COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: US GP 2012 - Austin Texas

andartop wrote:I like some of the Tilke tracks a lot, and it's true that they have given us quite some interesting races. Well, definitely more interesting than most Hungarian, Barcelona and Monaco GPs of yesteryear anyway..

However, I will never forgive him for agreeing to do what he did to Hockenheimring. Not his personal fault, I agree, but what a pity! If he's such a petrolhead he should have simply said no thanks, and let someone else do the crime!
I agree that Hockenheim was a real crime. Not only the track got mangled but also it cost a ton of money which the tax payer had to pay.

There is no point to blame Tilke though! Bernie blackmailed the poor sods into doing that. He said that they would loose the race like he did in Silverstone. Hockenheim had no means to defend like the BRDC had with all the British teams and to keep the race they gave in so that TV shows more sponsor badges. What a bloody mess Bernie does sometimes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

strad

I agree with Islam. Tilke is much better than his rep and the vast majority of fans are simply too brainwashed by Hermann's detractors to realize that.
As usual you are totally wrong. Yeah he relies on heavy braking..Just before the kink/turn that ruins the chance to overtake..Hate to be on the opposite side of the fence from Sir Stirling but in this he is also wrong.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Strad, who are you quoting? Please use the quote button on a users post so that others know who you are referring to.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

donskar
donskar

As the Indy 500 and the entire IndyCar series suggests, there IS a fan base for open wheel racing in the US. A successful US F1 race can only help multiple series in the US. There could be some real synergy here. (If only there was ANY US driver in F1)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Professor
Professor

donskar wrote:As the Indy 500 and the entire IndyCar series suggests, there IS a fan base for open wheel racing in the US. A successful US F1 race can only help multiple series in the US. There could be some real synergy here. (If only there was ANY US driver in F1)
The Indy GP was very well attended over the years and the average attendance was better than the average at most circuits on the calendar. I have been to F1 events at 6 venues, and the cheapest tickets were always at Indy.

donskar
donskar

Houston Chronicle reported this morning that Bernie's sanctioning fee is $25 million, to be paid from a Texas state fund established to encourage Texas cities to hold major sports events. The second year's fee is supposed to be paid out of the proceeds from the first race. (Assuming they clear $25 million from the first year?)

WhiteBlue

donskar wrote:Houston Chronicle reported this morning that Bernie's sanctioning fee is $25 million, to be paid from a Texas state fund established to encourage Texas cities to hold major sports events. The second year's fee is supposed to be paid out of the proceeds from the first race. (Assuming they clear $25 million from the first year?)
It seems to be unclear what the Texas state fund will pay under that contract but the initial assumption that they will pay 25 mil $ each year seems to be wide off the mark. If they also agreed to pay the deficit between the ticket revenues and the 25 mil $ fee they could easily be paying 10 mil $ per year.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar
donskar

I do not have the paper with me, but I believe the state fund pays the sanctioning fee for the first year only. The fund is meant to encourage new sporting events. Would make sense, then, that the fund pay out only for the first year of an event. It seems the fund and the fee are coincidentally the same -- $25 million. (Of course, nothing precludes state or city from coming up with more funds in the future. :wink: )

strad

The second year's fee is supposed to be paid out of the proceeds from the first race. (Assuming they clear $25 million from the first year?)
Well we know from experience that they won't show a profit for years if at all and $25mil is way cheap by Bernie's standards..I think it was $60 mil for INDY and the Midget wanted more.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

strad wrote: $25mil is way cheap by Bernie's standards..I think it was $60 mil for INDY and the Midget wanted more.
I think you are a long way away from the real number in that dispute. $ 60 mil is more than the Arabs and Malaysia pay now ($ 45.7 mil). You must have mixed something up.

Citations of Formula Money by F1fanatic.co.uk report that the average race fee in 2009 was $ 28 mil with an annual increase of 8.5 % per year. So in 2007 the average should have been $ 23.2 mil.

The USGP was always paying sub average as reported several times. So you can put the 2007 US fee somewhere between $ 15-18 mil. That would tie in with the news that Bernie wanted $10 mil more than on offer by Tony George. So the demand would have been $ 25-28 mil which really was an average price for F1 and exactly what he will be getting in Texas.

strad

Since he's looking to double Turkey to $26 mil you might be right..I cannot find the old article now, but I'd swear one of the sticking points with Tony George was that Bernie wanted to up what Indy forked out to $40 mil with it rising for future events.
It is being reported in Istanbul that Bernie Ecclestone has demanded a doubling of the annual charge to US$26 million if the Turkish Grand Prix is to remain on the calendar after the current deal expires in 2011
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

In looking back at old articles, the 60 mil came from 50 million to fix the place up plus 10 to Bernie for the first one and the price was doubling every year.
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:Since he's looking to double Turkey to $26 mil you might be right..I cannot find the old article now, but I'd swear one of the sticking points with Tony George was that Bernie wanted to up what Indy forked out to $40 mil with it rising for future events.
It is being reported in Istanbul that Bernie Ecclestone has demanded a doubling of the annual charge to US$26 million if the Turkish Grand Prix is to remain on the calendar after the current deal expires in 2011
This German source in June 2007 talked about Indy paying € 7.7 mil. That would be $ 10-12 mil by 2007 exchange rates. My take on this is the $ 90 mil that Tony George invested into the IMS upgrade for F1 lead to a very low fee in comparison to other venues. When the initial 8- year agreement expired Bernie didn't accept that any more as an excuse for paying a sub average fee. George had made no effort to either get a big title sponsor or the tax payer to chip in and they could not come to terms.
strad wrote:In looking back at old articles, the 60 mil came from 50 million to fix the place up plus 10 to Bernie for the first one and the price was doubling every year.
Ok, we are getting nearer. I found $ 90 mil cost for the F1 upgrade. Your 100% price increase looks a bit iffy, I'd say.

strad

I think it was $60 mil for INDY and the Midget wanted more.
See..If I wanted to twist things like you I could say..See I was right..50 to fix it up,,10 for the first year does make 60 and Bernie did indeed want more in the following years. :P But I won't :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

I want to see some nice banked turns, would make the track very unique. Something like Anderstorp, but longer
Saishū kōnā