Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
donskar
donskar

Re: Lotus T127

And, almost simultaneously, some key tech people join Lotus from Force India . . .

Is there bad blood between these two teams?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Richard
Richard

I'm surprised to see the wind tunnel model pop up again. Yes, FI have a legal right to sue, but it does seem a little late in the day and possibly posturing because they are upset about losing 3 staff.

Anyway, let's hope those 3 can bring a little more reliability and steady development to the team.

sticky667
sticky667

Wasn't the gearbox reliability X-tracs problem? Virgin, Lotus and HRT all had problems with it in the first few races.

Lotus were supposed to be working on their own gearbox in-house eventually from what I understand.

conni
conni

xtrac supply the gearbox and hydrolics and every break down has been due to these failing, mainly its the hydrolics that fail

conni

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Xtrac have been working flat out this year to bring improvements to the gearbox & hydraulics.

They are really restricted in what they change. As they have several teams using their components they are really restricted when it comes to changes outside of the original footprint of the components. Diffusers this year have been built alot tighter around the gearboxes so even minor shape changes in this area can cause issues.

I suspect most teams will probably drop Xtrac for next season. The new team coming in might inherit the Xtrac systems though :)

marcush.
marcush.

what is puzzling me about the gearbox /hydraulics is the fact that teams are all affected ,but at different times during the season..So Virgin ...from day 2 ...lotus
and HRT only later on.. could it be Virgin were the ones to get the first series and had to wait for upgrades longer whereas Lotus and HRT already got parts with improvements?

raceman

We may see a performance surge from Lotus midway through the season just enough to stay clear ahead of the new teams and 10th in overall standing (to earn FOM money) as they will shift their focus on 2011 challenger and I am sure it will be a surprise package on the grid. [-o<

zgred

raceman

^^

and here, ladies and gentleman, a new "step-wing" :lol:

raymondu999

Not sure I get your joke sorry... stepwing?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raceman

raymondu999 wrote:Not sure I get your joke sorry... stepwing?
:lol:

The Lotus' front wing plates pictured above look like steps, i.e. one placed above the other; so was the "word formation" of 'step-wing' :wink:

Belatti
Belatti

Good race for Lotus this Canadian GP!

They outlaped the other 2 new teams and where closer to the other rivals.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

raceman

A beautiful article on Lotus team on formula1.com:

Growing pains - are Lotus about to bloom?
formula1.com wrote:As they looked ahead to their first season in Formula One racing, 2010’s three new teams faced a mountain to climb. It’s tough for any competitor to keep up, but when you’re up against rivals who have survived for decades, have seemingly unlimited resources at their disposal and have won countless championships, the nerves are bound to be jangling.

But for one new team the weight of expectation must have felt particularly heavy. We take a look at how those given leave to bring the celebrated Lotus name back to F1 are faring…

With seven championships, 79 race wins and 107 pole positions, Lotus remain one of the sport’s most successful constructors, having achieved glory with the likes of Jim Clark, Graham Hill and Ayrton Senna, after being set-up by Englishman Colin Chapman almost six decades ago. Although they had the support of Chapman’s family, Lotus’s new lease of life came courtesy of a partnership between the Malaysian government and a consortium of Malaysian entrepreneurs led by Air Asia boss Tony Fernandes. The team also boasted the technical nous of F1 veteran Mike Gascoyne, who had honed his skills during spells with Force India, McLaren, Sauber, Tyrrell, Jordan, Renault and Toyota.

Compared to the death knells resounding from one of the grid’s expected new entries, and HRT’s very last-minute driver announcement and rushed car launch, the unwrapping of Lotus’s Cosworth-powered T127 was an organised and glamorous affair. Although arriving just five months after the team were granted entry by the FIA, Gascoyne’s car was sensible, manageable, and at the same time supple enough to easily assume upgrades. Most importantly, it was ready early enough for the team to take part in two pre-season tests.

