Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Ratatouille -

To an extent I agree with what your saying. We Shouldn't expect anything.
Although, I do enjoy reading and looking at what said forum users post, BAR555, for example.
Im not the most technically gifted person when it comes to analysing the updates etc, But I am keen to learn and understand it, which is why I like the posts from the other users.
If I feel confident enough in the future, I will be doing the same, posting my views on the updates, so I can give back what the users have given me. But for the minute I rely on others using there experience for the knowledge base I would like to build up. I think I speak for a good majority of us when I say that.

Whats the views on the MP4-25 for the Canadian GP - Thinking strong/weak - where will it excel?
Last edited by dannyteasdale on 02 Jun 2010, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Belatti
Belatti

Ratatouille wrote:With all due respect, I think it is very annoying and unfair that people start complaining about the lack of pictures or technical chat on the various car developments.

After all, WE THE PEOPLE, are the one who make up the content on the forums. If most of us write s**t, then the forums become just that.

I think it is up to us the forum members to make the technical development forums interesting again, and not expect someone else to do it for us. It's a shame BAR555 can no longer post as many pics. as he used to, but why should we expect him to be the only one to do so?

Just some food for thought.
=D> =D> =D>
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

mith

@Ratatouille: Sometimes I really feel, my English is still lacking a bit here and there, as my intention wasn't whining about someone's lesser involvement here. I have really high respect for Bar555 and his work, as well as for Zgred, who usually provides great pictures and for many other posters. I just noticed, that this year it's really hard to get high-res photos - as if photographers got ban on showing details or something... I guess I can't express my thoughts clearly...

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Is it me or has Jenson got abit shorter in that cockpit?

Holm86

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

This thread should not be for discussing the performance of different teams at a certain GP. That discussion should be held in the respective GP thread, which for now happens to be Canada.

Reserve this thread for technical developmens about the McLaren. If you don't have anything to add that is about the development or specifically about the MP4-25 then please don't clutter this thread, same applies to the other car threads.

I have moved a lot of posts over to the Canada GP thread and other race threads. And some of the most recent f-duct/regulations posts will also be moved out into an appropriate thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

kalinka
kalinka

From f1.gpupdate.net : "We have a new front wing again," the Team Principal said on Tuesday. "We had a new one as part of the package in Istanbul, which didn't work - we think we've understood that and so we've modified it and hopefully that will work."

It's interesting to read, am I the only one who didn't notice that a new front wing didn't work in Istanbul ? What if it had worked ? Maybe then we would see McLaren on front row even in Istanbul.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

kalinka wrote:From f1.gpupdate.net : "We have a new front wing again," the Team Principal said on Tuesday. "We had a new one as part of the package in Istanbul, which didn't work - we think we've understood that and so we've modified it and hopefully that will work."

It's interesting to read, am I the only one who didn't notice that a new front wing didn't work in Istanbul ? What if it had worked ? Maybe then we would see McLaren on front row even in Istanbul.
It seemed to me that were rear grip limited in Turkey, thus the speed difference in turn 8. Now that could well be caused by the way the front wing wakes the airflow to the back of the car. Maybe that's what they are working on ..

Hangaku

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but if you watch the On-board Q2 lap with Lewis Hamilton at Istanbul on Formula1.com (http://www.formula1.com/video/race_edits.html), you will see that on straights, Lewis is holding the bottom part of the wheel with his left hand, and he appears to be pushing the back of his hand against something.

Have they now moved the F-Duct operation, so that it done with the left hand? Am I seeing things?
Yer.

feynman
feynman

Rather than have to write a whole new post, I'll just efficiently recycle one of my comments from scarbs blog....

>>>

If you look-back at the early races, Lewis doesn’t really do the the shuffle-down.
Bahrain there is perhaps a very early prototype of the move on the front straight, but not yet the full-monty, in Oz he does occasionally very slightly lower his left hand on some straights, but it is minimal, he still remains firmly hooked through the thumb hole.

But by China down the back-straight he is pretty much doing the complete lazy-left (as this move will now certainly be styled). Not quite, but almost the finished article.

If I was forced to have a bet, and without a decent photo of the cockpit we are all still guessing, I’d suggest that it is just a comfort/relaxed light-touch thing that he is experimenting with.
There is still a distinct lack of any lateral movement.
Obviously the right hand can’t participate due to upshifts on the straight.

Could be an elbow-duct?
Perhaps the left leg thing is not quite as optimal as we all think, but McLaren wanted to keep the action hidden; however once they saw Ferrari not penalised by stewards for driving no-hands, they moved the duct into the cockpit … but that doesn’t match with the gradual and progressive evolution of the new grip from season start, and only one driver.

And if there were a new option available, I’d have thought it would be the taller, more cramped Button that would be first to switch from leg to arm, not Hamilton. He is still sitting high and his legs must be jammed in there.

Anyone got a really clean photo into the left-hand side of the cockpit? Nah, doubt it.

Either way, for comparison, for what it’s worth, here is 10minutes of Jenson not much moving his left hand at all as he circulates the Turkish track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbeNokhlTbI

<<<

So after all that, who knows ... I doubt it, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, because it does look a bit new and strange, and definitely the action gets a bit busy going into braking zones and tight corners.

Here is another video, where Hamilton is talking through the new wheel, and mentions that the open-bottom horns were his idea, so maybe it is just a personal preference, comfort thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMvt0rO20g

raymondu999

Is there an English version of that YT video? Also, which one is that "Jenson" button that we keep hearing about? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

I'm curious why they moved from leg to hand.

Surely you'd want the left hand free to twiddle switches on the wheel down the straight?

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

richard_leeds wrote:I'm curious why they moved from leg to hand.

Surely you'd want the left hand free to twiddle switches on the wheel down the straight?
Very good point.

I noticed the hole on another car, apologies not sure which one, at the side of the drivers arm.

Ill see if I can find a pic.

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

dannyteasdale wrote:

Very good point.

I noticed the hole on another car, apologies not sure which one, at the side of the drivers arm.

Ill see if I can find a pic.
Ah - it Was Ferrari - but they've now revised it.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 0/755.html

feynman
feynman

I think the whole point is, that they probably didn't move it.

One driver moves his hand down the wheel, but doesn't ever really leave the wheel, a bolder variation of a move he's be playing with all year; the other driver in the same car doesn't move his hand at all.

(Yeah, of course the longer armed Jenson might not need to move, but I dunno, I'd expect to see something).

Hey, I am not married to the knee or foot duct, none of us know, and if better photography turns up I'll jump onboard with all you guys ... but for now, just on what we've got, I'm happier to stick with there being no new elbow duct.

The superior ergonomics of using a redundant brake-leg down the straights just seem too elegant and efficient to then start monkeying around with awkward arm and elbow combo-moves, hands off wheel and juggling the brake-balance.

OK so that's the mission for the snappers this weekend, get us some clear shots of the new front-wing endplates for an A/B from last race, and when you've done that, see what's under their elbow. chop chop.