 Km/h behind Mclaren with the same engine is piss poor.
They have had 3 months to work on the F-duct and were supposedly using a variant of it this weekend. Problem is Mercedes have made the wind flow turn 90 degrees twice(one up the one side ways before it reaches the staller).
This is highly inefficient and almost makes you wonder wether its worth the drag from the two scoops mounted either side of the tub.

I wait for Cananda, if it aint there then Mercedes should jack this year in.
More could have been done.
David Purley

aral
aral

bjpower wrote:due to the low engine air intake is it possible a shark fin would not benefit the car as the reduced turbulence due to the lower air intakes?
The shark fin would prevent turbulence migrating from one side to the other, thus directing more stable air to the rear wing. It would also have the benefit of reducing any yaw, at speed. A great benefit on long straights. But I just don't like them!

wesley123
wesley123

that is true, but getting the f-duct in that way actually just screws up the whole low airbox idea
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JohnsonsEvilTwin

wesley123 wrote:that is true, but getting the f-duct in that way actually just screws up the whole low airbox idea
Im sorry but how?

If they apply the same logic as Mclaren, the route the air travels does not have to follow the same as MClarens does it?
If it is a lower "twin airbox", whats stoppin Mercedes from using a gradually inclined shark fin??
Better than go 90 degrees twice eh?
David Purley

wesley123
wesley123

yep, but their low airbox just simply allows more air to the rear wing. They can go for an shark fin, but putting in an F-Duct would require an complete revamp, wich isnt worth it with the lacking pace. Next year it is banned thus such an drastic change is not worth it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JohnsonsEvilTwin

wesley123 wrote:yep, but their low airbox just simply allows more air to the rear wing. They can go for an shark fin, but putting in an F-Duct would require an complete revamp, wich isnt worth it with the lacking pace. Next year it is banned thus such an drastic change is not worth it.
Im not sure I agree.

Its entirely possible with their low and thin air box. If the air is channelled correctly it can work just as well if not better than Mclarens.
The tube has a lower need for air than the airbox....
David Purley

ggajic
ggajic

One of problems with Mercedes GP might also be rear end suspension. Has anyone noticed how Michael tried hard in formation lap to heat up tires? After start, there was replay from rear end camera view, his rear right was smooking, that is how much hot it has become. Now I know he did it on purpose, but it is also worth noticing - no matter how much people are pointing to the nose - remember that rear end is actually propelling car forward!