What will come after the 2.4 V8?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
alelanza
alelanza

Re: Sensible ideas for what will happen after the 2.4 V8?

autogyro wrote:Curiosity has a habit of killing the cat.
Just answer my question.
You make the wild statement and I get to answer questions? Unsurprisingly flawed logic courtesy of autogyro :wink:
Alejandro L.

autogyro
autogyro

alelanza wrote:
autogyro wrote:Curiosity has a habit of killing the cat.
Just answer my question.
You make the wild statement and I get to answer questions? Unsurprisingly flawed logic courtesy of autogyro :wink:
I can play word semantics with the best of them but in this case there is no point.
You disagreed with a statement of mine and you continue to avoid posting a counter argument.
All this does is leave your posts inert.
Is it that you have in fact no idea what F1 was created for?

rjsa
rjsa

Formula 1 (as Formula 2 & 3 later) was created as a set of rules (mostly technical constraints) by which Grand Prix races would be held.

No noble intentions there, no mission statement. Only guys who liked to race trying to get organized.

And in history, if I remember right, KERS introduction was the single rule change implemented with some kind of technical evolution in mind. Almost all off the ruling so far were to limit and forbid technical novelties - trying first to keep speeds down, now speeds and costs.

autogyro
autogyro

rjsa wrote:Formula 1 (as Formula 2 & 3 later) was created as a set of rules (mostly technical constraints) by which Grand Prix races would be held.

No noble intentions there, no mission statement. Only guys who liked to race trying to get organized.

And in history, if I remember right, KERS introduction was the single rule change implemented with some kind of technical evolution in mind. Almost all off the ruling so far were to limit and forbid technical novelties - trying first to keep speeds down, now speeds and costs.
I do not believe there is one driver on an F1 grid that would agree with your descriprion of F1 risa.Perhaps in this safe modern age you are getting close to the view most people have these days though, based on all the virtual reality they absorb.
If so it is a sad shame.
If you are correct F1 has little place in the modern world and will simply degenerate into a spin tool for the car makers and oil companies. I see it as being well on the way already.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

I tend to agree with risa, F1 was never designed to aid the road car market...it was purely to build the fastest bespoke racecar within a defined set of rules.

Did renault introduce the turbocharger to further its development or to beat the opposition? Did colin chapman develop ground effects for the good of humanity? Did the coopers and jack brabham put the engine in the back because it would be a good idea for roadcars?

Maybe the public image has changed recently...not because the teams care about road cars...but to justify their existence in the public eye, kers is a case in point...no one ran it to help the world they ran it for the perceived advantage...when that advantage didnt happen many dropped it like a hot potatoe.

WhiteBlue

Mysticf1 wrote:I tend to agree with risa, F1 was never designed to aid the road car market...it was purely to build the fastest bespoke racecar within a defined set of rules.

Did renault introduce the turbocharger to further its development or to beat the opposition? Did colin chapman develop ground effects for the good of humanity? Did the coopers and jack brabham put the engine in the back because it would be a good idea for roadcars?

Maybe the public image has changed recently...not because the teams care about road cars...but to justify their existence in the public eye, kers is a case in point...no one ran it to help the world they ran it for the perceived advantage...when that advantage didnt happen many dropped it like a hot potatoe.
So what is that supposed to tell us regarding the topic? "Screw road relevant", I assume. I would make two points against that:
  • If the other objectives of F1 allow road relevance it would be good to make it so. If road relevant technologies are used it helps attracting manufacturers who have contributed to F1's success in the past
  • road relevance helps the FiA with their campaigns "make cars green". If they want to be credible they have to make F1 greener as well.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro wrote: I do not believe there is one driver on an F1 grid that would agree with your descriprion of F1 risa.Perhaps in this safe modern age you are getting close to the view most people have these days though, based on all the virtual reality they absorb.
If so it is a sad shame.
If you are correct F1 has little place in the modern world and will simply degenerate into a spin tool for the car makers and oil companies. I see it as being well on the way already.
Oh yes because every driver on the grid is sitting there in their cars going NOOO!! this new front wing modification and updated diffuser isnt going to have any affect on the development of the new renault clio 1.2 5 door, I must protest and write directly to the FIA to right this imediately.

