Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

ggajic wrote:One of problems with Mercedes GP might also be rear end suspension. Has anyone noticed how Michael tried hard in formation lap to heat up tires? After start, there was replay from rear end camera view, his rear right was smooking, that is how much hot it has become. Now I know he did it on purpose, but it is also worth noticing - no matter how much people are pointing to the nose - remember that rear end is actually propelling car forward!
That was a small brake fire creating the smoke. Not the tyre.

volarchico
volarchico

Anyone have picture of the rear-wing endplates showing any sort of ducting or routing for the air?

autogyro
autogyro

volarchico wrote:Anyone have picture of the rear-wing endplates showing any sort of ducting or routing for the air?

I do not think there is one, the bleed air up the end plates IMO is just control.
The leading edge of the wing is the intake and that is why the effect is minimal.

ggajic
ggajic

thestig84 wrote:

To me it seemed like tire, but I guess I am wrong. I will have to find recording of race somewhere to check it again, but even Schumacher said that his rear tires lost pressure in formation lap and that is one of the reason he could hold Button for one lap. Of course - this is not excuse, McLarens could keep pace with Red Bull, but since so many people are claiming that the nose of the car is problem, I might suggest that problem might not be at all with nose. After all / longer wheelbase solved understeering problem, yet car is still lacking pace..

Afterburner

thestig84 wrote:
ggajic wrote:One of problems with Mercedes GP might also be rear end suspension. Has anyone noticed how Michael tried hard in formation lap to heat up tires? After start, there was replay from rear end camera view, his rear right was smooking, that is how much hot it has become. Now I know he did it on purpose, but it is also worth noticing - no matter how much people are pointing to the nose - remember that rear end is actually propelling car forward!
How did he heated so much the rear brakes on formation lap?!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Afterburner wrote:
thestig84 wrote:
How did he heated so much the rear brakes on formation lap?!
On the warm up lap, by putting heat into tyres and brakes.
There is a set of instructions drivers have to perform to get the required temps in so the car does not fly off the first corner with zero tyre or brake temps.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

how are they doing this? put some paper tape on the inside of the duct and not letting cooling air reach the discs or is it dragging the brakes for the warmup lap + doing emergency stops or switching brake balance fore and aft ?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Accelerate then brake X10 with more and more ferocity...
David Purley

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Accelerate then brake X10 with more and more ferocity...
Schumacher is well known for that! Ask Juan Pablo!

Timstr
Timstr

autogyro wrote:
volarchico wrote:Anyone have picture of the rear-wing endplates showing any sort of ducting or routing for the air?

I do not think there is one, the bleed air up the end plates IMO is just control.
The leading edge of the wing is the intake and that is why the effect is minimal.
We now have to believe there is.
Fact is that Rosberg was urged to use his F-Duct during the Turkish GP.
And now on Autosport.com, Gary Anderson explained where the tubing runs on the W01.
"What the team instead has an airflow channel that runs through the cockpit, past the engine and gearbox via a duct in the underfloor and then up through hollow endplates to the rear wing main plane, and into the rear wing flap – where it can stall it for increased straight-line speed.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Given that Mercedes has the strongest engine yet the weakest of top speeds indicates that the Fduct actually sucks, and for Nico to forget he even has one is pretty telling as well ..

Don't expect much in Canada. Merc won't be able to beat McLaren and I expect Renault, Ferrari, and Red Bull to get the better of them too.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Timstr

I mentoned this on Sunday. Martin Brundle on the BBC showed us how it ran through under the engine covers, then went up 90 degrees along the rear wing support, then turns 90 degrees again along the actual wing to reach the staller.
Very ineffiecient if you ask me....
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

BreezyRacer wrote:Given that Mercedes has the strongest engine yet the weakest of top speeds indicates that the Fduct actually sucks, and for Nico to forget he even has one is pretty telling as well ..

Don't expect much in Canada. Merc won't be able to beat McLaren and I expect Renault, Ferrari, and Red Bull to get the better of them too.
If Merc run a decent rear wing, like 90 percent of the field, then they would have a decent chance of a good top speed.
However they insist on using the brick they currently call a rear wing.....
David Purley

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Timstr

I mentoned this on Sunday. Martin Brundle on the BBC showed us how it ran through under the engine covers, then went up 90 degrees along the rear wing support, then turns 90 degrees again along the actual wing to reach the staller.
Very ineffiecient if you ask me....
The fact that the tube changes angle by 90 degrees, is no real problem as long as the radius is not too sharp. A genle curve would not restrict the air pressure on any way. It is the diameter of the tube that would have the most effect.

Aryoh
Aryoh

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84124
Ross say F-duct still needs work, maybe they think of something