If the car’s design had been carefully considered, so too had the driver line-up. In former Toyota star Jarno Trulli and ex-McLaren pilot Heikki Kovalainen, the team had unexpectedly signed two Grand Prix winners, who had enough experience to bring weight to technical improvements, yet still enough hunger to push the car to its absolute limits. All in all, the team’s hopes to pick up a few points during the season, and nuzzle their way into the tail end of the established teams, didn’t look too overambitious.

It may have been 15 years since the Lotus name had last appeared on the F1 grid - at the 1994 Australian Grand Prix - but at the 2010 season opener in Bahrain, the team did their eminent name proud. Visits from former Lotus drivers (and world champions) Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti and Nigel Mansell seemed to do the trick and after qualifying in 20th and 21st places, they became the only new team to see both their cars classified on the Sunday. Although 15th-placed Kovalainen finished two laps down on Ferrari race winner Fernando Alonso, the team had met their objectives for the weekend and team principal Fernandes declared himself ‘over the moon’.

In Australia they again out-qualified fellow ‘newbies’ HRT and Virgin, and Kovalainen finished in 13th, but Trulli was stymied by another hydraulics problem. At the next event in Malaysia, Kovalainen made it through to Q2 for the first time, after cannily taking advantage of strategic errors from Ferrari and McLaren. But while they desperately wanted to impress on home turf, Trulli was embroiled in a Lap Three collision, finishing five laps down in P17, and Kovalainen’s T127 succumbed to hydraulic issues. But at April’s Chinese Grand Prix, they finally fought with the big boys, and a clever tyre choice saw Kovalainen eventually finish ahead of the Williams of Nico Hulkenberg.

It was just the encouragement the team needed as they headed back to Europe, for an upgrade package and the Spanish Grand Prix. In Barcelona they were comfortably the fastest new team, but a pre-race software issue for Kovalainen meant Trulli was the only driver to finish (in 17th). At the next two races, in Monaco and Turkey, the T127 was undoubtedly the quicker car but again technical gremlins meant its improving pace was overshadowed by retirements.

Last weekend in Canada, however, car, drivers, and team eventually came good. Not only did Kovalainen qualify barely two-tenths down on the BMW Sauber of Kamui Kobayashi to take 19th on the grid, but in the race itself the Finn’s fastest lap was under a tenth slower than the other BMW Sauber of Pedro de la Rosa. At one point he was running as high as sixth, and even though he eventually finished in 16th, excitingly he’d managed to hold the Renault of Vitaly Petrov at bay. Yes Trulli’s T127 once again succumbed to a technical issue (brake vibration), but in contrast established team BMW Sauber recorded their fifth double DNF of the year.

Of course Lotus’s Montreal showing once again confirmed that they are leading the way from fellow new teams Virgin and HRT (they lapped both), but it was also a very respectable performance in comparison to the midfield. The team were understandably thrilled.

“Heikki drove a fantastic race, fighting all the way with the guys in front, and kept it up right to the end to keep Petrov behind him,” said Gascoyne. “I think this weekend has been a massive step forward for the whole team. Rather than being just one of the new teams, we actually got stuck in and raced the teams ahead, which is what we wanted to do, so congratulations and thank you to the whole team for getting us to this position.”

Next week’s European Grand Prix in Valencia will be Lotus’s 500th, and the team will no doubt be hoping they can return the legendary marque back to the scoreboard. With just a few tenths in it, Lotus are starting to look like a real threat - any stragglers at the back of the midfield had better watch out.

Next year, I hope Lotus will be the team to be watched by the midfielders and will be a strong contender with the likes of MG, Mark Smith, Butler, etc. [-o<

Richard
Richard

I see Lotus did their Valencia shake down tests in public.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=7523

Would love to see more of that from all teams

thestig84
thestig84

I thought I would share a very technical photo I took of the T127 at Goodwood today :wink:

Looking forward to the much slimmer version coming at Silverstone.