Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

gilgen wrote:Where does it say the max weight must also be 95kg? The min weight introduced so as to avoid the use of Berylium and other exotic lightweight materials. You will find that due to castings, strengtheners etc, very few engines, if any, are down the the minimum weight.
95 was hit long time ago with a bigger V10 lumps. With V8s I'm sure 95kg is easy.

PS look here
http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish/fe ... _982.shtml

volarchico
volarchico

That article has some pretty impressive statistics! 3 tons of force on the connecting rod?

donskar
donskar

volarchico wrote:
That article has some pretty impressive statistics! 3 tons of force on the connecting rod?
From the piece cited above:
Joining variable intake systems on the black list are variable exhaust systems and variable valve control systems. The power supply to the engine electrics and electronics is limited to a maximum 17 volts and the fuel pump now has to be mechanically operated.

What a sad joke. There are Toyota Tundra trucks employing these "black listed" technologies. This is Formula One? The pinnacle? Or is that nadir?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Donskar, with all of those technologies the power would skyrocket and so would the costs. Having said that it can be seen why F1 excludes so many of the now common techs, it's pretty simple. But this is going off topic, let us stop within this thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

marcush.
marcush.

very amusing to hear that fixing some cornerstones is a spec engine already.
the complete exhaust is still free in design as is all engine ancilliaries wich account for a lot of losses .
In fact only a small percentage of fuel is really propelling the car so to work on reducing the losses will yield double benefits...

ggajic
ggajic

True, I think that of 70 liters consumed on 100km effective, useful work is maybe obtained from 5 - 7 liters.. Rest is wasted through heat. I think that most efficient Diesel engine has efficiency of 50% and that is some two stroke massive ship engine - turbo charged. One of the reasons I would love to see turbo chargers back in F1. Although about high power output F1 should also be about efficiency.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

marcush. wrote:very amusing to hear that fixing some cornerstones is a spec engine already.
the complete exhaust is still free in design as is all engine ancilliaries wich account for a lot of losses .
In fact only a small percentage of fuel is really propelling the car so to work on reducing the losses will yield double benefits...
True, also a "spec" engine has to be identical to your opponents. How come the exhaust note of all 3 main engines are different?
More could have been done.
David Purley

timbo
timbo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:How come the exhaust note of all 3 main engines are different?
firing order/exhaust manifold tuning?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

timbo wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:How come the exhaust note of all 3 main engines are different?
2.4 litre V8 with near identical Bore stroke etc should have a near identical firing order. The exhaust I can accept to an extent but then it wouldnt be that different.
Personally I think they are different enough to warrant being considered unique.
More could have been done.
David Purley

autogyro
autogyro

All F1 engines are almost identical.
There has been no real advance in F1 engines for decades.
F1 is as close to a spec series as makes no difference.
The only technical area with variation is aero and that has little relevence.
F1 has been diluted to suit the car makers IMO, innovation is practicaly banned.

ringo

"I think when you get the F-duct working properly you have both," the Mercedes GP

"You have the downforce in the corners and then turn drag off on the straight. At the moment we are not turning off enough drag on the straight.

"As we said before, McLaren were clever enough to come up with the concept and have a lot more experience of it.

"You are seeing certain teams abandoned in Turkey and when it works properly it is a very, very powerful tool - and we are persevering with it.

"It works in a certain way with it, but not giving us the full benefit yet. We have the right compromise with what we have.

"We will be a little bit vulnerable with straightline speed but best compromise for that time and consistency on tyres."
Ross Brawn on the F duct on the Merc. I beleive Ferrari are having the same problems, not being able to refine the duct to a point where it is an asset and not a compromise.
What he says about tyres is interesting, I guess on the straights once the downforce is reduced on the rear wing with the duct, the rear grip reduces somewhat and the tyre wear may be a little more.

I say mercedes need a shark fin with a proper F duct.

They also need a baby F duct under the chin of the nose.

This way they keep the little df advantage they have with their nose, and drop the drag on the straights.
For Sure!!

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Ringo you write:
What he says about tyres is interesting, I guess on the straights once the downforce is reduced on the rear wing with the duct, the rear grip reduces somewhat and the tyre wear may be a little more.
In the unsourced quote you gave he does not mention tyres. Care to elaborate?

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
timbo wrote:
2.4 litre V8 with near identical Bore stroke etc should have a near identical firing order. The exhaust I can accept to an extent but then it wouldnt be that different.
Personally I think they are different enough to warrant being considered unique.
Absolutely not. Some are using flat plane cranks, and the firing order can be anyway you want, as long as the valves are in sympathy. The BMW engine had a totally different sound to others.

mike
mike

gilgen wrote: Absolutely not. Some are using flat plane cranks, and the firing order can be anyway you want, as long as the valves are in sympathy. The BMW engine had a totally different sound to others.
i think every1 is using flat plane cranks......and yes the firing order can be different but 1 cyclinder fires 1ce on 1 bank 1ce every 180 degrees.... its all the same........unfortunately..

raymondu999

I know this is a bit late, but just asking... about the car's understeery handling actually... could this have been the basic balance of the BGP001, but the wider front tyres countered the effect a bit?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法