Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Poleman

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

segedunum wrote:
thestig84 wrote:Sorry 0.2-3 was what Whitmarsh claimed. I see no reason to not believe it http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84018
Errrr, I do. There's no way anyone is gaining that kind of time every race. It's a few tenths every few races - at best.

You have every right not to believe it but the history of the 7 races so far shows that McLaren are chopping some tenths in EVERY race.Thats a FACT.Even 0.1-0.2 doesnt really matter its still an improvement.

TheRMVR

I think this was an ideal circuit for McLaren, their F-duct showed some great advantages here as well as the Mercedes engine. But I don't think they can gain that every race. I reckon that in Valencia they'll be a lot slower again.

Halgovern
Halgovern

segedunum wrote: They're still a long way from finding the downforce that they need. They've managed to mitigate it on tracks with some straights but they can't stop Red Bull suddenly winning three or four races in a row. As soon as Red Bull get a few kph from their own F-duct, and they're not looking for it to be spectacular, there's little else McLaren can really do.
Total boll***s mate.
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

Hangaku

segedunum wrote: :shock: Total bollocks. If that was the case they would have overtaken Red Bull by now and they'd be gaining several seconds per season.
Did you forget that every other team are also making progress? Your statement only makes sense if you are trying to let us believe that RedBull aren't doing so :lol:

Also, grow up.
Yer.

marcush.
marcush.

to me those development steps are pure myth based on ...what?
With all those variables in place .track condition ,track temp,ambient temp ,setup,driver confidence,engine mileage and numerous additional variables we might be unaware of it seems to me quite difficult to quantify what is contributing more or most as reasons why teams are going forward or backwards .
the gap in FP3which is tradionally low fuel from 2009 to 2010 was under one second for the quickest time in Turkey ...how did it start last year?

Australia 1second quicker
Malaysia 2,5seconds quicker
China 1,2s quicker
Barcelona equal
montecarlo 2tenths quicker

we can conclude ,apart from Malaysia ,the gap was around 1 second on some tracks ,Barcelona and Montecarlo it was equal times ..

So who would care to lay out the influence of 15 kilo more weight and a bit narrower front wheels and different tyre construction /compoundsin terms of absolute lap time ,and we arrive at the performance gains made by development since last year.
Last edited by marcush. on 31 May 2010, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.

Lurk

Q:
How much has the R30 improved since the first race in Bahrain?

James Alllison:
With the latest developments we brought to the car for the Monaco weekend, by around three quarters of a second per lap.
Renault improves their car by 0.7s in 6 races. McLaren is a little bit more agressive than Renault. 1.0s improvement maybe...

shamikaze
shamikaze

McLaren (just like any other team), did not have major updates in the first 4 races simply due to them being fly-away races. They gathered critical reference-data there on where they are positioned in the field and in relative terms their strengths and weaknesses.

The "real" development race (ie brining developped updates to the car) starts as always when the European season starts in Barcelona. We've now had our third race on the continent and next one is another fly-away. As stated, the next biggest updates will arrive in Valencia. There we will haev another check-point as to where all the teams stand compared to each other and see if they have been able to keep their strengths and fortify their weaknesses.

I wouldn't expect much updates to come in Montreal, but do watch out for Valencia one.

segedunum
segedunum

Hangaku wrote:Did you forget that every other team are also making progress? Your statement only makes sense if you are trying to let us believe that RedBull aren't doing so :lol:
As you get closer to the front it gets ever harder to gain speed and time - the old 80/20 rule. That makes McLaren's confident proclamation that because they allegedly gained over two seconds during the course of last season then they can overhaul the deficit this season bollocks, because they're closer to the front now. Their car was so bad at the start of last season that they could easily make a lot of quick gains.
Also, grow up.
McLaren fanboi.
Uh, huh. :lol:

mith

I somehow can't believe that McLaren is getting faster every race by around 0.2s. 19*0.2s=3.8s. Given, they have improved by around 2s frantically developing their car last year, I can't imagine their development pace to be almost twice as fast now.

ringo

segedunum wrote:
Poleman wrote:You have every right not to believe it but the history of the 7 races so far shows that McLaren are chopping some tenths in EVERY race.Thats a FACT.Even 0.1-0.2 doesnt really matter its still an improvement.
It's a FACT - in capitals no less. How can one argue with that? :lol:

I'm afraid we'll need more than Martin Whitmarsh's confident proclamations. Unfortunately, these alleged gains turn out to be total crap because when you say 0.3 seconds what track is that based on? A 1 second gap at one circuit will be 0.5 at another, and it gets more complicated when you compare McLaren's times to their rivals because they gain speed and lap time relative via different methods. For example, in Turkey they didn't have the downforce or stability through turn 8 and their car was rather shockingly unstable under braking but they made up for that deficit. Try translating that to a different circuit.

If they're basing their predictions on that kind of logic then it's small wonder that Monaco came as a bit of a shock and Martin Whitmarsh refused to tell anyone how much lap time they'd gained there. :lol:
I think when whitmarsh speaks about tenths per lap, he is talking about whatever track they use to run their simulations on. Or it could even be an average for the gains over a range of tracks in the sim.
What we do know is that the car looks very promising after barcelona and turkey, especially sector 1 in turkey. I never expected the car to be so fast in that sector.
For Sure!!

Remote_Access
Remote_Access

segedunum wrote:
Poleman wrote:You have every right not to believe it but the history of the 7 races so far shows that McLaren are chopping some tenths in EVERY race.Thats a FACT.Even 0.1-0.2 doesnt really matter its still an improvement.

