Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

BreezyRacer wrote:The obvious reason of digging in, whether that be dirt or more likely, a gravel trap. Just look at Kubica's accident in Canada a few years ago and tell me which structure you would want over your head.
I would prefer neither thank you. Maybe you could explain why Mercedes design would dig in where the other would not.

Because as far as I know both will dig in at speed.
More could have been done.
David Purley

wrcsti
wrcsti

Im pretty sure gravel traps arent deep enough for it to be an issue.

Cicatrix
Cicatrix

Here a good picture of the new diffusor that came with the Turkey update.
Compared to the old diffusor (lower picture) it is much wider and higher (compare where it hits the LEDs in the taillight). Finally looks like a decent 2010 spec diffusor and should create a lot more downforce then the old one.

aral
aral

Cicatrix wrote:Here a good picture of the new diffusor that came with the Turkey update.
Compared to the old diffusor (lower picture) it is much wider and higher (compare where it hits the LEDs in the taillight). Finally looks like a decent 2010 spec diffusor and should create a lot more downforce then the old one.

Note also, the revised exhaust outlets.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

New wing above the crash structure, very like the R30, T127 & TF109.

bugref
bugref

What will it takes, before Ross brawn, decide to end W01 development. They are wasting too much resources but to no avail, I hope they decide to end the development of the car and concentrate on the W02 car.

marcush.
marcush.

could it be brawns guys do have a kack handed handle on their tyre pressures?
It really seems they have it in check for a certain set of circumstances but as soon as they need to bang out a quick lap under new conditions the balance is anywhere but good.
I really don´t believe it is something overly sophisticated they are lacking ,it is just a reluctance to deviate from the numbers coming from some sophisticated numbers crunching that does not match up with reality...
It was last year ..same this year.
but something like this would explain why Schumacher was really upset after Q2 ...someone blew it obviously..

aral
aral

bugref wrote:What will it takes, before Ross brawn, decide to end W01 development. They are wasting too much resources but to no avail, I hope they decide to end the development of the car and concentrate on the W02 car.
Unfortunately the 2011 rules have not been finalised as yet, and the tyre supplier, specification not agreed either. It would be somewhat for anyone to start seriously on their 2011 car, until the rules are written down and studied. But it would be possible to draft out something, using considered speculation??

ggajic
ggajic

One of the things they might consider is new nosecone. Has anyone seen Audi R15 plus, winning 1-2-3 24h Le Mans?

marcush.
marcush.

the nosecone is for sure not their problem but building a new one would...as this would make their car illegal as the front crash structure is homologised=fixed for the season.

But it sure makes you wonder why they seem to be right up there speedwise at certain points of the race.
Schumacher was incredibly quick in the opening stage and rosberg had also a very competitive time in the early part of the race..with emptying tanks everything detoriates...and all the effort goes to waste...

siskue2005

marcush. wrote:the nosecone is for sure not their problem but building a new one would...as this would make their car illegal as the front crash structure is homologised=fixed for the season.

But it sure makes you wonder why they seem to be right up there speedwise at certain points of the race.
Schumacher was incredibly quick in the opening stage and rosberg had also a very competitive time in the early part of the race..with emptying tanks everything detoriates...and all the effort goes to waste...
it shows that they still have the weight distribution problem
with weight loss the the cars weight distribution shifts and causes bad handling

wesley123
wesley123

ggajic wrote:One of the things they might consider is new nosecone. Has anyone seen Audi R15 plus, winning 1-2-3 24h Le Mans?
It has been tried before, and what you create is just an shorter nose, it isnt efficient for formula one cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

This car is a pig with lipstick and a lot of bandaids. At heart i think this car is an Earth dreams Honda.
It can put up a facade of a few fast laps and qualify pretty well. But when the makeup drips off, you're left with a car that is no match for a force India.

It's very troubling that the car is only good with a specific amount of fuel, and good tyres.
When the fuel is gone, the tyres wear down at an alarming rate. The car then cannot fight for position and just has to limp home to the finish.

Mercedes need to bias the setup to run with light fuel, and take longer to warm the tyres. They greatly need the pace in the final laps of the race.

Handicaped is a strong word, but the W01 seems like it is a "special needs" car, born with a incurable drawbacks.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

The worrying thing is that Mercedes vowed to work flat out to climb to the top but yet we can see only that after a short rise the car drops back again.

so in my view :Brawns guys do not develop as efficiently as Macs or Renault
they do not really know why the car does not perform
they had the very same status already last year ,but had the benefit of bagging those
early wins that helped them to grab the Championship.

it does not make sense to stop developing when you are back.At this time you can only learn from what and why things go wrong.To start with a fresh piece of paper does not help you erase problems you have not fully understood.

Morteza

Schumacher faced too much trouble in the race. Even STR cars overtook him! What's the problem with this car?! It's like a mixed bag, it performs well then ruins everything it has achieved! Sometimes I regret why Mercedes bought the former Honda, the team that never won! :(
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare