What will come after the 2.4 V8?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Sensible ideas for what will happen after the 2.4 V8?

xpensive wrote:Nice pic WB, but I'm pretty sure that the stock-block, cast iron, BMW-four used a sub-frame for support.

THe 1.5L V6s were fully stressed as you can see in the Honda and Ferrari designs. There is no fundamental problem to do that with an I4 if that were a problem. BTW those engines were considerably heavier than todays V8s (150 kg).
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 10 Jun 2010, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

WhiteBlue wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:WB, Max power isn't the only point being argued.
So what exactly are the points?

If it is noise I thought that the plan to stick with petrol will satisfy the noise lovers as sound suppressing catalytic soot filters will be avoided.
Image, history, technology, road car relevancy in respect to the manufacturers involved?

McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, and Nissan/Renault have high performance engines that are at least six cylinders in size. Why should they kneel down to the level of I4's just for the sake of high volume manufacturers which offer this type of engine when they don't even participate? Why not specifically cater or aim for the high performance market that doesn't use anything smaller than six cylinders?

And since most super and high performance cars use V8's (or larger) why not stick to the current 2.4? The current formula is way more relevant than any four banger version, especially at least for the following decade. Add KERS if you wish, but keep the V8.

It is in my opinion that super and hp car makers are being underrepresented in this debate. F1 is to super/hp cars what Formula Ford/Abarth is to high volume passenger cars, is it not?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive
xpensive

Yes, the V6s were all fully stressed members, what's you point? BMWs I4 was not, which was my point from the beginnning?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

scarbs
scarbs

The BMW I4 was only semi-stressed as it was production block altered for use in a single seater. Modern F3 engines by comparison are fully stressed, the head and sumplate widen towards the rear bulkhead to create the lateral stiffness. Of course an I4 is taller than a "V" engine and hence has higher beam stiffness, to eradicate the subframe Renault still use in F1! unless the team lay the engines down to get the head and inlet hardware out of the airflow, ala the later version of the BMW I4. Still I see no reason the I4 can't be stiff enough for F1.

My view: commit to make F1 driven by electric motors by 2020. Be it powered via batteries, hydrogen fuel cell or hydrocarbon driven generators.

xpensive
xpensive

An I4 will be radically less stiff laterally than a V8, just as you xplain with the F3 engines, why some sort of support will be needed.

scarbs
scarbs

Agreed, inherently a simple I4 is less stiff laterally, I'd suggest the teams with produce engines shaped to make up for the deficiency, rather than external subframes.

xpensive
xpensive

How, just with very wide block or head? I'm afraid that even a purpose built I4 for the forces in F1 will need some sort of subframe.

Any info on the never-raced Alfa Romeo 1.5 turbo I4, how was that one attatched to the Ligier chassis?

Tim.Wright

why not a v4?. You get the width back and you get a shorter engine.

Tim

PS A subframe is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it would be lighter to have a spaceframe or composite structure taking the loads instead of adding extra cast aluminium to the engine (which is in the wrong place anyway for stiffness).
Last edited by Tim.Wright on 10 Jun 2010, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Not the engineer at Force India

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I was thinking the same thing Tim.

A V4 IMO would be a good way of not only reducing capacity, cylinders and emmisions. But also a way for cars to at least sound good too.

Unfortunately, I read on another technical site that these engines are not only thirsty, they also have firing order issues.... :?:
Anyone more technical than myself care to elaborate...
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

I think it's more about complexity than anything else, two heads and four cam-shafts to bergin with.

But the confifuration did very good in the saab Rally cars of the 70s.

Tim.Wright

Yea true, its complicating something again which was delibrately simplifed.

I retract my suggestion of the V4.

I think as long as its fast and kinda noisy, most of the public wont care what is under the hood.

Tim

xpensive
xpensive

If the FIA and FOTA want to go turbo from 2013, I hope they decide on a V6, when an I-4 simply feels wrong for F1, to me anyway.

1.8 liter, or 3/4 of the current format, methanol-burners with multi-stops for refueling. Push-to-pass boost buttons for show?

Tim.Wright

I like the added excitement of the refuelling but they really need to make it safer for the crew. Maybe a throttle/clutch override coneected to the fuel hose attachment.

I know people think that an I4 is wrong for F1 but I belive they are unfortunately a minority. I would guess something like 70% of the people at an F1 race couldnt tell you how many cylinders the cars have let alone the capacity. Nothing to back that up, just a thought.

Tim

anor
anor

I find it strange the fuel type E85 hasn't been brought up in this discussion. For those of you who don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

and some quotes from the page for the lazy among you:

"These modifications have not only resulted in lower GHG emissions, but also resulted in 10-12% horsepower and torque increase at the wheels. Because of its low price (less than $2.00/gal in some places) and high availability in certain areas people have started to turn to using it in place of the high end race fuels that typically cost over $10.00/gal."

"Ethanol derived from sugar-beet as used in Europe or sugar-cane as grown in Brazil in industrial scale is generally seen as having a very positive CO2 balance with up to 80% reduction in well-to-wheel CO2."

And there is already a trend in that direction in f1 today:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/17/fe ... anol-blen/

WhiteBlue

This is the opinion of the FiA. The full text can be read as a PDF if you click on the link.
Gilles Simon, FiA wrote:Ideally, we would like to understand where road cars will be in five to ten years. We would then create regulations for three years from now to anticipate this. This is the most difficult route because we don’t want to impose our own views. We need to have a proper view of where the manufacturers will be. I think that could actually add to the show because with reduced displacement engines and lower torque, you could use additional electrical torque to differentiate between the cars, while at the same time developing and showcasing hybrid technology and performance that will be used in passenger cars.