I'm afraid we'll need more than Martin Whitmarsh's confident proclamations. Unfortunately, these alleged gains turn out to be total crap because when you say 0.3 seconds what track is that based on? A 1 second gap at one circuit will be 0.5 at another, and it gets more complicated when you compare McLaren's times to their rivals because they gain speed and lap time relative via different methods. For example, in Turkey they didn't have the downforce or stability through turn 8 and their car was rather shockingly unstable under braking but they made up for that deficit. Try translating that to a different circuit.

If they're basing their predictions on that kind of logic then it's small wonder that Monaco came as a bit of a shock and Martin Whitmarsh refused to tell anyone how much lap time they'd gained there. :lol:
Does anyone know what this guy is even arguing anymore? Other than he hates Mclaren and loves Red Bull, is he actually making any point?

Seg, so far you have failed to make any of your predictions stick. You said Red Bull would run away this year - they haven't. You said Mclaren had no development in their car - they do. Now we face a clear situation where Mclaren is getting faster and Red Bull is facing significant internal turmoil which could derail its campaign.

Red Bull should be in an almost unbeatable position from the first third of this season and they are now no longer leading either championship. Martin Whitmarsh has therefore every reason to make confident proclamations - you do not. And for you to criticise him for his 'logic' is completely hypocritical in my view.

Poleman

Remote_Access wrote:
segedunum wrote:

Does anyone know what this guy is even arguing anymore? Other than he hates Mclaren and loves Red Bull, is he actually making any point?

Seg, so far you have failed to make any of your predictions stick. You said Red Bull would run away this year - they haven't. You said Mclaren had no development in their car - they do. Now we face a clear situation where Mclaren is getting faster and Red Bull is facing significant internal turmoil which could derail its campaign.

Red Bull should be in an almost unbeatable position from the first third of this season and they are now no longer leading either championship. Martin Whitmarsh has therefore every reason to make confident proclamations - you do not. And for you to criticise him for his 'logic' is completely hypocritical in my view.
They are still leading the WDC Remote...For how long thats another story.For the rest of your post...i cant agree more =D> Glad to hear from someone else the words i wanna speak.
As i posted on the Turkish GP thread,RB is a weak team with a strong car...They need to learn how to manage their team,or their rather (desperate i would say) drivers-call me Sebastian... =D> :lol:

On topic now...The MP4-25 on Istanbul park was absolutely brilliant...Apart from turn 8 the car was untouchable...Nice race pace and a rock solid front end.Red Bull still strong but the team is definately on the move and i hope they keep the momentum going. [-o<

Remote_Access
Remote_Access

You're right, my bad. But they're certainly not in the position they should be, or was predicted.

MikeFromCanada

mith wrote:I somehow can't believe that McLaren is getting faster every race by around 0.2s. 19*0.2s=3.8s. Given, they have improved by around 2s frantically developing their car last year, I can't imagine their development pace to be almost twice as fast now.
Again and again this quote is being either misread or misunderstood.

To quote Whitmarsh, again:
We speak to everyone in the company quite regularly and, if you are making 0.2-0.3 seconds improvement per race, although it doesn't sound enough, over four races that is one second.

"Red Bull won't stand still. They are a good organisation and we just have to make sure that we are improving at a faster rate than them.
0.2-0.3 seconds improvement per race, for the MP4-25. This is irrespective to any other car on the track, just in terms of the progression of the MP4-25. To spell it out even clearer, it is as if they were to say adding a newly developed front wing will provide the car with an improvement on their own lap time of 0.2 seconds. Red Bull may bring 0.2 seconds of improvement to a race, and thus McLarens development would not do anything but keep them at par to where they were prior.

Your argument of stating that McLaren would then have an overall improvement advantage of 3.8 seconds (compared to 2.5 last year) is RESPECTIVE to other cars on the track. Sure, they would experience a 3.8 second per lap increase if everyone in the field stood still and did not develop their cars, however that of course is not the case.

I'm not really sure why this concept seems so difficult to understand?

mith

MikeFromCanada wrote:
mith wrote:I somehow can't believe that McLaren is getting faster every race by around 0.2s. 19*0.2s=3.8s. Given, they have improved by around 2s frantically developing their car last year, I can't imagine their development pace to be almost twice as fast now.
Again and again this quote is being either misread or misunderstood.

To quote Whitmarsh, again:
We speak to everyone in the company quite regularly and, if you are making 0.2-0.3 seconds improvement per race, although it doesn't sound enough, over four races that is one second.

"Red Bull won't stand still. They are a good organisation and we just have to make sure that we are improving at a faster rate than them.
0.2-0.3 seconds improvement per race, for the MP4-25. This is irrespective to any other car on the track, just in terms of the progression of the MP4-25. To spell it out even clearer, it is as if they were to say adding a newly developed front wing will provide the car with an improvement on their own lap time of 0.2 seconds. Red Bull may bring 0.2 seconds of improvement to a race, and thus McLarens development would not do anything but keep them at par to where they were prior.

Your argument of stating that McLaren would then have an overall improvement advantage of 3.8 seconds (compared to 2.5 last year) is RESPECTIVE to other cars on the track. Sure, they would experience a 3.8 second per lap increase if everyone in the field stood still and did not develop their cars, however that of course is not the case.

I'm not really sure why this concept seems so difficult to understand?
I think you're the one, who misunderstood my statement. I never compared McLaren to any other car and it's obvious that every other team is developing as well. I was talking about gains over previous iterations of MP4/25. If they was faster of around 4 seconds over course of the season, we would see much better qualifying times on the same track year by year. I didn't saw anyone qualifying 4 second faster than last year's record.