So no im pretty sure no F1 driver on the grid shares YOUR description of F1 either. What ever YOU would like F1 to be in your magical world of fairys and princess', where anything that happens that you dont personally agree with HAS to be due to the EVIL oil barons and where everyone who doesnt have a surround sound system or have been to hear F1 engines at a race is uneducated and doesnt know what they are talking about, isnt necesarily what F1 ACTUALLY is.

Now im sure you'll go off on your high horse about something else, or tell us another way that were all gulible fools and wrong, or find that ive mis-spelled something as you always do when youve nothing else to add.

So to conclude, I am with Mysticf1 and rjsa in the asertion that you are wrong and that F1 was never ment to be a development ground for road cars.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

I never said screw road relevance, the reality is it has no impact on F1...the teams want to win full stop the rest is public image.

rjsa
rjsa

WhiteBlue wrote:
Mysticf1 wrote:I tend to agree with risa, F1 was never designed to aid the road car market...it was purely to build the fastest bespoke racecar within a defined set of rules.

So what is that supposed to tell us regarding the topic? "Screw road relevant", I assume. I would make two points against that:
  • If the other objectives of F1 allow road relevance it would be good to make it so. If road relevant technologies are used it helps attracting manufacturers who have contributed to F1's success in the past
  • road relevance helps the FiA with their campaigns "make cars green". If they want to be credible they have to make F1 greener as well.

You said: "F1 was originaly created for the ultimate development of vehicles for road use."

This is not true. F1 was designed in 1946 and started non championiship races in 1947. They were minding their own business back then.

Road relevance has came and gone many times, but it is not the main concern.

autogyro
autogyro

F1 was originaly created for the ultimate development of vehicles for road use.
I stand by this statement.

Anything else and F1 is then defined as a control formula.
If the ultimate technological development of vehicle dynamics is not its purpose, then it has no other reason for existance than to be a promotional gimmick for car makers and oil companies.

The global engine idea will firmly place F1 as no more than glorified formula ford with wings. Aero is the only thing most people want to talk about, I do not for the life of me understand why. It has been done to death.

alelanza
alelanza

autogyro wrote: I can play word semantics with the best of them but in this case there is no point.
Stop talking about what you can do and start doing it
autogyro wrote:You disagreed with a statement of mine and you continue to avoid posting a counter argument.
For me to make a counter-argument, there has to be an argument first. That's what 'counter' means :wink: . And this is elementary school semantics, yet you can play with the best of them?
autogyro wrote:Is it that you have in fact no idea what F1 was created for?
Do you seriously think i'll fall for this? i'm not 7 yrs old you know.
autogyro wrote:I do not believe there is one driver on an F1 grid that would agree with your descriprion of F1 risa
Wow, cool trick, now we have the whole grid posting in F1technical. If I were to say 'Autogyro I do not believe there is one driver on an F1 grid that would agree with your descriprion of F1', does that constitute a good enough counter argument for you? Sure feels cool to have all 24 drivers backing up my opinion, i should have tried this a long time ago =D>
autogyro wrote:If you are correct F1 has little place in the modern world
It's worked for the last 60 years and further back if you consider all motor racing in general
autogyro wrote:F1 was originaly created for the ultimate development of vehicles for road use.
I stand by this statement.
I'm sure you do, wouldn't make sense otherwise.

By the way, i really agree with binaryman's comment, he really summed up 10% of your contributions to this forum. Had he mentioned magical boxes then the other 90% would have made the picture complete ;)
Alejandro L.

autogyro
autogyro

Could you explain just one comment in your previous post.
I am certain that very few reading it will make sense of it.

alelanza
alelanza

autogyro wrote:Could you explain just one comment in your previous post.
I am certain that very few reading it will make sense of it.
That's cool, as long as any of the F1 drivers sitting right next to you made sense of it we should be ok then. I'm pretty sure any of them will be happy to explain it for you 8)
Alejandro L.

rjsa
rjsa

autogyro wrote: If the ultimate technological development of vehicle dynamics is not its purpose, then it has no other reason for existance than to be a promotional gimmick for car makers and oil companies.

This is spot on!

rjsa
rjsa

autogyro wrote: I do not believe there is one driver on an F1 grid that would agree with your descriprion of F1 rjsa.
If they were honest they would say they are in today for fun, to make money and to get laid. In no particular order. Regarding why it was created, their fathers weren't born yet, so I don't think they have authority on the matter.

If you asked Enzo when he started his team, he would say to make money and to prove Alfa Romeo wrong.