Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Well Well Well :lol:

deus1066
deus1066

On the BBC qualifying programme today, Martin Whitmarsh claimed there is an aero package on the way for Silverstone worth up to 0.5 secs.

mkay
mkay

deus1066 wrote:On the BBC qualifying programme today, Martin Whitmarsh claimed there is an aero package on the way for Silverstone worth up to 0.5 secs.
I thought it was going to be a "new car", as Legard and others have said.

Aero package, according to MW, is made up of the following:

Front Wing
Rear Wing
Bargeboard?
Deflector?

0.5 sec? Nah, more like 0.1-0.2

deus1066
deus1066

mkay wrote:
deus1066 wrote:On the BBC qualifying programme today, Martin Whitmarsh claimed there is an aero package on the way for Silverstone worth up to 0.5 secs.
I thought it was going to be a "new car", as Legard and others have said.

Aero package, according to MW, is made up of the following:

Front Wing
Rear Wing
Bargeboard?
Deflector?

0.5 sec? Nah, more like 0.1-0.2

Yeah, I assumed aero package, but it'll probably be a complete aero/mech package. Anyway he claimed it would be in the order of 0.5 seconds. I remember last year Red Bull brought a huge update to Silverstone and basically had the fastest car thereafter. It will be interesting to see if they do the same again.

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

He never mentioned that the update in silverstone would be worth 0.5 secs. He said from a big update they would hope for a 0.5 seconds gain as a target. MW didn't give any figure directly relating to the upgrade package for silverstone. Xx

segedunum
segedunum

:roll:

segedunum
segedunum

Ratatouille wrote:As a matter of fact, you will see that even in FP3 they were still holding something in the tank.
Where? They didn't even have enough in the tank to get to the pits in qualifying 3. :lol:
So there are your facts SegeDUMBnum.
Oh, cheers. That makes everything so clear and so well backed up. :roll:

Poleman

Stop this thread pollution please... [-o< Whatever McLaren has or had in the tanks doesnt belong here,unless u have some technical info about the TANKS themselves... #-o #-o #-o

Feel free to visit this link...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8584

Shaddock

segedunum wrote:They are not sandbagging. They're running more wing and downforce than virtually everyone else and yes, they are using the F-duct, as confirmed by Martin Whitmarsh. Is there any evidence that they aren't?

The stability of the car under braking is noticeably bad. You could visibly see it in Turkery.
I'm not sure they do suffer from instability under braking, not in its true sense. What you saw in Turkey was the front of the car nodding like a 'donkey' under heavy braking over bumps. Braking instability is usually yaw from the rear, not pitch from the front.

ringo

The car is a long way from redbull still. It won in Canda, but still has it's weaknesses.
One of it's strength is it's tyre wear balance. It wears the front and rear more evenly than the redbull.
The redbull treats the fronts ok, but wears the rears more severely. It could be because of their massive accelration, gearing, traction, downforce in the rear.
For Sure!!

thestig84
thestig84

Err wrong place for that Ringo. You have mentioned it in the Canadian GP thread already. Its a post on relative performance not the technicalities of the 25.

Shaddock

ringo wrote:The car is a long way from redbull still. It won in Canda, but still has it's weaknesses.
One of it's strength is it's tyre wear balance. It wears the front and rear more evenly than the redbull.
The redbull treats the fronts ok, but wears the rears more severely. It could be because of their massive accelration, gearing, traction, downforce in the rear.
More rear DF helps reduce tyre wear as the car slides less, more likely suspension geometry and weight distrubution than anything else.

ringo

thestig84 wrote:Err wrong place for that Ringo. You have mentioned it in the Canadian GP thread already. Its a post on relative performance not the technicalities of the 25.
It's difficult to toe the line.
The cars perform in the race, and that's how we measure the progress i guess.
A lot of useful observations go unnoticed because they neither get discussed in the race thread or the car threads.
The race threads seem more for arguing penalties. :wink: So i just moved the car related stuff into the car threads.

]
For Sure!!

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Martin Witmarsh said McLaren had a little change in the difuser for Canadian GP, this was the best foto I cud find but cant see anything diferent.

Last edited by Marco Alves on 14 Jun 2010, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

spinmastermic

[/quote]Yeah, I assumed aero package, but it'll probably be a complete aero/mech package. Anyway he claimed it would be in the order of 0.5 seconds. I remember last year Red Bull brought a huge update to Silverstone and basically had the fastest car thereafter. It will be interesting to see if they do the same again.[/quote]

Maybe not. The Silverstone Red Bull was the first one with a propper double diffuser. The 25 needs a cleaner exhaust package. The bumps are ugly.