There have to be technical regulations to avoid useless costs and I think all the manufacturers understand this. One way to do this is by using longer-lasting components. It is possible to have some common items as well but it is very important that there is clear differentiation between the cars from each manufacturer.

We have to try to push forward with fuel efficiency. If, as an engine engineer, I am given a maximum fuel load, I will try to give the driver the maximum horsepower possible, building the most efficient engine I can. It is a technical competition, and as efficiency is obviously good for road cars, that could be good for them as well. So we want to try to adapt the rules we have in the run-up to the new engine formula.”
And here we have Ferrari. The autocar article is linked.
Amedeo Felisa, Ferrari wrote:F1 has to set up something that's helpful for the real world. The best solution is for an engine that is turbocharged and GDI. That is what we would support. It is the best solution for driving efficiency and utilisation of the engine in a positive way.
And Mercedes with the autoevolution source linked as well.
Norbert Haug, Mercedes wrote:We need to be mindful that we are building the cleanest cars we can. The engine will be downsized in 2013 because the fuel consumption has to go down, and we need to cut carbon emissions. But we must not think that a 700bhp engine is going to be the greenest car ever, because that's not great.
The most esteemed moderator voicing his opinion
mx_tifosi wrote:Since most super and high performance cars use V8's (or larger) why not stick to the current 2.4? The current formula is way more relevant than any four banger version, especially at least for the following decade. Add KERS if you wish, but keep the V8.
We actually see that both Ferrari and Mercedes principally agree with the objective of making the next formula a downsized turbo. For me that means there is no point in keeping the old formula and miss out on the efficiency. Although it is not in the sound bite that I repeated here, both companies principally agreed with 1.6 L of displacement. There is no understanding of a cylinder configuration atm.

Historically Ferrari, Renault and the TAG "made by Porsche" 1.5L engines were all custom made V6. Only BMW used an existing I-4 block which had successfully been used in road cars and saloon racing cars. This was probably the reason why it used a subframe as it had not been designed to be used as a fully stressed member of the chassis. There isn't a fundamental obstacle to design I-4 engines fully stressed if the requirement is set in the spec.

As far as I'm aware the engine configuration plays a small part in making a 1.5L F1 turbo engine successful. The coming generation will basically compete on fuel efficiency as all the players agree in the above statements. It is also very likely that the engine will have a minimum weight limit and a CoG spec like the V8 to make them more cost efficient and long lived. We have to expect that the new engines will also face the multi race sporting requirements that were introduced for V8s for cost reasons. Gilles Simon essentially hints to that when he talks of useless costs. Specifying a common configuration could be driven by three motives. First there would probably be one configuration which leads to the highest efficiency (suspect I-4), second it would be good for customers who would change the supplier (as Brawn from Honda to Merc) and third all deviating concepts would later converge to the most efficient concept anyway.
mx_tifosi wrote:Image, history, technology, road car relevancy in respect to the manufacturers involved? McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, and Nissan/Renault have high performance engines that are at least six cylinders in size. Why should they kneel down to the level of I4's just for the sake of high volume manufacturers which offer this type of engine when they don't even participate? Why not specifically cater or aim for the high performance market that doesn't use anything smaller than six cylinders.
Historic or marketing reasons might compel an engine supplier to prefer a deviating configuration as mx_tifosi seems to think. I am inclined to think that this will not be the case as engine manufacturers tend to make rational decisions when it comes to such important projects. When the 3.0 Liter engines were free in configuration everybody including Ferrari eventually used similar V10 engines although Ferrari traditionally was associated with V12. My view is that the same thing will happen with I-4, V4, Flat4 and V6 in the new formula. Traditionally high performance markets have gone with higher cylinder counts due to higher top power and smother delivery. Volume manufacturers usually selected lower cylinsder counts for cost efficiency. The criteria will not be valid with the new formula I think. Lower cylinder counts offer less friction and better fuel efficiency. I expect this to be the dominant criterion in the choice of cylinder configuration. It will apply to premium, performance and volume manufacturers alike. If you look to Le Mans you see that it also applies to performance prototypes like the Audi R15 which runs less cylinders than it's predecessor for exactly the same reason.

There would be a simple way to accommodate other configurations though. One would specify a bolt on pattern which would be possible for V6 and I-4. this would be mandatory and would ensure that customers can exchange engines between different suppliers. With the new formula it should be possible to supply a GRE configuration. I actually think that the competition would naturally converge on the GRE spec. We would have to see if that is the common view. The FiA have said that they will listen to the manufacturers and not impose their view. When I read Gilles Simon I do get the impression that he wants the basic ICE to be a common design, which the GRE would qualify for. In his concept the brand differentiation comes primarily from the electric secondary torque of the KERS system.

The biggest difference between the first and the second F1 turbo formula would be the inherent competitive advantage. The first generation would compete primarily on power/weight ratio at a given load pressure. There were also some gentle fuel load restrictions compared to what we have to expect for the second generation.

The new generation turbos would radically compete on fuel loads that would be like 30-40% of the consumption under full power. The engines obviously would be able to go to full power but not for something like 60% of the race as current engines do. Current engines would consume perhaps 250 L of fuel for a GP distance on full power. The actual consumption is more like 180 L due to the engine not being on full throttle all the time. I expect the new turbo fuel allowance somewhere between 80 and 100L initially.

There would be three working fields for lower fuel consumption. First the new engines would have significantly higher fuel efficiency due to direct injection or even HCCI, due to no throttling losses and the use of the turbo energy from the exhaust. Second all forms of regeneration would be legal including AWKERS and HERS. Thirdly the fuel allocation would comprise an element that is contributed by reduced drag and downforce. With todays aero rules too much drag and downforce is possible. I expect a significant cut to perhaps 50% of the 2010 level of drag and downforce already with the new 2011 rules coming into effect. The 2013 rules should follow the same philosophy.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)