Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Simply put, best race of the year so far!!

Plenty going on, lots to follow!!!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Just_a_fan wrote:
andrew wrote: Schumacher is an easy target and any defence is bound to attract pathetic cheap shots.
Pathetic cheap shots are driving into the side of your only title competitor (not once, but twice!), parking your car so as to prevent your title competitor from completing his qualifying lap. Using illegal systems on cars is also pretty cheap. TC on the Benetton anyone...
Using illeagal systems on cars. Firstly nothing was ever proven and secondly you can't blame a driver for something their team does to a car.

You mention him driving into a competitor twice. Not sure when that was. I'm assuming you mean in 94 and 97? So how did he drive into cars that were behind him? Damon Hill has since admitted that he went for a gap that wasn't so if he is over it, I'm sure you can get over it as well. In 97 JV had 2 wheel on the grass trying to get past so an accident was bound to happen. As for Monaco, he went too fast into the corner and screwed it up. I remember Schumacher sitting in the car asking the marshalls to push him out the way.

Anyway, anything that Schumacher may have done is tame in comparission to Senna taking Prost out in Japen.

I think we are off topic now.

ringo

komninosm wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
ringo wrote:When the data comes out i can show you the real pace of the redbull. It's quite monstrous. It didn't take much laps for webber to pull out an 11.8 second gap to Hamilton.
The redbull only seemed slower becuase of the tyre situation. The rears dont wear evenly with the fronts.
Vettel made the redbull seem slow, he was 0.4 behind Button for a good while then dropped back to 5.4 seconds. He was saving tyres and was still holding his gap, when he pushed he easliy did fastest laps, up to 2 seconds faster than anyone else.
And I am a Mclaren and ferrari fan, so i haven't drank the redbull cool aid or have on the sliver and blur checkered shades.
The real picture is really hard to judge. The tyres were so different in performance, lap times varied with traffic, Webber had an empty track with his softs compared to others on a full tank.

Anyway, will be nice to see the numbers. I hope you are able to make post an analysis soon.
Why was Webber so slow on his last laps? Was it to avoid having to pass Vettel?
Canada is hard on engines

Mark Webber:
We then turned the car down to save it for the next race. We expected this to be a tough event and in the end we were closer than we thought. I wanted to get some champagne today, it didn’t happen, but we’ll be back.”
For Sure!!

andrew
andrew

I'm pleasently surprised that no one had any brake problems.

marcush.
marcush.

you can all have your opinion but :
Schumacher is a very good or ver ylucky starter this year ...always making up places.
He is not sittting behind opponents but attacking and doing exciting overtaking moves controlled aggression never unfair.
When he is fighting rearguard ,he is the best Trulli I have ever seen and when beaten he accepts does not do anything off.
so even if he does not win a race this year ,which is fact to me he has shown a lot more than once that he is still a top driver.
without the Kubica incident he´d be directly behind Rosberg or maybe even in front.

MattF1
MattF1

andrew wrote:I'm pleasently surprised that no one had any brake problems.
Apart from Jarno's Lotus.

manchild
manchild

That's what happens when you gaze at one driver only...

andrew
andrew

MattF1 wrote:
Apart from Jarno's Lotus.
Ah! Didn't realise that was brakes. I knew he was out but wasn't aware of the reason.

ISLAMATRON

Once again THE BOSS was clearly the best driver out there today. Passed both Webber & Alonso for the lead and was not himself passed on track. His passing of the backmarkers was simply outstanding and what truly set him apart from a very strong Alonso today. But even as strong a drive from Hamilton as it was, he was clearly holding back and conserving his tires very well, until those 2 blazing "back the eff off laps" he sent to Button.

After being extremely dissapointed after friday practice and skipping(an epic) sat qually I thouroughly enjoyed the race today at the track. Again I must apologize to Giblet for recommending the general admission tickets, I hope you enjoyed the race nonetheless. To any forum members considering attending the Canadian GP in the future, grand stand tix are a must, all the general admission viewing areas are complete garbage. Luckily, with some scouting I was able to find a fairly decent pile of garbage to stand on to watch the race... and with only 6 trees in the way... lucky me. Everyone was sure that Bernie had those trees planted there purposefully, I would not doubt it for a sec.

Great action in the race today, but not so much in the hairpin, at least not in F1, a couple of Ferraris took a beating inthe challenge race. Alonso went back to the "normal" racing line for the race, so it tends to lead me to believe he may have been trying to drive around a problem with the car.

MS was a maniac out there today, definatly deserving of several penalties, and thats just from what I saw on the jumbotron... he is driving like a desperate man.
Great recovery by Button, I thought he was done after Webber passed him and drivers were lining up to eat his lunch. Great job by Rosberg, he just put his head down and picked off driver after driver while still keeping his nose clean, MS should take lessons :wink: .

I still dont understand how the McLaren strategy worked, even without an SC... I am at every loss to comprehend it and will have to make a detailed analysis of the lap times to see what went down, and how they finished ahead of the RBR's. My whole understanding of race stategy may have just been turned on its nose.

Giblet
Giblet

Andrew, you still think that JV had two wheels on the grass?

There is no hope for you, you invent whatever history you want man.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Islamatron,

The gen admission was not too bad as I found good spots. I am never doing it again however, grandstand is the only way to go there.

I spent a good portion at the hairpin on the stairs so it was pretty good.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew

Just watched a video and I must be thinking of something else. It was a fair lunge from JV anyway. I would call it a racing incident that was blownout of all proportion.

Morteza

I believe Trulli cooked his brakes :mrgreen: !
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:Islamatron,

The gen admission was not too bad as I found good spots. I am never doing it again however, grandstand is the only way to go there.

I spent a good portion at the hairpin on the stairs so it was pretty good.
That was the "garbage pile" I was standing on, at the top/rear near the concession stand selling the way overpriced t-shirts. We had a cool group of guys there watching the race, and other things :wink: , I hope you werent that idiot who jumped off the stairs and busted his ankle. I'm glad to hear my suggestion didnt totaly wreck your weekend.

komninosm
komninosm

andrew wrote:Just watched a video and I must be thinking of something else. It was a fair lunge from JV anyway. I would call it a racing incident that was blownout of all proportion.
Yeah, right, something else... [-X
He got DNF in championship for that, no classification for Schumacher that year.

Do you recall the other incident with the black flag?

Or how about one he got away with where he served a stop and go penalty on the last lap of a race? That was cheating too imo.